Addicted Ledgie

The West Australian
SIMON COLLINS, The West Australian
December 14, 2009, 8:39 am

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/ent...fleetwood-mac/

Fleetwood Mac
ME Bank Stadium
Friday, December 11

Forget Dallas, Dynasty and even our own Number 96. The best soap opera of the 70s and early 80s was Fleetwood Mac — a saga that had everything: love, drugs, sex, affairs, more drugs, insanity and wonderful music.

Rather than save it all for a Behind the Music special or an unauthorised biography, the Mac poured all these dramas into some of the greatest and most emotionally naked pop songs the world has ever heard.

And three decades later, four survivors of those tumultuous times are still reliving those painful, joyous and ultimately legendary episodes on stage for a fan base that clings to those memories, perhaps living through a few similar scenes themselves.

So it was that 12,000 Perth music lovers tuned in at ME Bank Stadium on Friday night for the first of two big gigs on the Australian leg of Fleetwood Mac’s Unleashed world tour.

The Mac always draw on the drama at concerts, with evergreen guitarist and singer Lindsey Buckingham — one-third of the Stevie Nicks love triangle with drummer Mick Fleetwood — underselling the incredible turmoil experienced by the great British-American band.

“We’ve had a fairly complex, convoluted and emotional history — it’s not always been easy,” Buckingham said on Friday night. “But in the long run, it’s been worth it.”

Fans would agree. After all, we got the songs, not the heartache.

As the Mac unleashed these emotions, it was clear that there is still a lot of love between the members, particularly Nicks and Buckingham, who embraced frequently during the performance.

Maybe it was staged, but the audience lapped it up.

They also loved the greatest hits set, dominated by classics from Fleetwood Mac’s incredible trio of 70s albums; 1975’s self-titled effort, 1977’s mega-selling Rumours and 1979’s wild Tusk.

Plenty of people were still finding their seats as the Mac opened with Monday Morning, before they kicked into the familiar thud of The Chain — a Rumours track about solidarity that perhaps rings truer than it has for many years.

Many Mac fans were there simply to see Stevie Nicks and while her husky voice can’t hold the high notes these days, she inhabited the classic Dreams and her unofficial theme songs Gold Dust Woman and Gypsy.

The latter song, as she explained during one of the many times she, Buckingham or drummer Mick Fleetwood addressed their fans, was inspired by her time alongside Buckingham in San Francisco band Fritz, playing with the likes of Janis Joplin and Jimi Hendrix.

There’s some more history for you.

Nicks and her old flame swapped the lead throughout the night, with her blonde hippie offset by his virtuosic guitar playing and eccentric, but powerful vocal performance.

Buckingham provided several highlights: Second Hand News was rollicking fun, the folky Never Going Back Again had the crowd on their feet and his solo rendition of the acoustic rocker Big Love was a master-class for guitarists in the crowd.

At 22 years old, the latter single off Tango in the Night was the youngest song played on Friday night as the Mac remained stuck in the 70s — in more ways than one.

They went back even further, to 1969 for Peter Green’s Oh Well — a reminder that Fleetwood Mac were an acclaimed British blues band before Buckingham was recruited and insisted that his girlfriend should also join.

In the set that stretched for more than two hours there were too many highlights to list, ranging from the sublime Landslide to the ridiculous (but rocking) Tusk.

One of the few steps away from the expected was Tusk track Storm, which fell flat, as did the turgid Pink Floyd-esque I’m So Afraid. At least the latter was followed by Stand Back, a fizzy pop song from Stevie Nicks’ 1983 solo album The Wild Heart.

Fleetwood Mac finished the main set with their best song ever, the bittersweet rocker Go Your Own Way. By the time they dished up the encore of World Turning and the stamping Don’t Stop, many fans were racing for the gates, having ticked all their favourite boxes.

However, the Mac weren’t done; returning for the excellent Nicks ballad Silver Springs before Buckingham, then Nicks and finally Fleetwood warmly thanked the audience for coming to see them.
Will the Mac be back?

Friday night’s performance suggests at least one more rerun.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I find it hard to believe that Storms and the turgid ISA fell flat. I mean, to the writer, obviously, but to the audience? Flat?

Michele
Old 12-14-2009, 09:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I find it hard to believe that Storms and the turgid ISA fell flat. I mean, to the writer, obviously, but to the audience? Flat?

Michele
That's the line I had to read over three times. I was suprised too since those are two songs that are consistently getting editorial accolades.

Also, this is the 2nd review from Perth with a reference to Fritz (albeit not the whole band name as in the other review.) Did Stevie actually mention this in the ever-evolving Gypsy story (well on it's way to becoming a five minute monologue) or is Wikipedia getting some additional hits this week?

Last edited by Amlyn; 12-14-2009 at 09:35 PM..
Old 12-14-2009, 09:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amlyn View Post
Also, this is the 2nd review from Perth with a reference to Fritz (albeit not the whole band name as in the other review.) Did Stevie actually mention this in the ever-evolving Gypsy story (well on it's way to becoming a five minute monologue) or is Wikipedia getting some additional hits this week?
You've probably got it. Stevie said "Fritz" and that one writer wanted to make sure he got the word right and he googled and got the full name. After all, Stevie did throw in Bob's name and she usually doesn't say that ever. Heck, Bob has been in the audience on his way to getting married in Vegas and I never heard her say his name. So, she's getting mighty specific lately.

Michele
Old 12-14-2009, 09:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
You've probably got it. Stevie said "Fritz" and that one writer wanted to make sure he got the word right and he googled and got the full name. After all, Stevie did throw in Bob's name and she usually doesn't say that ever. Heck, Bob has been in the audience on his way to getting married in Vegas and I never heard her say his name. So, she's getting mighty specific lately.

Michele
I liked the Fritz reference
kind of made me wonder if the reviewer was a fan
in any event, they did some research, which i find admirable anyway

we know Stevie carts around ALL her stage attire...do her journals come with her too?

in NZ...is she going to reveal the REAL meaning behind Sara???????
Old 12-14-2009, 10:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Michele

I was watching an upload of the Gypsy story from Sydney a little while ago and I think Stevie even talks about showing up at Lindsey's at 530 for practice that first day or something. I'm sure she can't remember what she had for dinner three nights ago, let alone what time she showed up at Lindsey's 40-something years ago. She cracks me up!
Old 12-14-2009, 10:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Michele
I love that.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetAngel86 View Post

we know Stevie carts around ALL her stage attire...do her journals come with her too?

in NZ...is she going to reveal the REAL meaning behind Sara???????
Hehe...i swear i had almost the same thought about the journals as I was writing my last post about the time reference.

I don't think we'll ever know the real meaning behind Sara. As much as I admit I want her to spill the beans, I think it would ruin that bit of mystique about the song.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Michele
No kidding. ISA was one of the shows hilites! And Storms was the greatest gift to us fans. Another line from this review I found interesting: At 22 years old, the latter single off Tango in the Night was the youngest song played on Friday night as the Mac remained stuck in the 70s — in more ways than one.
The youngest song. What a way to explain Big Love. I liked that.
Old 12-15-2009, 01:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Fleetwood Mac finished the main set with their best song ever, the bittersweet rocker Go Your Own Way.
oh really??
Old 12-15-2009, 08:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amlyn View Post
I was watching an upload of the Gypsy story from Sydney a little while ago and I think Stevie even talks about showing up at Lindsey's at 530 for practice that first day or something. I'm sure she can't remember what she had for dinner three nights ago, let alone what time she showed up at Lindsey's 40-something years ago. She cracks me up!
she's hilarious
ive always wondered how she remembers dates and stuff so clearly
and then i wonder if she just makes it all up and "approximates"

if she embellishes her boks with bling, i'm sure her stories get the same decal but i love it. she's so believable with her timelines, her accuracy seems flawless...and she doesnt remember what Gold Dust Woman is about hmmmmmmmmmmm
Old 12-15-2009, 08:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
she's hilarious

if she embellishes her boks with bling, i'm sure her stories get the same decal but i love it. she's so believable with her timelines, her accuracy seems flawless...and she doesnt remember what Gold Dust Woman is about hmmmmmmmmmmm
I think she remembers everything...she simply chooses what she wishes to reveal. Personally, I feel that long song intros kill the momentum of a concert, any concert. But that's just me. I love to hear Stevie ramble on and on (and on!) but I'd rather hear her do that in an interview rather than on stage.

I remember it all...you just had to fall...
Old 12-15-2009, 02:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
she's hilarious

Well we know that she gets her dates wrong, but we only notice when we have enough information to fact check her. When she's talking about stuff that happened before the fans were there, we have no way of checking her for accuracy. Plus, she tells the story with such matter-of-fact conviction, you just believe her.

"Yes, I drove to Lindsey's house Sunday night and we rehearsed Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. We didn't rehearse Wednesday, because his mom had the house fumed for termites. Then we opened for Janis Joplin on Saturday." We'd just believe her hook, line and sinker.

Michele
Old 12-15-2009, 05:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

"Yes, I drove to Lindsey's house Sunday night and we rehearsed Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. We didn't rehearse Wednesday, because his mom had the house fumed for termites. Then we opened for Janis Joplin on Saturday." We'd just believe her hook, line and sinker.

Michele
TOTALLY! im very suss of people in general and what they're spinning me.
But Stevie...well it's like, yeah, she's telling the truth, why would Stevie Nicks lie to ME
Old 12-16-2009, 01:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well we know that she gets her dates wrong, but we only notice when we have enough information to fact check her. When she's talking about stuff that happened before the fans were there, we have no way of checking her for accuracy. Plus, she tells the story with such matter-of-fact conviction, you just believe her.

Michele
AHAHAHAHHA. Thanks, I needed that. Its soo totally true. Nonetheless, im happy to believe