The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

there are some differently worded and more in-depth and possibly more revealing tidbits in this interview -

i found the part when he talked about performing Big Love alone on stage interesting - something about how it's nice to be front and center and appreciated for his guitar skills.

also, there was a part about SN becoming a front person and main draw of FM (or something like that, LB used better expression but i'm too lazy to go back and re-listen) as they became huge and that removed her from him / what BN relationship was and took her into different stratosphere, and he wasn't necessarily enjoying being in the background.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 08-11-2013, 04:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Some parts of the interview I transcribed as I was listening:

“Well, I mean, we are having dialogues about trying to figure out what we’re doing beyond this because we have this EP right now, which is four songs. We are thinking about 2014 - could we go in and finish an album? Could we string a couple of years together for a change? That would be novel. So we’re talking on that level and, I guess, sort of behind that is everything else because I don’t think you can get to that point without there being some laying down of all that.

But also, I think there are times when it is difficult for Stevie and me to separate the reality from the role. Because back in the seventies, in the late seventies, clearly it was the reality. I’ve been married for a long time, I have three beautiful children - best thing that ever happened to me, relatively late. Which, I wouldn’t have been ready for it earlier. So that’s a reality now and yet here I am still writing songs about Stevie and that has now become the role I’m playing. And so I think that we both understand that there’s been that separation and that, at some point, reality sort of slipped into being the role.”
— on whether dialogue has been fostered offstage and on the difficulty of separating reality from the role, and how reality has slipped into being the role

-

“You know, we tend to tour every three years, something like that, and you would think that somehow our dynamic would have flatlined by now but, if I go back two tours to maybe 2004, what was interesting about that tour was that there was a lot of animosity still between Stevie and me. We were coming off making the Say You Will album and there had been some tension in the studio. Then you come to 2008 or 2009 or whenever that was and that had been neutralised but, somehow, there was kind of a void in terms of Stevie’s and my dynamic.

And now you cut to this tour and it’s gone the other way and so somehow now we are acknowledging the fact that we’ve known each other since we were 16, 17 years old and wondering what’s it all about, you know. And still wondering, you know, maybe wondering where it’s going but, yes, I mean, it is cyclical, and a song like Say Goodbye which was written close to ten years ago when my children were born and I was able to sort of take an overview of some of that.

The capsule of what seems to be running, a thread running through the show, you know, where Stevie and I are able to acknowledge some of this from time to time and I think it raises the whole level of the performances and, certainly, the subtext of what has gone on for the last thirty-some-odd years, you know.”
— talking about Say Goodbye, explaining dynamic changes, how they’re ‘wondering what it’s all about’, and acknowledging things from time to time

-

“If we had, hypothetically, remained as Buckingham Nicks, there was a parallel thing we had. I think our set of reference points as Buckingham Nicks was far more similar than it became in Fleetwood Mac. So who’s to say that wouldn’t have translated to an easier road for us to stay together as a couple?

Another thing is that, really, Christine McVie, when we joined the band, was on the outs with John McVie. They were married when we joined and, if Stevie had any of those thoughts, having another woman to corroborate with, it either enlarged the sense of that being the road or it certainly accelerated it, one of the two.

And the last thing is, again, that Stevie, at some point after the first album, her persona onstage was latched onto and she was, in a sense, called away by a larger world and separated on her own from me. So you’ve got those three things.”
— explaining three primary contributing factors to his and Stevie’s break-up
Old 08-11-2013, 09:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole21290 View Post
And the last thing is, again, that Stevie, at some point after the first album, her persona onstage was latched onto and she was, in a sense, called away by a larger world and separated on her own from me.
This makes perfect sense to me.
My 26 year old self in a long term relationship might easily walk away from my lover when things are rough, if I had 17 other men begging to be with me. I would figure that there is always a better relationship just waiting to find me somewhere out there. But my 51 year old self in a long term relationship might not want to test the waters outside of my current situation with the lover that I have spent quality time with through the good and the bad.

However, this theory of mine could be completely thrown out the window if all of a sudden a bunch of major hotties were beating down my door for a date. I would hope that I'd hang on to my morals. But one never really knows.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:

“If we had, hypothetically, remained as Buckingham Nicks, there was a parallel thing we had. I think our set of reference points as Buckingham Nicks was far more similar than it became in Fleetwood Mac. So who’s to say that wouldn’t have translated to an easier road for us to stay together as a couple?

When it comes down to it, there are just too many variables to what the relationship of Lindsey and Stevie would have become. Even if they had stayed Buckingham Nicks, I have my doubts that they would still be in a relationship all these years later.

Too many things could have ended it...like if Buckingham Nicks had never 'made it' as an act....or if they had and later Lindsey had wanted to go in a 'new wave' direction as artists or if Stevie had wanted to go the 'country rock' direction instead....or if they had married and one of them wanted children and the other didn't....or if Stevie was addicted to drugs but Lindsey didn't feel he was....

Too many shippers never think about all of that. To them, SN and LB would have just 'lived happily ever after'.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:00 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
lol. i loved this tweet and think it goes well with your outrage:

@ChrisRagalie
Have any two people milked a breakup more than Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham?

also, "lack of thought for fans" in your post is really funny! how dare he / they?!
I swear, Elle...after being gone from the world of FM and SN since The Dance, I mean I bought the records, all of them and saw every tour live, but no other media...up until then I was a totally into FM and SN, just got busy, but in the last couple months...geez, they talk to the media like they don't talk to each other. I can never understand the real point LB is trying to make because of all the mumbo jumbo. It seems SN's me and LB forever talk has been quieted a bit and I don't know if they are just lying out right, have simply forgotten or were too messed up to remember because they say one thing but later say something else!

Ok...SN says that from their breakup in '76 they had NO interaction at all! Then they do things on stage and write songs about each other that completely contradict That statement. For God's sake people...give us a break!

Plus all of this: I read all these tidbits about affairs during The Dance and SYW and Enchanted tours but couldn't find the material to check it out, watched some VERY strange you tube videos and looked for other key videos that ate no longer there to see it all. I hear about fights between LB and Kristin's ex?...Wow! I picked a hell of a time to get busy, lol!
Old 08-11-2013, 10:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by holidayroad View Post
When it comes down to it, there are just too many variables to what the relationship of Lindsey and Stevie would have become. Even if they had stayed Buckingham Nicks, I have my doubts that they would still be in a relationship all these years later.

Too many things could have ended it...like if Buckingham Nicks had never 'made it' as an act....or if they had and later Lindsey had wanted to go in a 'new wave' direction as artists or if Stevie had wanted to go the 'country rock' direction instead....or if they had married and one of them wanted children and the other didn't....or if Stevie was addicted to drugs but Lindsey didn't feel he was....

Too many shippers never think about all of that. To them, SN and LB would have just 'lived happily ever after'.
Maybe teeny boppers think that, but I think most adults who "ship" in whatever form think one of the main reasons for their chemistry both onstage & offstage is its unpredictability & volatility. And, I would say they both feed that & feed off of that in each other.

Personally, I think there was a commitment and love there that could have survived the inevitable strains of life if the other variables such as drugs and egos weren't as predominant in their life.

Last edited by CADreaming; 08-11-2013 at 10:24 PM..
Old 08-11-2013, 10:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Some parts of the interview I transcribed as I was listening:
thanks so much for transcribing and posting these parts here Nicole!

yeah that last part about Stevie being latched onto / drawn into bigger world i think is telling not just as a story line behind the breakup but also why he was so pissed about the whole thing on so many levels - not only was he dumped, but she became much bigger star and draw, while he was left doing stuff in the background / behind the scenes. he was jealous of what she had both personally and professionally.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 08-12-2013, 12:35 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
lol. i loved this tweet and think it goes well with your outrage:

@ChrisRagalie
Have any two people milked a breakup more than Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham?

also, "lack of thought for fans" in your post is really funny! how dare he / they?!
Funny! And true, lol!

As far as the "lack of thought as to how fans...", I sometimes think that he and SN are the biggest shippers of all!
Old 08-12-2013, 12:40 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LB Freakazoid View Post
The only thing about that interview that sucked was all the edits....
What do you mean "all the edits"?
Old 08-12-2013, 06:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs down Boring.... just a $$$ maker !!!

Vivfox said it best...let's just drop this terribly
boring subject !!! Why does Lindsey go on and on $$$
Stevie always does but for Linds to go that way also is
childish for a 60 something Dad! GROW-UP! cam
Old 08-12-2013, 12:44 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
Personally, I think there was a commitment and love there that could have survived the inevitable strains of life if the other variables such as drugs and egos weren't as predominant in their life.
I agree...
Old 08-12-2013, 08:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
there are some differently worded and more in-depth and possibly more revealing tidbits in this interview...

Did he mention anything about a Seinfeld reunion?