Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless child View Post
Stevie's words were very comforting.
They were. Classy gal. I am wondering if/when we will hear from Fleetwood and the McVies...
Old 06-07-2012, 07:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Unbelievable. Speechless

Old 06-07-2012, 07:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

So sorry to learn of Bob's death--I had heard he had health problems--so sad. Rock in Peace.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:30 PM
Senior Ledgie

damn, another chapter closes.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — Bob Welch, a former member of Fleetwood Mac who also had a solo career, died Thursday of a self-inflicted gunshot wound, police said. He was 65.

Police spokesman Don Aaron said Welch's wife found him with a chest wound at their south Nashville home around 12:15 p.m.

Welch was a guitarist and vocalist for Fleetwood Mac from 1971 to 1974. He formed the British rock group Paris in 1976, and had hits including "Sentimental Lady" in 1977 and "Ebony Eyes" in 1978. Fleetwood Mac's Christine McVie and Lindsey Buckingham did backing vocals on "Sentimental Lady."

Aaron said Welch apparently had had health issues recently. He said a suicide note was left.

Fleetwood Mac's career took off in the mid-1970s after Welch left the band. "Dreams" was a No. 1 hit in 1977 and "Don't Stop" the same year. It later became the anthem for Bill Clinton's presidential campaign. "Hold Me" was a hit in 1982 and "Little Lies" in 1987.

Welch, a native of Los Angeles, scored his biggest hit with "Sentimental Lady," which reached No. 8 on the Billboard chart. His other singles included "Precious Love" in 1979 and "Hot Love, Cold World" in 1978.

When Fleetwood Mac was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1998, Welch was not included in the group.

"It basically comes down to the fact that they don't like me anymore," he told The Plain Dealer of Cleveland at the time. "I guess they can do what they want. I could understand it if I had been a sideman for a year. But I was an integral part of that band ... I put more of myself into that band than anything else I've ever done."

Longtime Fleetwood Mac singer Stevie Nicks told The Associated Press that Welch's death hit her hard.

"The death of Bob Welch is devastating ... I had many great times with him after Lindsey and I joined Fleetwood Mac. He was an amazing guitar player – he was funny, sweet – and he was smart. I am so very sorry for his family and for the family of Fleetwood Mac – so, so sad ..."

Founding member Mick Fleetwood did not immediately respond to e-mails for comment Thursday.

As a songwriter, Welch had his songs recorded by Kenny Rogers, Sammy Hagar, the Pointer Sisters and others.

In 1999 he released a CD, "Bob Welch Looks at Bop," a salute to bebop music in the 1940s.

In an interview with The Tennessean in 2003, Welch said he never dreamed he'd be remembered for much.

"I just wanted to play guitar in a good band," he said. "I wanted to make the music I love. I wanted to travel the world and have adventures."

Welch also said "music is disposable now. It doesn't have the emotional impact anymore. That's sad."

He had lived in Nashville since the 1990s.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...=Entertainment
Old 06-07-2012, 07:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh man .This is sad.devastating.Great songwriter. musician.RIP Bob.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 06-07-2012, 07:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Deep down I hope he knew just how many people he touched with his musical contributions. His memory will live on through all of us every time we listen to a song he wrote or played on.

Rest in Peace Bob.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:50 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Unhappy

What a pity. You were a true legend, Bob. May you rest in peace... and thanks for the music!
Old 06-07-2012, 07:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I just read this too and immediately came here. It's very sad-- Bob was a really nice, interesting guy. I must have talked to him at least 20 times while running this site and he always had such colorful stories. I loved his musical contribution to the group too and still often listen to many of his songs. I'll miss him.
- Marty
Old 06-07-2012, 07:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I am shocked. I always thought it was a great shame that he was not inducted with the band in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. RIP Bob
Old 06-07-2012, 07:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't have a twitter account so I wasn't able to ask this guy where he got the info, so this may or may not be true.

Jimmy Palmiotti‏@jpalmiotti

Bob Welch left a suicide note. He killed himself with a gun. He had cancer. This all is so sad. RIP.

2:46 PM - 7 Jun 12via web · Embed this Tweet

http://twitter.com/jpalmiotti/status/210850188976324608
Old 06-07-2012, 08:00 PM
joe

Holy F***!!!!! Total shock and MAJOR bummer. What the hell? I haven't read all the posts yet...

Ugh...such an important part of the band and so underrated. I have to say I like the Bob Welch era second to the Rumours one. Actually, sometimes it's the other way around. Good albums in that period that I listen to to right after the other. Not good.

Odd, I was at Home Depot today and heard Ebony Eyes. Was picturing the Cal Jam performance and even (in my head) adding the Stevie parts.

RIP Bob...and I am still pissed that he was never inducted into the Hall of Fame. Travesty.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerlongBoots View Post
I don't have a twitter account so I wasn't able to ask this guy where he got the info, so this may or may not be true.

Jimmy Palmiotti‏@jpalmiotti

Bob Welch left a suicide note. He killed himself with a gun. He had cancer. This all is so sad. RIP.

2:46 PM - 7 Jun 12via web · Embed this Tweet

http://twitter.com/jpalmiotti/status/210850188976324608
Apparently he's a guy who writes for Marvel Comics. I could see him being a friend of Bob's.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
I will never forget the first time I heard Sentimental Lady.
So beautiful. I listen to the CBS news station on the radio. They don't play music, so when they broke in with the opening of Sentimental Lady I knew that there was going to be an announcement. Even though I guessed they might say that Bob Welch had passed, I didn't know it was going to be as bad as it was.

I think we feel that we know him a little more than most of the members, because "Missus" did interact with fans here in the past and Bob also was active on his own site.

Fourteen joys and the will to be married . . . the melody of that song was almost like a meditation chant.

He seemed to love his wife so much. I can't believe she had to find him. I'm so sorry.

Michele
Old 06-07-2012, 08:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I decided tonight is the Bob Welch-era Fleetwood Mac on vinyl night. I just noticed the track listing stamp on my copy of "Bare Trees" is backwards. Cool!

The ONLY cool thing to come out of today is there have been some pretty cool pics of Bob posted that I haven't seen before. My favorite is this gem:

Screw Jimmy Page and Don Felder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Founding member Mick Fleetwood did not immediately respond to e-mails for comment Thursday.
Relax. I'm sure he's just in more shock than Stevie. He'll say SOMETHING. When has Mick ever been at a loss for words?