User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-06-2015, 02:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdm6789 View Post
Where is it at in Barnes and Noble? I cannot find it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
In the back of the store.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gssmith View Post
It is on the left side
Just to recap:

It's back and to the left.

Back and to the left.

Back and to the left.

Back and to the left.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 05-06-2015, 08:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekerj View Post
Hmmm, Christine doesn't agree. From Contemporary Keyboard, 10/1980:

"She isn't a great player, but what she plays you can elaborate on. Still, I think she should play onstage. She's getting better all the time, and if she would play piano on one song, it'd be ****in' great! Then she'd be known as a musician as well as just a singer."

http://bla.fleetwoodmac.net/index.ph...x_v2&id=11&c=2

And, she sounded just fine playing the acoustic guitar rhythm parts on Go Your Own Way on that Rumours rehearsal tape where eventually Lindsey gives the guitar to Ray. I still wonder why he did that, if maybe his motive wasn't entirely musical.

The Leather And Lace demo with her plucking the guitar was fine, too. Her rhythm guitar on her version of Free Fallin' wasn't terrible, either.

I mean, yeah, she doesn't have the abilities that others with more experience have, but an amateur at best??

She herself has said that she isn't a musician. She uses the instruments for what she needs them for in order to write songs. So if she isn't putting herself in that category, what are you arguing with???? Why are you throwing her into that category and then saying she doesn't belong there??!!!!
Honestly, the term for Stevie's abilities on guitar and keyboards IS amateur. It's not a slight or dismissal of her abilities as a musician (she is a unique songwriter and equally distinctive singer who can also harmonize like no other). While it is true that she can manage to work her way around a keyboard or guitar to get the right chords for structuring songs, she can't really play either of these instruments beyond base-level proficiency, which is the definition of an amateur.

Moreover, she has a VERY difficult time singing and playing piano at the same time. Whenever she steps towards a piano to accompany herself I want to yell out, Noooooo, don't do it! Her performances of Rhiannon at the piano are embarrassing because she can't get the coordination right to both sing and play at the same time.

All this aside, she has gone far, very far, with what she does know. Her amateur instrumental skills have actually helped her find inventive ways to maneuver for chords, and thus have contributed to her unusual harmonic and melodic styles.

But Christine's 1979 interview is an example of Christine either being magnanimous and/or passive aggressive in a back-handed complement kind of way. The assessment of Stevie's abilities there seems indulgent, a tad condescending, which is how the entire band has made her feel at one time or another. I can't say I really blame them: Stevie has had plenty of time and opportunity to learn an instrument more fluently.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekerj View Post
Hmmm, Christine doesn't agree. From Contemporary Keyboard, 10/1980:

"She isn't a great player, but what she plays you can elaborate on. Still, I think she should play onstage. She's getting better all the time, and if she would play piano on one song, it'd be ****in' great! Then she'd be known as a musician as well as just a singer."

http://bla.fleetwoodmac.net/index.ph...x_v2&id=11&c=2

And, she sounded just fine playing the acoustic guitar rhythm parts on Go Your Own Way on that Rumours rehearsal tape where eventually Lindsey gives the guitar to Ray. I still wonder why he did that, if maybe his motive wasn't entirely musical.

The Leather And Lace demo with her plucking the guitar was fine, too. Her rhythm guitar on her version of Free Fallin' wasn't terrible, either.

I mean, yeah, she doesn't have the abilities that others with more experience have, but an amateur at best??

She herself has said that she isn't a musician. She uses the instruments for what she needs them for in order to write songs. So if she isn't putting herself in that category, what are you arguing with???? Why are you throwing her into that category and then saying she doesn't belong there??!!!!
Any links to her playing guitar? I've only seen pictures of her with one, never heard her play it.
Old 05-07-2015, 02:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Just to recap:

It's back and to the left.

Back and to the left.

Back and to the left.

Back and to the left.
*Applause from Kevin Costner*
Old 05-10-2015, 04:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Honestly, the term for Stevie's abilities on guitar and keyboards IS amateur. It's not a slight or dismissal of her abilities as a musician (she is a unique songwriter and equally distinctive singer who can also harmonize like no other). While it is true that she can manage to work her way around a keyboard or guitar to get the right chords for structuring songs, she can't really play either of these instruments beyond base-level proficiency, which is the definition of an amateur.
I believe if Stevie had the ambition, she could have been a professional musician. But her main focus was to be a singer/songwriter/visual performer. I find her solo outings singing and playing piano to be interesting, but a bit disconcerting. She has found the confidence to do it, but she just doesn't have the chops.
Old 05-13-2015, 01:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Just got it today. Haven't had time to actually read it but I skimmed through and was disturbed that the section about Chris was titled Enter Christine, Perfectly.
Old 05-13-2015, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
I believe if Stevie had the ambition, she could have been a professional musician. But her main focus was to be a singer/songwriter/visual performer. I find her solo outings singing and playing piano to be interesting, but a bit disconcerting. She has found the confidence to do it, but she just doesn't have the chops.
It takes a lot of practice and patience. I don't think she could go beyond a beginner level. I've heard her piano enough to want her to write the way she knows how. She is much better suited writing the way she started her career.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenstein View Post
Just got it today. Haven't had time to actually read it but I skimmed through and was disturbed that the section about Chris was titled Enter Christine, Perfectly.
I just got mine today, at a Wallgreen store. Lots of great photos - some that are familiar, and others I've never seen before. The article was a fair assessment, if not a comprehensive compendium of the band's history.

"Consider 1988 to 2013 to be the vacant years for the band. Billy Burnette and Rick Vito, surely capable musicians, joined, and the forgettable Behind the Mask was released in 1990. The equally forgettable Time was released in 1995 with (sorry forgettable) new members Bekka Bramlett on vocals and Dave Mason on guitar."

Though I appreciate and enjoy both of those albums for what they are, I can't strongly dispute those facts. Although many solo albums and several compilations filled those vacant years, it's rather disappointing to be reminded of their scant album output.

Their Dance tour, as well as their two recent live tours have given them paychecks, and have given their fans some great live performances. Yet, they have been resting on those laurels for a very long time. But those shows are a brief moment in time. Those memories fade in time, while their albums become lasting objects of their artistic legacy. I hope the last opportunity they have to give life-long loyal fans one more album of new music isn't lost.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 05-13-2015 at 08:50 PM..
Old 05-13-2015, 08:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
"Consider 1988 to 2013 to be the vacant years for the band. Billy Burnette and Rick Vito, surely capable musicians, joined, and the forgettable Behind the Mask was released in 1990. The equally forgettable Time was released in 1995 with (sorry forgettable) new members Bekka Bramlett on vocals and Dave Mason on guitar."

Though I appreciate and enjoy both of those albums for what they are, I can't strongly dispute those facts. Although many solo albums and several compilations filled those vacant years, it's rather disappointing to be reminded of their scant album output.

Their Dance tour, as well as their two recent live tours have given them paychecks, and have given their fans some great live performances. Yet, they have been resting on those laurels for a very long time.

But those shows are of the moment and fade into memories, while their albums become lasting objects of their artistic legacy. I hope the last opportunity they have to give life-long loyal fans one more album of new music isn't lost.
Say You Will was released in 2003. it's their second most progressive album, right after Tusk. i wouldn't consider that part of "vacant years" by any stretch.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-13-2015, 09:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I just got mine today, at a Wallgreen store. Lots of great photos - some that are familiar, and others I've never seen before. The article was a fair assessment, if not a comprehensive compendium of the band's history.

Their Dance tour, as well as their two recent live tours have given them paychecks, and have given their fans some great live performances. Yet, they have been resting on those laurels for a very long time. But those shows are a brief moment in time. Those memories fade in time, while their albums become lasting objects of their artistic legacy. I hope the last opportunity they have to give life-long loyal fans one more album of new music isn't lost.
I don't think Tusk was artistically disappointing, and the outright dismissal of Mirage and Tango is neither a fair nor accurate assessment. I also agree with Elle--Say You Will, despite the absence of Christine, was still a substantial record--hardly "underwhelming" as said in the article.

I do agree, however, that too many years separate the very few records we do have, and thus the growth and viability of the band as the makers of new music has been seriously undermined by their own lack of sustained effort.

Last edited by aleuzzi; 05-13-2015 at 09:14 PM..
Old 05-13-2015, 09:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
Say You Will was released in 2003. it's their second most progressive album, right after Tusk. i wouldn't consider that part of "vacant years" by any stretch.
Say You Will is certainly the anomaly -- the band's only Buckingham Nicks-like album, released in the "vacant years." Like Tusk, it might get more recognition and appreciation in later years. However it is an easily overlooked album, especially now that Christine is back in the band.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 05-13-2015 at 09:46 PM..
Old 05-13-2015, 09:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
It takes a lot of practice and patience. I don't think she could go beyond a beginner level. I've heard her piano enough to want her to write the way she knows how. She is much better suited writing the way she started her career.
It was implied it would take a lot of dedication to become a professional player and that Stevie never had that ambition. Her skill level is enough for her to form the rudimentary basis of her songs.
Old 05-14-2015, 12:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
So that's why all her songs are in "F" or "Am"?

Oh wait, there are other issues...

#range
Old 05-14-2015, 01:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Well, fans aren't the only ones who thought it wasn't exactly fantastic...

"There’s nothing going on between you and me except that there will always be something going on between you and me. Until the day we die"
Old 05-14-2015, 07:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole21290 View Post
Well, fans aren't the only ones who thought it wasn't exactly fantastic...

Oddly enough, Christine called it "wonderful" on her IG account. Maybe whoever is behind her account didn't take the time to read it.

Crystallineknowledge
Dedicated to Stevie.