The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-16-2018, 04:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Hunger and Ride This Road thread.

I thought I would open up the thread on the two new songs from the “ best of collection”. I can’t wait to hear what Lindsey decided to select of his new songs to include in this collection.
Old 08-16-2018, 06:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My thought process has been something along these lines,.... Are they completely new tracks that we haven't heard or are they just new titles, could they be Given Thing, or 'Steve's Riff'. Or maybe these are tracks with Mick and John on them that he wanted to get out before his new material next year, in a sort of 'cleanse'
Old 08-16-2018, 07:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcrazylove View Post
My thought process has been something along these lines,.... Are they completely new tracks that we haven't heard or are they just new titles, could they be Given Thing, or 'Steve's Riff'. Or maybe these are tracks with Mick and John on them that he wanted to get out before his new material next year, in a sort of 'cleanse'
I was hoping, but it would have no doubt been too much of a push to get it on the album in time and a bit ambitious perhaps.....but I wondered if these two tracks were an expression of his feelings about his firing. He loves to communicate through his lyrics but I guess by the titles this is not necessarily a reflection of earlier this year.
I assume they are just personal tracks he had previously written that maybe he didn't want to put on his future album
Old 08-16-2018, 08:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Lindsey seems to have a really slight figure these days, as if Kristen is keeping him on some sort of strict healthfood and fasting regime. So maybe 'Hunger' is about him actually just being hungry.

'Given Thing' and 'Steve's Riff'--I hope he doesn't put those two GOS/FM tracks on his Best Of when he left out 'Wait For You'!
Old 08-16-2018, 10:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo View Post
Lindsey seems to have a really slight figure these days, as if Kristen is keeping him on some sort of strict healthfood and fasting regime. So maybe 'Hunger' is about him actually just being hungry.
Yeah it's those skinny, hollow legs right?!
He must be staaaaaarving
Old 08-17-2018, 02:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Wasn't Hunger one of the titles someone found years ago that were registered along with a lot of other ones that became Buckingham McVie? I think Hunger will be a leftover from the Froom sessions that he wants to use up.

I don't remember Ride This Road being the same. It could be anything but I would be surprised to see a track recorded since his firing. I bet the track list for this album was settled ages ago.
Old 08-17-2018, 02:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Don't know about the songs but the single CD pre-order
is at number 16 on Amazon UK's top 100 chart.
Old 08-17-2018, 07:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm really curious to see if the new studio album will be released next year as it was intended to be released initially this year, or if some new material will be added?
Old 08-18-2018, 01:24 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fannymac View Post
I'm really curious to see if the new studio album will be released next year as it was intended to be released initially this year, or if some new material will be added?
My guess would be that he has been sitting on a few songs he hoped to record with Christine or even FM at some point. Since that option appears to be off the table for the foreseeable future, he may have decided to add some of those to the planned album. I think the compilation is the best release for him right now given the circumstances. It has a few radio hits most people will recognize which will make them more likely to explore his new album once it arrives. He also may want to start from scratch for his next LP and address the FM drama through his songs.
Old 08-18-2018, 01:51 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peestie View Post
Wasn't Hunger one of the titles someone found years ago that were registered along with a lot of other ones that became Buckingham McVie? I think Hunger will be a leftover from the Froom sessions that he wants to use up.
Yes, I thought I remembered the title Hunger from the same batch of songs that included On With The Show and a few others.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

So Hunger is on Spotify etc. now. Thoughts?

I think it's good, if slightly lightweight. It reminds me of the soundtrack contributions from the 80s. It's also got elements of Miss Fantasy and Sad Angel. I'm guessing it was from the EP sessions or later BuckVie ones because it fits completely in that style. Sounds maybe like it was produced by Froom?

I'm hoping the new album (when it eventually arrives) abandons the style of EP and BuckVie, even if it is "poppy". But I am fairly confident that will be the case because Lindsey isn't one to stand still!
Old 09-21-2018, 05:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I can only hear a snipit on I tunes so it’s hard to say. It sounds like a left over from Seeds.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:05 AM
Junior Ledgie

Sample? The song itself is basically a sample. It's a lean 2:22 and fades out just when it should be kicking in with a solo or a middle 8. I like it, just wish it had a little more to it.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:23 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamIsOver View Post
Sample? The song itself is basically a sample. It's a lean 2:22 and fades out just when it should be kicking in with a solo or a middle 8. I like it, just wish it had a little more to it.
Killer song. What's funny, is the lack of a solo is a cool trick; you wait for it and it doesn't happen. Very Buckingham. Leaves you wanting something more.

Living Legend
Old 09-21-2018, 09:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Love it!!!

Very catchy!
And the vocals aren't buried/reverbed to hell!

It's like he's come full circle from Law & Order (think "Trouble") and his later albums, bypassing the complex arrangements of OOTC and doling out simple, short, organic and catchy tunes.

He was criticized from the beginning for his songs being "too short", so nothing new there.

I was concerned about an untested track being included on the Anthology, but this is a winning inclusion in my book.

For those having difficulty accessing the song, here are the lyrics as I hear them:

Verse 1
I didn't notice
What I couldn't see
And what I couldn't see
I could never believe

Chorus
There was hunger, hunger
So much hunger, hunger
So much hunger, hunger
Makes me wonder

Verse 2
Beautiful sister
Told a few lies
When it came to taking names
It was all compromise

Chorus

Bridge
(Note--still only at the 1:00 minute mark here. It's a short song!)
Ooh that man he tried to stand
But he fell down to the ground
Layin' silent in the night
There was no sight or sound

Chorus x 2

Makes me wonder

Understated outro

Edit: Spotify info lists it as originally (c) 2015.

Last edited by DownOnRodeo; 09-21-2018 at 10:07 AM..