The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-29-2015, 07:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default What if Lindsey stuck around for the Tango tour...

I actually kind of resent the fact that Lindsey quit between the album release and the tour for Tango In The Night. He should have completed his tenure with the band and not left prematurely. He should have waited until after the tour to quit. Anyway, which songs of Lindsey's from Tango do you think they would have played? Perhaps a full band version of Big Love all 80sed up. Family Man? My favorite of his from Tango. They could work harmonies into his songs as well. I would also like to think that if he didn't quit then they would not have added all the back up musicians on the tour. The videos on YouTube would be so much better if it was just the five of them and none of the editing in the reshot close ups of everyone. Pretty much like the Mirage Tour videos but in 1987.
Old 06-29-2015, 08:14 PM
joe

I was quite bummed and shocked when that happened. I was already a fan for several years at that point (BIG fan) and was getting stoked for the tour. I even recall hearing at some point before he left that places were getting booked and the djs and mtv were talking about the coming tour that summer.

And then the news broke.

I believe that with Lindsey still in the band and going on tour that they were already talking about adding a few extra musicians. This has been recalled by members of the band in recent years. So, it wasn't necessarily because of Lindsey leaving that they added all the musicians.

Question is, would Stevie's backup singers have been there? Who knows...
Old 06-29-2015, 08:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Mick said Billy Burnette was going to be on the tour even if Lindsey had stayed.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 06-29-2015, 09:06 PM
Senior Ledgie

Which songs of Lindsey's? Most definitely "Big Love," but it would've been full band. They would have done the title track as well I'm sure, slight chance of "Family Man," but I'm not sure how that would have come across on stage, same goes for "Caroline" and "You and I Pt. II."
Old 06-29-2015, 09:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

If Lindsey would have stayed for the tour I think these would have been the Songs performed.

Big Love
Seven Wonders
Everywhere
Little Lies
Tango in the Night instead of Isnt it Midnight unless they did 6 "new songs"
Old 06-30-2015, 12:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

For the first FM tour to see .The tour would of been Blanking awesome If Lindsey was onboard.I did enjoy Billy's and Rick's input but It would been awesome if Lindsey was there.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 06-30-2015, 02:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It was really bad timing for Lindsey to quit the band right before the tour. It was quite shock for the band as well as the fans. But I don't resent his choice. It's history now, and not atypical of the band's past history and upheavals.

I guess Lindsey should be acknowledged for his authenticity. He carried most of the weight in making the Tango album. He knew the challenging circus atmosphere of that would just get more magnified on the road. So he made the choice to opt out for the sake of his sanity.

If Lindsey did go on Tango tour, I believe, as others have noted, they would have performed a full band version of "Big Love". (After so many years of performing it as a acoustic solo, you'd think he might give song a fresh take?). The title track would be a fitting replacement for "I'm So Afraid."

Aside from "Little Lies" and "Everywhere", Christine could have performed "Isn't it Midnight." Unfortunately Stevie has little to offer from the album other than "Seven Wonders." That's why her solo hit "Stand Back" made it's intrusion into the set list. (I'm so glad they vetoed that song from the current tour set list).

Last edited by PenguinHead; 06-30-2015 at 02:12 AM..
Old 06-30-2015, 06:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I have a different take on Lindsey's 1987 departure. Like everyone who was anticipating the tour, I was devastated. But looking back I think it saved the band. If Lindsey toured in the state he was in and his tensions with Mick and Stevie, he would have quit the band AFTER the tour. That would have made it harder to start a studio album with new members. Having new members after a world tour made it much easier for the Mac to continue. I think if Lindsey stuck around till late 1988 then the Mac would not have done a 1990 album. I think we would have gotten more solo stuff from Stevie and Christine. I am thankful for a 1990 tour. I am not a huge fan of Billy and Rick but the 1990 tour was amazing. Chris sort of was the leader with Stevie and Mick both battling substance abuse.
It was really tough love for the band to leave when he did. But long term (the next 3 years) it made things easier for the Mac to continue. They were not held hostage to Lindsey anymore.

Isn't It Midnight was performed on both the 1987 and 1990 tour. Total irony because even though the song translates well live.....Lindsey would blow it out of the arena.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 06-30-2015 at 06:42 AM..
Old 07-01-2015, 09:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Isn't It Midnight was performed on both the 1987 and 1990 tour. Total irony because even though the song translates well live.....Lindsey would blow it out of the arena.
I freaking love "Isn't It Midnight" live. Chris totally rocks it and I think she needs a big rock moment. I also really love Stevie's vocals during the guitar solo.
Old 07-03-2015, 09:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I bet the Tango tour would've been epic had Lindsey not left. I can just imagine how amazing Tango in the Night would've sounded. I wish Lindsey would give the acoustic version of Big Love a break and perform the full band version instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post

+ 1