Originally Posted by holidayroad View Post
Found these pictures:
Oh, those are nice. Hadn't seen this shaving piece before. Michele
Old 11-05-2013, 02:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Maybe initially.
Certainly, after the White album. As Stevie says they had never made that much money before and I'm sure the Brits were letting them know, "if you want this good thing to continue, you better stay in line."

But by the time Rumours hit, I don't think they were pushing Lindsey and Stevie around. Well, they were pushing Stevie, but not threatening her with being fired.

That's how Lindsey was able to get Tusk, because they valued him so much and they knew that he knew it. As for Stevie by then they knew she was a concert draw and that her songs were hits, so they valued her too, but she has said that they treated her like the little sister and I think that's true. They were always telling her to be quiet and stop pestering them, so to speak. I mean, that's how she ended up in Sly's bedroom, more than likely. Someone probably said to her, "oh my goodness! Can't you just go somewhere and be quiet for like 10 minutes." I don't think anyone here ever thought that Christine didn't boss Stevie around just like everyone else. We've seen and heard her do it. So, it's no surprise it was going on when there was no recording or video as well.

Actually, I don't think most people think of Christine as perfect because she is an angel or saint. I think they think she is perfect, because she jams with the guys, sings like a starling, has a sarcastic sense of humor and a brusque streak. In most cases, she's not loved because she's good, she's loved because she's BAD. I don't think anyone ever thought she wasn't a drunk given to throwing drinks in peoples' faces back then. It's part of her legend.

As for Stevie, when she found her solo success, she enjoyed the power she had over all of them. That's why she said things like they were all like nervous cats on a hot tin roof, scared that her solo career would jeopardize FM. Even though she had FM hits from the very beginning, until Bella Donna came out, I don't think she or the rest of the band realized she could make it without FM.

Michele
Old 11-05-2013, 05:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Redcoats vs Blue coats it seems.

We know who won in the end.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Actually, I don't think most people think of Christine as perfect because she is an angel or saint. I think they think she is perfect, because she jams with the guys, sings like a starling, has a sarcastic sense of humor and a brusque streak. In most cases, she's not loved because she's good, she's loved because she's BAD. I don't think anyone ever thought she wasn't a drunk given to throwing drinks in peoples' faces back then. It's part of her legend.
Agreed. Obviously Chris and John weren't saintly. Far from it.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 11-05-2013, 06:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Agreed. Obviously Chris and John weren't saintly. Far from it.

Well, at least as far as their Halloween costumes, that was 35 years ago, and should be taken with a grain of salt. Everything was about 25% as PC as it is now.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:39 PM

I have never thought of Christine McVie as a saint or an angel. I believe part of her appeal to me was that she found a niche in FM during all of the incarnations.

I remember her saying she would get a bit cheesed that Stevie got most of the attention at first. But then she admitted that it helped her find her role in the band. Afterward, she admitted she wouldn't really want that much attention anyway.

Musically, I think she is very complimentary to most of the musicians she'd ever played with. She has a fantastically unique voice and a very quirky key style.

I think she was a bit more uppity than even Stevie was perceived to be. But then again, so was Bette Davis.

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 11-06-2013 at 09:17 AM..
Old 11-05-2013, 06:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Well, at least as far as their Halloween costumes, that was 35 years ago, and should be taken with a grain of salt. Everything was about 25% as PC as it is now.
I know. I was just making a joke.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 11-05-2013, 09:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickingham View Post

I'm curious about this as well. I hope they get released so I can own copies of them!
At the moment, I have to watch videos so I can listen to the songs. It's frustrating!
Vinyl copies are hard to come by and I don't have a turntable.
I'm in the same boat. I'll settle for cassette copies, but I'd prefer something that I'm more familiar with.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

There is no U.S. vs. England as the British members moved to California with encouragement from Bob well before crossing paths with Buckingham-Nicks, but whatever...

Why do some go to simplistic extremes of someone being either a saint or a demon? It seems that way with the current president and all, and that sort of thinking is getting pretty tired.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca View Post
There is no U.S. vs. England as the British members moved to California with encouragement from Bob well before crossing paths with Buckingham-Nicks, but whatever...

Why do some go to simplistic extremes of someone being either a saint or a demon? It seems that way with the current president and all, and that sort of thinking is getting pretty tired.

Nobody is a saint and nobody is a demon. We all have a bit of both in us. Good people have done bad things, and bad people have done some good things.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm admittedly not a huge Chris fanatic (I enjoy her tunes and her role within the band but I have never been one to read up on the entire history of her personal life, etc) so none of my comments are in any way influenced by some burning desire on my part to paint her as a saint. I dont think she was one (nor anyone else in the band). Chris has never seemed cuddly to me, although that is obviously just a perception I've gathered from watching her in interviews and seeing her type of dry humor. In truth, although I love her presence in FM, I have no strong feelings regarding Christine as a person one way or another.

So no, my comments re: Bob attributing his experience in FM as being the same experience SnL had in FM have absolutely nothing to do with somehow backing up my own opinion of Chris on the "absence" of complaints. Stevie's complained plenty about being treated like a child, and I don't think Lindsey was all that thrilled to be on FM in the beginning in general. He certainly wasn't thrilled about John and Mick having him play the LP or play with a pick. I believe that they all three had a vision of what FM was and should be and that it wasn't just "hey Stevie, hey Linds, y'all take over now," from the get go.

However, my comment was responding to Bob's assumumption that Chris would have gotten on to Stevie about her on stage antics. Stevie has specifically stated that she never did, although she probably thought she was nuts. According to Stevie, she never laughed in her face at her twirling or told her to cool it with the melodrama. That's not an opinion based on the absence of a comlaint by Stevie. It's based on what she actually said about that particular situation.

I would be shocked if it was all sunshine and roses, but I just personally don't think it's fair to make a blanket generalization about people and their personalities and use that to inform every thought you have of them from there on out with no considerations. The thing about personality is that it's all very relative to the person you are interacting with. Dynamics within groups change as the members of the group change.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

And none of my comments stem from any desire not to accept "the truth" about Christine. I don't care to whom she was mean.

I remember looking at her very awkwardly accepting those gifts in Japan and I thought to myself, "Wow. That's not a woman I'd approach if I was ever in the vicinity." I don't like her any less as an entertainer, just because I think she might be a prickly human being.

And I don't care what Mick did to anyone either. I always think he's doing something anyway. Right about now, I hope he's doing everything he can to get Christine back in the band, so hopefully his scoundrel ways are working on my behalf.

Go Mick!

Michele
Old 11-05-2013, 11:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The Paris albums were released on CD in Japan. You can find them on eBay, but they'll cost you.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 11-06-2013, 12:18 AM
Senior Ledgie

Smile Chris' leaving the band

The truth about Christine leaving the band is none of the above. She never liked touring as per Bob and didn't want to move to the US and go on with FM. Mick talked her into it, but by the time she finally left the band, it was because she simply did not want to tour anymore, no more, no less.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:08 PM
Senior Ledgie

Smile Paris CD

I believe the first Paris cd is on sale on Amazon. FYI