Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-20-2004, 06:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default SOTU Address Thread

Just getting ready (or, rather, bracing) for tonights onslaught.

Old 01-20-2004, 07:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: SOTU Address Thread

Quote:
Originally posted by dissention
Just getting ready (or, rather, bracing) for tonights onslaught.

Mee too!!!!

P.S. "tonights" should be possessive (like my spelling does not leave everything to be desired )

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 01-20-2004, 07:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Re: SOTU Address Thread

Quote:
Originally posted by strandinthewind
Mee too!!!!

P.S. "tonights" should be possessive (like my spelling does not leave everything to be desired )
Yeah, Mr. Shounds is going to lecture me on grammar.

Old 01-20-2004, 07:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Re: Re: SOTU Address Thread

Quote:
Yeah, Mr. Shounds is going to lecture me on grammar.
Not a lecture, just a pointer!!!! AND Caruso's teacher could not sing

I think it is so funny how everyone can spot mistakes other people make. Yet, I can read my post 15 times before sending it and sure enough there are like 10 typos!!! Plus, I am a self-admitted HORRIBLE typist!!

Old 01-20-2004, 08:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: SOTU Address Thread

Quote:
Not a lecture, just a pointer!!!! AND Caruso's teacher could not sing

I think it is so funny how everyone can spot mistakes other people make. Yet, I can read my post 15 times before sending it and sure enough there are like 10 typos!!! Plus, I am a self-admitted HORRIBLE typist!!
It's okay, we still love you. And I know what you mean anyway.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

All you liberals are probably salivating right now . . .

Well, someday when we're older
And my hair is silver gray
Unbraid with all of the love that you have
Like a soft, silver chain . . .
Old 01-20-2004, 09:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Let's see:

Gay people are the source of your problems America - so vote for me and I'll take care of them! I mean who the hell do you black - I mean Er a you gay people think you are? - Trying to be normal like "us" - Please!!! In the Lord's name, go back in the closet and don't bother us anymore with your sick, sin filled, promiscuous lifestyle! What - Oh my brother - Well, I mean, he didn't know those were call girls and its not a really, really most hugest kind of sin unless you do it in this country, get caught, and/or are gay! Again, gay people are going to burn in hell no matter what. But, we straight/WASP people can screw around all we want because we are the chosen ones. Therefore, do not mind that the same language that damns blacks - I mean Er a - gays to eternal hell also damns any adulterer, that book does not apply to us.

On the other stuff, yes Iraq had a program to develop WMD, Yes the world agreed about it, but I refuse to answer why I alleged knowingly false information to the American public and the world to make my case more compelling so that non-believers would believe me. I mean PUUHHHLLEEEZZZEEEE - after we invaded them, I said I should not have used it. What else do want from me?

Actually - I think W should have said SH was a fag - thereby making the hypocritical religious right hate him even more on an assinine grounds

Last edited by strandinthewind; 01-20-2004 at 10:05 PM..
Old 01-20-2004, 10:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

What a bastard.

He practically said that gay people are the root of some of our problems in America. He actually believes that abstinence programs will work. He actually believes that the majority of the country is agaisnt gay marriages. AND he believes that his joke of a program entitled "No Child Left Behind" is a good thing.

He has no clue.

Old 01-20-2004, 10:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Let's see:

Gay people are the source of your problems America - so vote for me and I'll take care of them! I mean who the hell do you black - I mean Er a you gay people think you are? - Trying to be normal like "us" - Please!!! In the Lord's name, go back in the closet and don't bother us anymore with your sick, sin filled, promiscuous lifestyle! What - Oh my brother - Well, I mean, he didn't know those were call girls and its not a really, really most hugest kind of sin unless you do it in this country, get caught, and/or are gay! Again, gay people are going to burn in hell no matter what. But, we straight/WASP people can screw around all we want because we are the chosen ones. Therefore, do not mind that the same language that damns blacks - I mean Er a - gays to eternal hell also damns any adulterer, that book does not apply to us.

On the other stuff, yes Iraq had a program to develop WMD, Yes the world agreed about it, but I refuse to answer why I alleged knowingly false information to the American public and the world to make my case more compelling so that non-believers would believe me. I mean PUUHHHLLEEEZZZEEEE - after we invaded them, I said I should not have used it. What else do want from me?

Actually - I think W should have said SH was a fag - thereby making the hypocritical religious right hate him even more on an assinine grounds
You said it.

Bush is a hateful, self-righteous man that I detest more and more. He is just hateful.

Also...

Drug testing should not be done in schools. Government funds should not be made available to churches.

Old 01-20-2004, 10:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Let's see:

Gay people are the source of your problems America - so vote for me and I'll take care of them!
You didn't mention Clinton's Executive Order of 1996 - guess that was okay. Ever see the Catholic Tom Daschle squirm on this subject? It's quite amusing.

By the way, I do support domestic partnerships and happen to be a Republican. Many of my friends don't understand how that can be, but does anyone believe 100% in the rhetoric their party spews? I don't. I just happen to side with the Republicans on most issues.

~Krista~
Old 01-20-2004, 10:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My thing is teach abstinence all you want because that really is the only way not to get AIDS, pregnant, etc. through sex. But, also realize that while some people may hopefully buy that concept and apply it in their lives, many if not the vast majority will not no matter how many billions of $$$ you put into teaching it. Therefore, teach other ave. of less safe but far more practicle procedures (condoms, monogamy, etc.). This at least gives kids a chance.

Old 01-20-2004, 10:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
My thing is teach abstinence all you want because that really is the only way not to get AIDS, pregnant, etc. through sex. But, also realize that while some people may hopefully buy that concept and apply it in their lives, many if not the vast majority will not no matter how many billions of $$$ you put into teaching it. Therefore, teach other ave. of less safe but far more practicle procedures (condoms, monogamy, etc.). This at least gives kids a chance.
They need to trash the teaching of abstinence. These days, kids are very sexual and they will not stop fooling around. Screw the abstinence education and pass out spermicide and condoms.

Old 01-20-2004, 10:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by GypsySorcerer
You didn't mention Clinton's Executive Order of 1996 - guess that was okay. Ever see the Catholic Tom Daschle squirm on this subject? It's quite amusing.

By the way, I do support domestic partnerships and happen to be a Republican. Many of my friends don't understand how that can be, but does anyone believe 100% in the rhetoric their party spews? I don't. I just happen to side with the Republicans on most issues.

~Krista~
I am unsure which Executive Order that was. If you are suggesting that the D are just as bad on the subject of gay marriage, you are correct in that the Defense of Marriage Act overwhelmingly passed with bipartisan support.

I do know, however, that Bill Clinton signed an Executive Order making it illegal to fire a govt. employee solely on the grounds that they are gay. To his credit, W has not rescinded that Order. Also, I do not think W is against gay people per se. I just think he has run out of demons to point to in an attempt to rally his conservative far right religious base. So, he selects gay people because he knows gay people are hated (I know of no other adequate word) by the conservative far right religious base. Notice, btw that W cleverly did not mention civil unions. He, and more importantly Karl Rove, will let the talk show guests right now address that.

Finally, I agree, the SOTU is a big pow wow about stuff few actually believe.

Old 01-20-2004, 10:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
They need to trash the teaching of abstinence. These days, kids are very sexual and they will not stop fooling around. Screw the abstinence education and pass out spermicide and condoms.
Well, I think they should at least mention it. Why not. After all, that is the only sure fire way. But, I agree - hand out the condoms, etc.

BTW - I am for drug testing in schools.

Old 01-20-2004, 10:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Did you see Ted Kennedy when they cut to him early in the speech? He shook his head and rolled his eyes.

All of the Democrats look bored (as did Condie Rice, actually) and sat while the Republicans gave 589 standing ovations.