Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:02 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default What if.. Holiday Road?

So I'm sitting here during the holiday season watching tv and seeing all the Old Navy spots with Chevy Chase and all the Vacation movie stuff.. Even with Johnny Mathis featured!
Do you think that we will see anything with LB in those spots? Was he even approached to do it? Especially since his song is sooooo the theme of the series of movies...
It would just seem odd it he wasn't included in the idea of the ad campaign... Don't cha think?

When you don't know what it is
But you can't get enough of it
Old 12-13-2012, 12:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LB Freakazoid View Post
So I'm sitting here during the holiday season watching tv and seeing all the Old Navy spots with Chevy Chase and all the Vacation movie stuff.. Even with Johnny Mathis featured!
Do you think that we will see anything with LB in those spots? Was he even approached to do it? Especially since his song is sooooo the theme of the series of movies...
It would just seem odd it he wasn't included in the idea of the ad campaign... Don't cha think?
I don't think he will be included. Michele
Old 12-20-2012, 07:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

http://www.amazon.com/Hollywood-Chri...wood+christmas

http://blog.joshuaadams.com/index.cf...wood-Christmas

Josh Adams's Blog

Hosting by FusionLink

Lindsey Buckingham's Holiday Road (from National Lampoon's Vacation) on CD: A Hollywood Christmas

Posted At : December 18, 2012 10:20 PM | Posted By : Josh Adams
Related Categories: Music

I'm reticent to post this because, topically speaking, it's extremely out of character for my blog, which up to now has been pretty much exclusively about technology with the occasional personal post. However, in my experience this is difficult information to find--and detailing hard-to-find information is very much in keeping with the character of my blog! Hopefully this post will be found by others searching for the song on CD in the future. So with that: onward!

If you're a fan of the National Lampoon's Vacation film series, you'll doubtlessly be familiar with Lindsey Buckingham's seminal "Holiday Road." Now, let's say you want to enjoy this song on CD or download a legitimate digital version of it--well, it turns out it's not so easy to find! As well as I can tell, as of this writing, it's not available for legitimate digital download at all (well, there's a live version readily available but I can't find the version used in the film). And when it comes to finding a legitimate CD with the song on it, I've only been able to find it on one: A Hollywood Christmas. I had a lot of difficulty in finding the existence of this song on this CD by searching for the song on places like Google and Amazon; I was only able to find it via AllMusic.

What about soundtracks for the films? There are claims that "Holiday Road" was made available on CD via a limited CD run of the soundtrack for National Lampoon's Vacation as well as via a limited CD run of the soundtrack for National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. The research I've done leads me to believe that these CDs are merely bootlegs for which someone has created a compelling faux backstory. As far as legitimate soundtracks for these films go: there was a soundtrack for National Lampoon's Vacation released with the film--but that was 1983 and not everything (or much of anything I think) was released on CD at that time (I like vinyl and all but it's not what I'm looking for here). As for National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, it appears it never had a soundtrack released on any media.

Incidentally, "Holiday Road" is in no way a Christmas song--and in fact, the irony is that it's so much not a Christmas song that, from what I've read, the only one of the four major Vacation films that doesn't include the song is Christmas Vacation (a fact that makes the purported limited run soundtrack for that film all the more suspect as there is no reason it should include "Holiday Road" if the song wasn't even in the film). So it is odd that it appears on A Hollywood Christmas. I suspect that someone at WEA knew it wasn't available on CD and took A Hollywood Christmas as an opportunity to rectify that situation, even though it wasn't exactly a perfect fit. But whatever the reason, I'm glad it's there!

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 12-20-2012, 09:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Unless there are different versions of A Hollywood Christmas, the song is not there -- at least not on what I found on iTunes.

Curiously enough, though, the song does seem to pop up more and more in Christmas compilations. There are so many covers of it now that it seems especially silly that it's never been released on CD.

I think one of the things Lindsey should do is put together a compilation, throwing in things like Holiday Road, Time Bomb Town, all those great Stones covers, the Joni Mitchell song. It would a lot of fun.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

^ i can find 2 different compilations called "A Hollywood Christmas" -

a CD with 12 songs on amazon (2009) -

and a completely different album with 20 songs by the same name on itunes (2011) -

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/a-...as/id481601748

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"