The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-05-2005, 11:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Finland, the country where polar bears walk on the streets singing "Silver Girl"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizNicks
...it is just that downloading mp3s is the easiest way for all of us to get the files, even when they sound a little bit worse than the wave of flac files!
David darling, the reason why some people feel so strongly about mp3-sourced material is because they've received cd-rs through trades that were mp3-sourced and had still been burned as your typical audio discs. And it isn't all that difficult to prove whether something is mp3-sourced or not.

Bottom line is: don't cheat, and don't act all ignorant either, sooner or later everybody in the trading chain finds out. (Enough FM song title references there.)

^ - "a selfindulged, but funny butthead of a Fin" - Shackin'up
Old 01-05-2005, 09:29 PM
glitter_fades
This message has been deleted by glitter_fades.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
LOL! Yes, aboslutelly right! I hate mp3s and I would never download one, , because mp3s are evil! Oh, btw, is there anyone who wants o download the Sioux City mp3s here: http://www.fmp3.de/Various/SOTD.htm ? Hmmmm....maybe the wrong thread for mp3 adverts!
I don't understand the whole trouble about mp3 converting! I work like 60 hours a week and I don't have time to trade bootlegs and download too many bittorrents, so do a lot of other people! The first thing I do with bittorent files is converting them to mp3 to listen to them on my computer, because I also don't have the money to burn it all on CD! But I wouldn't trade mp3s, it is just that downloading mp3s is the easiest way for all of us to get the files, even when they sound a little bit worse than the wave of flac files!
60 hours! I see what you mean, but you had plenty of time to download this torrent, convert it to mp3 (when requested not to do so), then upload tracks to your own webiste. You don't trade mp3s, but what do you think posting them for download on a website leads to?

Hey, nobody cares if you convert what you listen to on your own computer, but you went a step further. You put mp3's out on the Internet for download then compunded the issue by posting here on a widely read website your willingness to ignore torrent traders' requests. I'm sure we'll be getting a lot more shows like this from the torrent community as a result of your generosity.

Does everyone agree this is the way to go?

Last edited by glitter_fades; 01-05-2005 at 10:13 PM..
Old 01-05-2005, 09:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation I always follow...

the instructions of the shows I received from outside the usual FM circles to not alter 'em...I think if that is what it takes to get a show then it should be followed, cause otherwise you changed the rules the taper gave on how the show should be traded.

Brian j.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 01-06-2005, 07:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitter_fades
60 hours! I see what you mean, but you had plenty of time to download this torrent, convert it to mp3 (when requested not to do so), then upload tracks to your own webiste. You don't trade mp3s, but what do you think posting them for download on a website leads to?

Hey, nobody cares if you convert what you listen to on your own computer, but you went a step further. You put mp3's out on the Internet for download then compunded the issue by posting here on a widely read website your willingness to ignore torrent traders' requests. I'm sure we'll be getting a lot more shows like this from the torrent community as a result of your generosity.

I would have to agree with this, it's very disappointing that these tracks were ripped and posted to MP3s as soon as they were available, I am sure that with all the SYW 2003/2004 Bootlegs that are available in the trading community, either as MP3s or regular CDR trades that maybe this one could have stayed lossless.

I only hope that the original trader / taper of this show (who may have other shows) does not take the opinion of not releasing the other material that they may have.

http://stillgoinginsane.fleetwoodmac-uk.com
Still Going Insane - A Lindsey Buckingham Resource
Old 01-06-2005, 08:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitter_fades

Downloading took 6 hours, uploading took 10 minutes!
It sounds like it is something bad and criminal to convert it to mp3 and post it! It is not! it is what everyone mp3 site (and there are a lot of it) does! The file on the easytree site has been snatched 90 times and the three tracks on mp3 were downloaded 112 times from my site! it is bad that mp3 is seen as and not as an alternate to tradÃ*ng, but it is!
Old 01-06-2005, 10:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Downloading took 6 hours, uploading took 10 minutes!
It sounds like it is something bad and criminal to convert it to mp3 and post it! It is not! it is what everyone mp3 site (and there are a lot of it) does! The file on the easytree site has been snatched 90 times and the three tracks on mp3 were downloaded 112 times from my site! it is bad that mp3 is seen as and not as an alternate to tradÃ*ng, but it is!
So it won't bother you if the source decides not to share anything else?
Old 01-06-2005, 11:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy-Rhiannon
So it won't bother you if the source decides not to share anything else?
Why does the source shares it online at all? I will end this discussion and convert the stuff to widnows media audio if that makes him happier! He mustn't share this show, because in the end it will be posted at any other site and you know that it is true! Remember the disussion about the My Heart song where the girl who had the bootleg with the track didn't want to post it? Everybody said it was wrong, but it was her wish and in the end she shared it with us! Now I want to share something and that may be wrong? Why does he has problems with converted files? Because of the lousy music quality? Hell no, he doesn't need to download it! When he wants to share a Fleetwood Mac show, he has to understand that there is no way getting around the fact, that it will be posted as converted files one day and everyone of you know that there are a lot of people (compared to fans of other bands), who likes to download mp3s and the lousy quality of mp3s is enough for them! Whats so wrong about posting mp3s? I don't care!
Old 01-06-2005, 01:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Why does the source shares it online at all? I will end this discussion and convert the stuff to widnows media audio if that makes him happier! He mustn't share this show, because in the end it will be posted at any other site and you know that it is true! Remember the disussion about the My Heart song where the girl who had the bootleg with the track didn't want to post it? Everybody said it was wrong, but it was her wish and in the end she shared it with us! Now I want to share something and that may be wrong? Why does he has problems with converted files? Because of the lousy music quality? Hell no, he doesn't need to download it! When he wants to share a Fleetwood Mac show, he has to understand that there is no way getting around the fact, that it will be posted as converted files one day and everyone of you know that there are a lot of people (compared to fans of other bands), who likes to download mp3s and the lousy quality of mp3s is enough for them! Whats so wrong about posting mp3s? I don't care!
The My Heart song was completely different, this was a never before heard of song, the SYW set at Siuox City was the same goddamn set that FM played nearly every night of 2003 / 2004.

I have no issues with the lossless v lossy debate (each to their own), the issue I have is that we (the collective Fleetwood Mac fan community) have jeopardised getting any other rare shows that these collectors are sitting on because we (again the collective Fleetwood Mac fan community) could not resist the temptation of earning a few brownie points for posting and downloading a new show on an MP3 site.

http://stillgoinginsane.fleetwoodmac-uk.com
Still Going Insane - A Lindsey Buckingham Resource
Old 01-06-2005, 01:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Finland, the country where polar bears walk on the streets singing "Silver Girl"

Quote:
When he wants to share a Fleetwood Mac show, he has to understand that there is no way getting around the fact, that it will be posted as converted files one day and everyone of you know that there are a lot of people (compared to fans of other bands), who likes to download mp3s and the lousy quality of mp3s is enough for them! Whats so wrong about posting mp3s? I don't care!
I don't think the main problem here is compressing mp3 material for your own purposes, the problem is that some of the mp3 downloaders will inevitably pass the material on as fake .wav-files.
And yes, I do think that the wishes of the taper (or whoever decides to spread the goods in the first place) should be respected.

And keep in mind, if this discussion was going on in a trading community of a band other than Fleetwood Mac, someone would want to hang you from your precious balls already.

^ - "a selfindulged, but funny butthead of a Fin" - Shackin'up
Old 01-06-2005, 02:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodmod
I have no issues with the lossless v lossy debate (each to their own), the issue I have is that we (the collective Fleetwood Mac fan community) have jeopardised getting any other rare shows that these collectors are sitting on because we (again the collective Fleetwood Mac fan community) could not resist the temptation of earning a few brownie points for posting and downloading a new show on an MP3 site.
It has nothing to do with earning brownies! Til this day there has been three things that I have posted: Rumours Center Channel Mixes, Tango Sessions II (which was offered me to post it) and this show! I wanted to offer it to other site (like I did with other bootlegs), but then I thought I might post it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodmod
The My Heart song was completely different, this was a never before heard of song, the SYW set at Siuox City was the same goddamn set that FM played nearly every night of 2003 / 2004.
And why is there such a heavy discussion about "the same goddamn set that FM played nearly every night of 2003 / 2004"? Why? The only one who has copy right on this recordings is Fleetwood Mac! I am treated like I am selling this bootleg on ebay for much money, but fact is I am posting "the same goddamn set that FM played nearly every night of 2003 / 2004" on my iste and everyone seem to have a problem with it! You all guys have the show now! People are still uploading the show from my computer! No one of you needs to download the show from my site and no one will offer the hsow to you on CDR mp3 sourced, because you already have the show!
Old 01-06-2005, 02:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation Actually...

Quote:
The only one who has copy right on this recordings is Fleetwood Mac!
if Fleetwood Mac wanted to they could kill all of this by filing copyright infringement on any of the ROIO recordings made in their name (As could any artist) that we all have and in turn sue us all, But that would not be a cool thing to do since it can have the reverse effect and damage an artist in their fans eyes (Ask Metallica, They know this all to well...They'll never recover and have even publicly admitted as such, Wishing now they would have never fought Napster/fans)

I'm not complaining at ya, Just clairifying that Mick & co. could end this if it suited 'em.

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 01-06-2005, 02:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by estranged4life
if Fleetwood Mac wanted to they could kill all of this by filing copyright infringement on any of the ROIO recordings made in their name (As could any artist) that we all have and in turn sue us all, But that would not be a cool thing to do since it can have the reverse effect and damage an artist in their fans eyes (Ask Metallica, They know this all to well...They'll never recover and have even publicly admitted as such, Wishing now they would have never fought Napster/fans)

I'm not complaining at ya, Just clairifying that Mick & co. could end this if it suited 'em.
Yes, but what does that have to do with me?
I am not the one who makes it all so big! I don*t join othe message boards and tell them how ****ed up they actually are (not in that words, but different!) Making this thing so big is he mistake! If so, isn't mp3 downloading as illegal as bootleg trading, because it is the same thing (with quality differences)! If I didn't post it in here, would anyone care about it? Probably not! In the meantime, 182 people have downloaded the tracks I had on my site and I am sure they're also a few people who read this thread! How about bittorrent? I don't know and I am too lazy to watch! Isn't it all about sharing music? In what ways doesn't count!
Old 01-06-2005, 02:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

O man if they were to sue people for $2,000 dollars for every boot we owned... well I know I would be ****ed.... Almost half a million dollars!
Oh well.
$2,000 is light for a copyright infragment.. some can be up to $75,000 for each one! ****! lets see... $75,000 x 150 = hell I dont even want to know.
Brian you mentioned something about Metalica seuing people, one reason I would never collect their boots (plue i dont like them) Y risk it when they have publicly done it.
No Way.
All in all I am not to worried about getting sued by Fleetwood Mac, Van Halen, The Rolling Stones, Boston, Bruce Springsteen, Aerosmith, u2, ect ect. Hell they should really take bootlegs as a compliment. I mena its not like they are losing money on it. Think of it this way......
Fleetwood Mac 6/13/80 - Rotterdam, Holland - Ahoy. The quality on that is a C-/C now if they were to publicly sell that. How many people would buy it? 100 AT MOST! I wouldnt buy it. But they need to realize that they have fans out there that like these tours so much that they will sit through and listen to these recordings. They arn't losing money off of it. The only person it benifets is the fans.
I tell them to come after me and try to sue me, Some of these artists cant afford to lose anymore fans. So No I am not worred about beng sued
thats my .2 cents and a piece of pie.
Old 01-06-2005, 02:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation I'm not blaming you...

Quote:
Yes, but what does that have to do with me?
I am not the one who makes it all so big! I don*t join othe message boards and tell them how ****ed up they actually are (not in that words, but different!) Making this thing so big is he mistake! If so, isn't mp3 downloading as illegal as bootleg trading, because it is the same thing (with quality differences)! If I didn't post it in here, would anyone care about it? Probably not! In the meantime, 182 people have downloaded the tracks I had on my site and I am sure they're also a few people who read this thread! How about bittorrent? I don't know and I am too lazy to watch! Isn't it all about sharing music? In what ways doesn't count!
or even saying it has to do with you, Just stating that copyrights are bigger than ALL of us combined...I'm just saying that if it came down to "brass tacks" FM can slam anyone online with their material if they claim a copyright infringment claim on an individual, Be it trade-sites, MP3 sites & bit torrents...Which then would affect everyone who tries to share the music, Be it you, me or others who have posted today.

Old 01-06-2005, 02:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Talking Kinda funny when

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Rumours77
All in all I am not to worried about getting sued by Fleetwood Mac, Van Halen, The Rolling Stones, Boston, Bruce Springsteen, Aerosmith, u2, ect ect. Hell they should really take bootlegs as a compliment. I mena its not like they are losing money on it. Think of it this way......
Bono of U2 has to purchase a bootleg ("Salome-The Achtung Baby Session Tapes") to just see what material was on the disc but he even forgot himself...Because he couldnt find someone who would give a free copy cause they thought he would sue 'em ("We dont care if fans make copies of ours shows and pass 'em about...But when you do it for money...We will find where you parked your car and bash out the windows"-Bono on live bootlegs)

Last edited by estranged4life; 01-06-2005 at 02:53 PM..