Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-21-2007, 05:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I can read the review. Nice job!
Old 06-21-2007, 07:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Christine McVie a "professional groupie"? Hardly.

A groupie is an insulting term for a young woman who hangs around the music scene because she wants to date the musicians, not because she's a musician herself.

Christine not only was a musician herself, she was a pioneering musician; one of the first women to not only sing in a band, but to write her own songs AND play an instrument. She was NOT a groupie, and this phrase is both demeaning to Christine and completely inaccurate.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default christine mcvie

Not only is she not a groupie,
even if you never heard any chicken shack, you have to appreciate her piano playing. She played (uncredited) on Mr Wonderful, the second fleetwood mac album, when she was christine perfect. Her tasteful fills in "Love Taht Burns" still sends chills up my spine. She was a favorite "sideman" for many a visiting blues musician when they came to england. Her singing consistently improved over time and she was really pressed into service after Peter and Jeremy left the Band. you might listen to the Blue Horizon Boxed set to hear some of her work in the studio before she was a member.

Last edited by doodyhead; 06-21-2007 at 08:26 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 06-21-2007, 10:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Again, the only Fleetwood Mac studio album that Christine McVie doesn't appear on is their very first one. She's either a member or a guest on every other one...from Mr. Wonderful all the way to Say You Will. "Professional groupie"? That deserves a glass of wine toss to the face as Christine did to Lindsey in New Zealand during the Tusk tour.

Last edited by chiliD; 06-21-2007 at 10:52 AM..
Old 06-21-2007, 11:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodyhead View Post
Not only is she not a groupie,
even if you never heard any chicken shack, you have to appreciate her piano playing. She played (uncredited) on Mr Wonderful, the second fleetwood mac album, when she was christine perfect. Her tasteful fills in "Love Taht Burns" still sends chills up my spine. She was a favorite "sideman" for many a visiting blues musician when they came to england. Her singing consistently improved over time and she was really pressed into service after Peter and Jeremy left the Band. you might listen to the Blue Horizon Boxed set to hear some of her work in the studio before she was a member.
Amen. And, at least on my copy of Mr. Wonderful, she is credited with playing piano. What the record jacket doesn't specify is which songs she plays on. Time and "aural evidence" (Mike Vernon's phrase) have proven she played on all of Green's tunes, while Jeremy played pianon on his own.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Ummm...it's "Scarrott".

And, you'll need to have a seance, she's LONNNNNG gone. (RIP, Mrs. Scarrott)
blast! i knew i spelled it wrong... it's been a while
Old 06-21-2007, 03:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

OK, I take back my thumbs up in my previous post. I can't believe I missed that "professional groupie" comment about Christine.

That description is completely inaccurate as well as demeaning to Christine. Check out the Fleetwood Mac Blue Horizon box set, her Chicken Shack albums as well as the Christine Perfect album.

Last edited by macfan 57; 06-21-2007 at 06:24 PM..
Old 06-21-2007, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepace View Post
Christine McVie a "professional groupie"? Hardly.

A groupie is an insulting term for a young woman who hangs around the music scene because she wants to date the musicians, not because she's a musician herself.

Christine not only was a musician herself, she was a pioneering musician; one of the first women to not only sing in a band, but to write her own songs AND play an instrument. She was NOT a groupie, and this phrase is both demeaning to Christine and completely inaccurate.

well put...
Old 06-21-2007, 06:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I also disagree with the comment that "Sentimental Lady" is *sappy*. Of course, this is a matter of opinion, and I actually agree that the later solo version of the song (Lindsey B.-produced) *is* sappy, but I think the 'Bare Trees' version is a wonderful, heartfelt ballad. I love the way the vocals overlap in the last verse ... almost like a round. I think both Bob's and Christine's singing are better, containing more honest emotion, in this version; they both sound too polished on the later solo version. As for the lyrics, Bob Welch is known for writing lyrics that come out of a place of mystical understanding within his creative soul, and sometimes you need to just roll with the flow of the lyrics to appreciate them. I think '14 joys and a will to be merry' is a great line, very evocative of a feeling of great contentment.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Dark in my flaming staircase, being totally unfamiliar with the artist or her music

Quote:
She was NOT a groupie, and this phrase is both demeaning to Christine and completely inaccurate.
Quote:
"Professional groupie"? That deserves a glass of wine toss to the face as Christine did to Lindsey in New Zealand during the Tusk tour.
Quote:
That description is completely inaccurate as well as demeaning to Christine.
You people can get awfully riled up over a tongue-in-cheek comment. Nobody got upset when I called Mick a "psychotic beanpole" or John the "inebriated bassist" in my review of Then Play On. Of course she wasn't really a groupie. Duh!
Old 06-22-2007, 06:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SortaSavageLike View Post
You people can get awfully riled up over a tongue-in-cheek comment.
So ... are you saying we should just let it pass when someone makes an insulting, inaccurate and hideously sexist comment about a classy lady, who also happens to have done a lot with her career about breaking a gender barrier? That reviewer used a phrase that was the same as calling Christine a hooker -- and I wasn't about to let that pass without being corrected.

I think YOU'RE the one who's reacting inappropriately.
Old 06-23-2007, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SortaSavageLike View Post
You people can get awfully riled up over a tongue-in-cheek comment. Nobody got upset when I called Mick a "psychotic beanpole" or John the "inebriated bassist" in my review of Then Play On. Of course she wasn't really a groupie. Duh!
hey hey hey... watch ur mouth or i'll wash it out with cheap vodka