The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Peter Green
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:30 AM
Senior Ledgie

Will do one day dude, but you should also listen to in the skies, i´m sure you´ll find enjoyment in some great singing on the title track. oh yeh!
Old 01-20-2009, 11:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoot View Post
I call bull. I know Celmins is a good writer and researcher, but that's Snowy there on a lot more of the lead lines than what's being cited or credited. Not sure why Celmins didn't dig a little deeper on this, or would leave it at that. White is a fantastic guitarist, and knew how to emulate the "Green sound" to boot. His playing style also happens to be similar to Green's to begin with, much as Doodyhead and others have noted elsewhere.
interesting snoot! i recall in this forum a while back, maybe more than a year, there was some agreement that the credits on the original us vinyl in the skies were probably reasonable (snowy lead on slabo day, snowy lead on in the skies, the rest pete). you wouldn't be willing to go out on a limb and suggest which others you think are snowy?

credits notwithstanding , a great record.

in a happy coincidence, i recently bought another vinyl copy of in the skies my original getting kind of worn. i went to play it the other day and theres a poster with quotes by pete townsend, rick fenn! bizarre... zero
Old 01-20-2009, 03:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzero View Post
interesting snoot! i recall in this forum a while back, maybe more than a year, there was some agreement that the credits on the original us vinyl in the skies were probably reasonable (snowy lead on slabo day, snowy lead on in the skies, the rest pete). you wouldn't be willing to go out on a limb and suggest which others you think are snowy?

credits notwithstanding , a great record.

in a happy coincidence, i recently bought another vinyl copy of in the skies my original getting kind of worn. i went to play it the other day and theres a poster with quotes by pete townsend, rick fenn! bizarre... zero
Actually, Snowy and Peter both play lead on "In the skies".
I listened to the album the other day, and the only point of
contention is really "Seven Stars". That could be Snowy or Peter,
otherwise the credits seem solid.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzero View Post
The Greenie orbit isn't meant to be fully honed in on, that's part of the fun I suppose. I'll leave it at this: only Snowy knows for sure, and he's not about to tip his hand, as loose lips sink ships. Great comeback album all the same, with Peter back in the studio where he belongs.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:18 AM
Senior Ledgie

Whoever played is inconsequential for me, the album for me feels like window in time when he was well enough to let us all see one last time the writing talents of the man....some great compositions, apostle is like oh well part 2 remake very nice. I love the hank marvin or santo and johnny influence that peter has, really brings the blues out in the style, and proud pinto as well, really love this album.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:17 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Apostle

Apostle is as good as anything peter has ever written and i think this song more than any breaks my heart, when you think what he was going through at the time matched with this song very sad. This is the blues gary moore take note!
Old 02-02-2009, 10:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default apostle with strings

I also find the orchestrated single version just beautiful

allegedly based upon a yiddish melody from peters grandmother

just beautiful

doodyhead

Last edited by doodyhead; 02-02-2009 at 10:18 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 02-03-2009, 03:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmanastrat View Post
Apostle is as good as anything peter has ever written and i think this song more than any breaks my heart, when you think what he was going through at the time matched with this song very sad. This is the blues gary moore take note!
I actually prefer the single version of "Apostle" moreso than the In The Skies album track. And, due to that the nylon string guitar has the main melody line, the single version's sound is much closer to almost being "Oh Well, Part THREE" than the version that is on the album.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:44 AM
Senior Ledgie

Oooo i´ve not heard that version thanks for the heads up, great something to look forward too.
You know this piece is so nice even the slighty ropey intonation on the electric guitar octaves doesnt matter.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:11 AM
Senior Ledgie

Default Apostle single verison

Got a copy now yaay! However much prefer the album version, the single is much tidier production wise etc but seems like its a more contrived atempt by the producer to make oh well part 3. The album one sounds more real for me.
Just worked out how to play proud pinto what a lovely simple piece of guitar playing, its genius Greeny rocks!
Old 02-28-2009, 06:44 AM
Ledgie

There's some really good stuff on In The Skies. I finally managed to buy the LP in the states circa 1997 on the PVK label. Some work is definately Snowy White but even if we assume Peter only had a hand in the writing its one of the last times he wrote great material.

As for the Splinter Group, my favourite recordings are Hot Foot Powder and Blues Don't Change. On the latter, Greeny seems to be enjoying himself even though it must have been around that time he was thinking of leaving. On the former, the energy from the band and guests is great...and even Nigel hasn't really taken over the project...which seems to be what happened later.

Thinking of Peter writing new material, I remember Pete Stroud of the Splinter Group saying that Peter *had* written some contributions but didn't want to be credited as he'd added aspects to already existing songs during rehearsals rather than actually sat down and written a song. He reckoned that if they d
id another album, Peter might be ready to co-write a song.
Old 05-08-2009, 04:41 AM
Senior Ledgie

Default Nerd alert!

Sorry to be such a guitar nerd but does anyone know what guitar peter used on in the skies im thinking defenitely a telecaster on proud pinto for the lead?
Probably he used several diff ones.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wink

Quote:
Sorry to be such a guitar nerd but does anyone know what guitar peter used on in the skies im thinking defenitely a telecaster on proud pinto for the lead?
Probably he used several diff ones.
When he started to record and during the pre-production of the album in late 1977, he played a Fender Jaguar.....

Cheers,

Mario.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fender-62-jaguar.jpg (55.6 KB, 11 views)
Old 05-08-2009, 02:32 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario View Post
When he started to record and during the pre-production of the album in late 1977, he played a Fender Jaguar.....

Cheers,

Mario.
How cool that makes sense i guess thank you for that, i would like to try a jaguar they look cool as well .
Old 05-08-2009, 05:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
How cool that makes sense i guess thank you for that, i would like to try a jaguar they look cool as well .
The ultimate "surf guitar"!! Being that they're so closely tied to early 60's surf music, it just seems odd to see someone playing any other genre of music on one. (just my own bias...kind of like seeing any Allman Bros Band guitarist playing something other than an SG or Les Paul)