Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-03-2003, 09:36 AM
Senior Ledgie

Default Seven Wonders

Anyone know what Stevie's contribution (lyrical) to this song was?
Old 05-03-2003, 10:58 AM
Ledgie

And does anyone know if Lindsey is present vocally on this track? I can't hear him but I do hear Christine.
Old 05-03-2003, 11:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

The extent of Stevie's lyrical contribution was two-fold... She morphed "end of the line" to "Emilline", and sings some nysterious phrase in the break between chorus and verse. Is it 'never'? Is it 'Sara'? Is it 'Tara'? Is it 'Pharoah'? Ask me and I'll tell you it changes each time she sings it in the song!

MacFan03 - Lindsey b/g vocals are heavily present hear - that classic Lindsey/Christine mix that works so well. You may not recognize his voice becuase it is hihg and similar to Christine's. But listen closely and you should hear it in the mix.
Old 05-03-2003, 12:26 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by DownOnRodeo
The extent of Stevie's lyrical contribution was two-fold... She morphed "end of the line" to "Emilline", and sings some nysterious phrase in the break between chorus and verse. Is it 'never'? Is it 'Sara'? Is it 'Tara'? Is it 'Pharoah'? Ask me and I'll tell you it changes each time she sings it in the song!

Thanks.

Now can you tell me who the hell Sandy Stewart is?
Old 05-03-2003, 01:35 PM
Ledgie

Surely Stevie didn't take a songwriting credit for changing one word?
Old 05-03-2003, 01:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Wayne2
Thanks.

Now can you tell me who the hell Sandy Stewart is?
SS is a Texan who also co-wrote If Anyone Falls, Maybe Love will Change you Mind, and Too Far from TX. If I remember, Stevie announced she was in the audience at the Houston TISL show, but I think she lives in Dallas. Stevie is on her Catdancer album, which I've never heard. (I've read the lyrics to Sandy's solo stuff & they don't impress me.)

- Jake
Old 05-03-2003, 03:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by squealy
Surely Stevie didn't take a songwriting credit for changing one word?
I believe Stevie's "alternate lyrics" were peppered throughout the song, beyond the "end of the line/ Emmiline" bit.

Apparently when Sandy gave Stevie the demo, she hadn't given her a lyric-sheet, so Stevie sang the lyrics as best she could, putting her own spin on the parts that weren't very clear in the demo.

I'm assuming it must have been a fairly profound difference, to warrant that "additional lyrics by Stevie Nicks" credit... especially when you consider how different Stevie's version of "I Still Miss Someone (Blue Eyes)" is from the original Johnny Cash version.
Stevie knew the song as she was growing up, and sang it the way she remembered it... but at certain moments in the song, her remembered lyrics are quite different from the original lyrics.

Despite that, Johnny Cash, and his brother, Roy, remain the only songwriters credited for "I Still Miss Someone," in the 'Mirror' liner notes.
Old 05-04-2003, 11:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I remember reading on SaraRhiannon that she quickly copied down the lyrics onto paper and then sang them. She said she only changed the "Emmeline" part. Originally it was "Held the line" but Stevie...sang "Emmeline." I want to know what "Emmeline" is.
Old 05-04-2003, 01:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This is the only song I like of hers on TITN; and I don't even play it that much. It can sound dated and I don't like her voice.

They should give it a shot during the tour, I think it would sound great.
Old 05-04-2003, 02:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

This is a quote I have in my folders, about "Seven Wonders."
There's a longer version of this quote out there, but this is the integral part:
Quote:
We thought we had written down exactly as I sing them, the exact words to "Seven Wonders."
I sang the words that I had written down, and Sandy didn't unfortunately get me the real words before that.
Then, I saw the real words and I tried to sing the real words, which are in fact very different... I couldn't do a vocal again like that very first time I walked up to the microphone and sang "Seven Wonders."
Old 05-04-2003, 02:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by dissention
I want to know what "Emmeline" is.
When I first heard "Seven Wonders" (when I was about 15), I scoured a World Atlas, trying to find Emmeline.
Never did find it!

To me, the lyrics of the song always conjured the image of some wonderful, lush city in Ancient Rome.
Someplace one could imagine the gods having played.

So, for me, that's what "Emmeline" will always be.
Old 05-04-2003, 03:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Stew
When I first heard "Seven Wonders" (when I was about 15), I scoured a World Atlas, trying to find Emmeline.
Never did find it!
At least now I know I'm not the only one...
Old 05-04-2003, 03:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I think Emmeline in Stevie's mind goes back to the whole Gone With The Wind thing. She does sing about Tara in Welcome To The Room Sara. It just sounds like something out of that era. Also, how ironic for her to use the name Sara Anderson to check herself into drug rehab.
Old 05-04-2003, 04:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Emmeline was the name of a town in a book I read years ago-the book was very romantic/dreamy/Stevie Nicks-ish and I have always assumed this is where Stevie got the name. I beleive the book was by Taylor Caldwell, an author(ess) who claimed to channel spirits from the past to write historically accurate fictional novels (this also made me think that would be something that Stevie would have been interested in). The books by her I read were Captains & the Kings, Ceremony of the Innocent, and another title I can't remember. I don't recall which one mentioned "Emmeline" but I have never seen that name before or since.
Ricoh
Old 05-04-2003, 04:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by ricohv
Emmeline was the name of a town in a book I read years ago-the book was very romantic/dreamy/Stevie Nicks-ish and I have always assumed this is where Stevie got the name. I beleive the book was by Taylor Caldwell, an author(ess) who claimed to channel spirits from the past to write historically accurate fictional novels (this also made me think that would be something that Stevie would have been interested in). The books by her I read were Captains & the Kings, Ceremony of the Innocent, and another title I can't remember. I don't recall which one mentioned "Emmeline" but I have never seen that name before or since.
Ricoh
According to those awful books by Steven W____, Stevie read Triad by Caldwell & got the name Rhiannon, so apparently she is a fan.

- Jake