The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-17-2014, 08:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Does the full 2.5 hour Mirage your video exist somewhere?

It would be really awesome to see all the performances that got cut from the final video.

Dreams
Secondhand News
Brown Eyes
Hold Me
Landslide
Sara
Never Going Back Again
Don't Stop
Oh Well

Does anyone know if those videos exist somewhere?
Old 10-17-2014, 08:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Great question!
Old 10-17-2014, 09:35 PM

That would be amazing.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't think the band has ever released an exceptional live concert film. That's a pretty big disappointment...Thank God for YouTube!
Old 10-17-2014, 09:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

There was a Tusk DVD and live CD - I thought that Fleetwood Mac Live 1980 was exceptional, as were the Rumours live performances which were released with the recent reissue of that album and are available on film too, I think.

The Dance isn't exceptional? Live in Boston 2003 isn't exceptional? What about that killer performance of Stand Back with the epic drum intro? Or the great performances of Come and Silver Springs?

Check out the performance of Angel on YouTube

Old 10-17-2014, 10:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love that Angel performance. I wish the Tusk documentary was more accessible. It's not available on DVD. If the band would care more about just Rumours and get products like this documentary remastered and out there, their legacy would only be strengthened.

In the larger spectrum of concert films, they aren't exceptional. Don't come close to classics of the genre like Gimme Shelter (Rolling Stones), Martin Scorsese's The Last Waltz, and Jonathan Demme's docs/films on the Talking Heads and Neil Young (see Stop Making Sense). Difference is these were filmed with style by big name directors and are very special films and time capsules.

I love the Live album. It's too bad nobody really knows about it. The recordings are fantastic. Richard talked about it a little bit on his blog. This was the band at their peak, not The Dance. The Dance is great for what it is and even greater for bringing more exposure and new fans/new generations to Fleetwood Mac.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethelblues View Post
I love that Angel performance. I wish the Tusk documentary was more accessible. It's not available on DVD. If the band would care more about just Rumours and get products like this documentary remastered and out there, their legacy would only be strengthened.

In the larger spectrum of concert films, they aren't exceptional. Don't come close to classics of the genre like Gimme Shelter (Rolling Stones), Martin Scorsese's The Last Waltz, and Jonathan Demme's docs/films on the Talking Heads and Neil Young (see Stop Making Sense). Difference is these were filmed with style by big name directors and are very special films and time capsules.

I love the Live album. It's too bad nobody really knows about it. The recordings are fantastic. Richard talked about it a little bit on his blog. This was the band at their peak, not The Dance. The Dance is great for what it is and even greater for bringing more exposure and new fans/new generations to Fleetwood Mac.
I don't disagree with you. I think it's hard to deny that the band sounded and looked much better in the seventies and eighties than they do now. Well I guess Mick and John look different but their playing probably sounds exactly the same as it did thirty or forty years ago.

There are parts of The Dance that I think are exceptional, like Silver Springs, Bleed to Love Her, Say You Love Me, Tusk and Don't Stop with the USC Marching Band. Temporary One is a really fun song and the band's 1997 performances of Rhiannon were probably the last ones to have some real spirit and energy. Live in Boston 2003 showed the start of Stevie's decline in vocal quality but Stand Back and Silver Springs were great... I really enjoyed Second Hand News and Don't Stop from that DVD too.

There is certainly a lot more the band could do to strengthen their legacy, like you said, remastering and re-releasing filmed performances from the seventies and eighties on Blu-Ray disc and DVD. These remastered releases could coincide with the release of a new album and an On With the Show Tour DVD.

I read recently that Stevie had agreed with an interviewer that she sings better now than she did in the seventies and that she could teach voice. Well, she definitely could teach voice but she definitely does not sound better than she did in the seventies. I was, still, amazed by the quality of her vocal on 24 Karat Gold - Songs from the Vault: Blue Water, Cathouse Blues, 24 Karat Gold, All the Beautiful Worlds and Belle Fleur especially offer great vocal performances by her. Still, if you're looking for a knockout Stevie Nicks country song, That's Alright blows Cathouse Blues out of the water.

Last edited by secret love; 10-17-2014 at 10:57 PM..
Old 10-17-2014, 11:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I just realized my freaking auto correct changed tour to your. It's supposed to say tour. Lol
Old 10-17-2014, 11:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secret love View Post
I don't disagree with you. I think it's hard to deny that the band sounded and looked much better in the seventies and eighties than they do now. Well I guess Mick and John look different but their playing probably sounds exactly the same as it did thirty or forty years ago.

There are parts of The Dance that I think are exceptional, like Silver Springs, Bleed to Love Her, Say You Love Me, Tusk and Don't Stop with the USC Marching Band. Temporary One is a really fun song and the band's 1997 performances of Rhiannon were probably the last ones to have some real spirit and energy. Live in Boston 2003 showed the start of Stevie's decline in vocal quality but Stand Back and Silver Springs were great... I really enjoyed Second Hand News and Don't Stop from that DVD too.

There is certainly a lot more the band could do to strengthen their legacy, like you said, remastering and re-releasing filmed performances from the seventies and eighties on Blu-Ray disc and DVD. These remastered releases could coincide with the release of a new album and an On With the Show Tour DVD.

I read recently that Stevie had agreed with an interviewer that she sings better now than she did in the seventies and that she could teach voice. Well, she definitely could teach voice but she definitely does not sound better than she did in the seventies. I was, still, amazed by the quality of her vocal on 24 Karat Gold - Songs from the Vault: Blue Water, Cathouse Blues, 24 Karat Gold, All the Beautiful Worlds and Belle Fleur especially offer great vocal performances by her. Still, if you're looking for a knockout Stevie Nicks country song, That's Alright blows Cathouse Blues out of the water.
Definitely with regard to band rapport (The Dance)...don't forget Landslide, which was another big moment and was Stevie's definitive performance of the song. It's just not exceptional in the way it was filmed or staged, that's what I meant. I'm particularly fond of Tusk from Live in Boston played uptempo, and Beautiful Child (finally they played it!!)...both were wonderful live performances. The audience was really into that show--the band got a great reception.

Stevie's voice on the Tusk tour was just perfect. Recordings of Sara then were sublime and ethereal (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IVCtdQke-w). I just downloaded Dreams from the Rumours Tour and it sounds great. So maybe Stevie's a better technical singer now and still has her tone, but her range and the quality of her upper notes put her up there with the great all-time female rock voices. I really wish that I was alive then and could have seen her perform at her peak these essential songs. I think Storms would also count as a knock-out country song, right?

Last edited by bethelblues; 10-17-2014 at 11:51 PM..
Old 10-18-2014, 12:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdm6789 View Post
It would be really awesome to see all the performances that got cut from the final video.

Dreams
Secondhand News
Brown Eyes
Hold Me
Landslide
Sara
Never Going Back Again
Don't Stop
Oh Well

Does anyone know if those videos exist somewhere?
I assume the entire show was recorded. I'd like to think the outtake reels are safely stored away and preserved. On the other hand, they either wasting away somewhere or were thoughtlessly discarded.

It's really criminal we have no complete film documentation of any Rumours era shows. Nothing from 1975-1982, just lots clips floating around.

(I guess that's better than the fate suffered by their 1960s precursor,The Mamas & Papas. There is little information/documentation about their live shows. The only recorded show was their last, at Monterey Pop Festival, and it was the worst case scenario. By their own admittance, it was their worst show (for various reasons). It's heartbreaking.)
Old 10-18-2014, 09:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdm6789 View Post
I just realized my freaking auto correct changed tour to your. It's supposed to say tour. Lol
That's why it is always a good idea to reread what one has typed. But I know how you feel because this has happened to me many times when I was excited to say something and just get it out there. The words within a post can always be edited but the titles are set in stone and then you wonder if people think you are a rotten speller or something.