Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-06-2009, 02:34 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default The Gypsy Story

I assume most of you will have heard the story Stevie tells on this tour about the origins of Gypsy, during it she describes the Buckingham Nicks days as the best time of her life...Does anyone else think this is a dig at not only John and Mick but "Fleetwood Mac" as a whole. She is basically saying everything was fine untill you guys came along.....Or am I picking her up wrong ?
Old 12-06-2009, 02:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetwoodmark View Post
I assume most of you will have heard the story Stevie tells on this tour about the origins of Gypsy, during it she describes the Buckingham Nicks days as the best time of her life...Does anyone else think this is a dig at not only John and Mick but "Fleetwood Mac" as a whole. She is basically saying everything was fine untill you guys came along.....Or am I picking her up wrong ?
I think you're misinterpreting her. Stevie is all about Fleetwood Mac and loves to tell how she decided she and Lindsey should join. I think she wanted to make a few points in her story - this year was the 40th anniversary of Woodstock and she also has been deliberate with the "our house", "our bed" emphasis.

So, Mama is waxing nostalgic for sure, but she's not throwing Mick and John or the Fleetwood Mac banner under the bus by any stretch of the imagination.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:13 PM
Senior Ledgie

Fair enough, I'm probably being over cynical.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Fair enough, I'm probably being over cynical.
That's cool, I'm developing quite a few cynical tendancies lately myself.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
I think you're misinterpreting her. Stevie is all about Fleetwood Mac and loves to tell how she decided she and Lindsey should join. I think she wanted to make a few points in her story - this year was the 40th anniversary of Woodstock and she also has been deliberate with the "our house", "our bed" emphasis.

So, Mama is waxing nostalgic for sure, but she's not throwing Mick and John or the Fleetwood Mac banner under the bus by any stretch of the imagination.
I agree with this & I wouldn't say that the whole Buckingham/Nicks experience was all hearts & violins from what I've read.

Lee
Old 12-06-2009, 03:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I totally agree with you that she is reciting this as a a sweet reflection on how and where Lindsey and her came together (muscially and otherwise) and how the song was conceived from a time where just playing music and sharing a stage with her idols was just about enough to make her happy. And maybe a little "the way we were" nod to Lindsey too.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Gypsy was about the Buckingham Nicks era? That's news to me... but it certainly makes sense. I'm guessing it was about the post Buckingham Nicks-Pre Fleetwood Mac (ie: 1974) time... because it's kind of about simplifying life after having upward momentum.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
Gypsy was about the Buckingham Nicks era? That's news to me... but it certainly makes sense. I'm guessing it was about the post Buckingham Nicks-Pre Fleetwood Mac (ie: 1974) time... because it's kind of about simplifying life after having upward momentum.
Actually, it's about the "Fritz" era, 1969 - pre "musical" Buckingham Nicks, but early "biblical sense" Buckingham Nicks... (to borrow a phrase from LB)...
Old 12-06-2009, 05:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
Yeah it was about that era.
I really like her lil introduction
she seems so happy recounting that story
even if she tells it every night

i don't know
i get from it that that was their perfect lil time
and she would like to live in that moment forever
coz they lived a simple lil life but they were HAPPY
it's kinda sad actually
Old 12-06-2009, 07:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Gypsy has always meant a lot to me. After hearing her describe it the way she did, she made it all that much more special. I didn't think that was possible.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Actually, it's about the "Fritz" era, 1969 - pre "musical" Buckingham Nicks, but early "biblical sense" Buckingham Nicks... (to borrow a phrase from LB)...
I always understood from Mick's book, that Gypsy was about the late Robin Anderson, her best friend who died from leukemia. I didn't get it, but I was supposed it was about the good old days they lived
Old 12-11-2009, 04:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
I always understood from Mick's book, that Gypsy was about the late Robin Anderson, her best friend who died from leukemia.
I think Stevie drew parallels between Robin & "Gypsy" only long after Robin died.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 12-11-2009, 06:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
I always understood from Mick's book, that Gypsy was about the late Robin Anderson, her best friend who died from leukemia. I didn't get it, but I was supposed it was about the good old days they lived
On this tour, Stevie has been recalling what she actually wrote the song about - which apparently was the Fritz era in San Francisco, where she reveals she lived in a house in Los Gatos with Lindsey in 1969. After Robin died, she made several parallels about the song and her friend, however it was the single out at the time of Robin's death and they were performing it onstage that fall during the Mirage tour. Gypsy was actually written in the Tusk era, '79-ish, as far as we know. So, the song itself was not inspired or written about Robin at all.
Old 12-12-2009, 05:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I can't find it right now, but I saw a picture of Stevie that looked like it was from a yearbook (with her beehive hair!) with the "lightening strikes; maybe once, maybe twice" lyrics written under it. Was that reprinted from an article or was that really her senior quote?