User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-04-2018, 12:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonmac View Post
Free Fallin was awful. Why does Stevie Nicks always feel the need to gain sympathy from people and her audience? I seriously ask this question to people on this board who are more knowledgeable about her than me. Using Tom Petty's death to do this makes me sick. What are these people doing?
This is a bit ridiculous.

Tori Amos covered Free Fallin’ a few days after Tom Petty died.

I also recently saw Garbage cover “Starman” as a tribute to David Bowie.

Do you call those cash ins too?? How many countless artists have paid homage to someone who is no longer with us on stage?
Old 10-04-2018, 12:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWILDheart View Post

Do you call those cash ins too?? How many countless artists have paid homage to someone who is no longer with us on stage?
I am a huge Petty fan and I'm not the least bit offended that they played "Free Fallin'". It's not my favorite TP song (it wouldn't even make my top 20 Petty songs) but the new lineup did a great job and Stevie's voice was in fine form last night. We all miss TP and it's a way of carrying on the music and the heart behind the music. It's beautiful if you ask me.
Old 10-04-2018, 12:51 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWILDheart View Post

Paying tribute is fine. I just don't care for the dramatic Tom Petty photos flashing on the screen while she plays a song that Mike Campbell admittedly didn't even want to do. Not a fan of entertainers obviously playing for the love of another group of people. Someone like Buckingham doesn't need that. His art and love from his family at home is enough. Just my opinion.
Old 10-04-2018, 12:54 PM
Senior Ledgie

I'm glad they honored Tom Petty with "Free Fallin." Given Mike's presence and Stevie's long friendship with him, why wouldn't they? The performance itself was a bit rough, but I chalk that up to both first-night nerves, high emotions, and the fact that Stevie's teleprompter clearly broke. In one of the videos, you can see Mike Campbell tell her that it's not working, and then Stevie clearly messes up the words throughout. I'm sure it will get better as the tour goes on.
Old 10-04-2018, 01:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonmac View Post
Paying tribute is fine. I just don't care for the dramatic Tom Petty photos flashing on the screen while she plays a song that Mike Campbell admittedly didn't even want to do. Not a fan of entertainers obviously playing for the love of another group of people. Someone like Buckingham doesn't need that. His art and love from his family at home is enough. Just my opinion.
Playing a TP song is just like Lindsey's "love for his family". TP and Stevie were very close friends. And Mike and Petty were best friends for 47 years.
Old 10-04-2018, 01:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I haven’t watched any of the videos yet but the written setlist looks great. They’ve pretty much churned out The Dance rehash every night for the last 20 years so it’s nice to see them shake it up, especially with hidden gems.

As for the people who are OUTRAGED that they did Lindsay dogs...HOW DARE THEY...well, where were you in 1987 when Rick & Billy did the same?

I’ll just leave this here.

https://youtu.be/jy9bfUsyrLw
Old 10-04-2018, 01:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
You don't want to be remembered as a complainer, do ya?
There's a list.
Old 10-04-2018, 01:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Mouse View Post
I am a huge Petty fan and I'm not the least bit offended that they played "Free Fallin'". It's not my favorite TP song (it wouldn't even make my top 20 Petty songs) but the new lineup did a great job and Stevie's voice was in fine form last night. We all miss TP and it's a way of carrying on the music and the heart behind the music. It's beautiful if you ask me.
Let’s not forget that Stevie covered “Free Fallin” for some soundtrack back in the 90’s so technically it is a Stevie Nicks song too. And she’s done “I Need To Know” in her solo set for years.

Personally I was more surprised that they didn’t do Stop Draggin
Old 10-04-2018, 02:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yrkSdoWEQp0" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-04-2018, 02:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Watch The New Fleetwood Mac Play Split Enz, Crowded House, Tom Petty, & Live Rarities At Tour Opener
Earlier this year, Fleetwood Mac announced that they’d be hitting the road with a whole new lineup. Lindsey Buckingham, longtime co-leader, was out of the band, fired after a dispute over touring. And Fleetwood Mac instead lined up a very capable pair of replacements: Mike Campbell, former guitarist for Tom Petty’s Heartbreakers, and Neil Finn, frontman of the great New Zealand institutions Crowded House and Split Enz. This new Fleetwood Mac has already performed on Ellen and at the iHeartRadio Music Festival. But last night, this lineup played its first real headlining set in Tulsa. And they made an event of it.

In their set at Tulsa’s BOK Center, the band made room for a few songs from their newest members. Most notable among them is probably the cover of Tom Petty’s “Free Fallin’,” with Petty’s old friend and frequent duet partner singing lead. Campbell recently told Rolling Stone that he wasn’t really interested in playing “Free Fallin'” anymore but that Nicks had insisted: “Stevie wanted to do that one. love that song, but I’ve just played it so much. I said to her, ‘Do we have to?’ She said, ‘The crowd will love it. It’ll be a moment.’ So I’m getting into it again.” The song was the first encore of the night. It sounded incredible, of course.
The band also did a version of Crowded House’s 1986 classic “Don’t Dream It’s Over” as a duet between Finn and Nicks:
(video at link)
I can’t find video of it, but the band also covered Split Enz’ 1980 new wave hit “I Got You.”

Fleetwood Mac are also using this tour to bust out some songs they haven’t played in a long, long time. The biggest news is there that they have brought back “Black Magic Woman,” famously covered by Santana but written by former Fleetwood Mac leader Peter Green and first recorded in 1968. Here’s that one:
(video at link)
They also did “Isn’t It Midnight,” from 1987’s Tango In The Night, for the first time since 1990:
(video at link)
The band also played “Storms” and “Monday Morning,” both for the first time since 2009, and they ended the night with their first-ever live performance of 1995’s “All Over Again.”
https://www.stereogum.com/2017348/wa..._medium=button
Old 10-04-2018, 02:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotonRodeo View Post
That Rhiannon is probably the most enervated and lethargic performance I have ever seen. Her range has apparently shrunk to two notes, and Lindsey's guitar licks are sorely missed. The cats outside in the dark make better and more passionate music than she. But there is a very large contingent here who confuse shawl twirling, bleating, and exaggerated hand gesticulations with musicianship. Which is why Lindsey is out of Fleetwood Mac and the Goat Queen remains.
Sticks and stones! At this point, you will never admit to liking anything SN does again.

Last edited by StevieandChris; 10-04-2018 at 02:42 PM..
Old 10-04-2018, 02:40 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali101 View Post
A New Zealander, Finn also said this: “I would like to do a big shout-out to another fellow countryman who works just down the road, Mr. Steven Adams for the Oklahoma (City) Thunder. (He’s) the toughest guy in the league. I’m not even in the toughest person in Fleetwood Mac. I think that’s Stevie.”
Glad to see Neil hasn't lost his sense of humor. He's a smart, funny guy, Neil.

matt
Old 10-04-2018, 02:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kak125 View Post
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yrkSdoWEQp0" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Wow ... "Storms" is such a masterpiece of a song.
Old 10-04-2018, 03:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Heart Storms

Quote:
Originally Posted by kak125 View Post
Thanks for sharing. I'm so glad to see "Storms" back in the set, although I was hoping for "Angel' - beautiful version of one of Stevie's best. Thanks again.
Old 10-04-2018, 03:07 PM

Ok, I found something I love $tevie's voice on. Hypmotized! Neil sounds excellent and backing vocals fit so nicely. And that's on a short clip. Must have sounded pristine in concert.