User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-02-2005, 04:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzero
cD - i don't think so. i believe snowy joined in 80 and that gary left for good in 79. but i could be entirely wrong!

zero

I'm a huge Thin Lizzy fan, and you're entirely right. Gary Moore joined Lizzy for just a few months in 1974, then returned for 1979's Black Rose album. He left afterwards due to massive ego problems and Snowy joined in 1980. He didn't have a great time with Thin Lizzy since he wasn't the excess-all-areas rocker that the other guys were, and Snowy was very quiet onstage whereas the others were jumping around like idiots. There was one occasion when someone backstage started poking Snowy with a broom during one gig to try and get him to move about a bit more
He recorded two albums with them - 'Chinatown' (1980) and 'Renegade' (1981), which are patchy due to major drug problems for band leader Philip Lynott and the other guitarist Scott Gorham. Snowy contributed a couple of great songs though. He left in 1982 and was replaced by hairy axeman John Sykes who eventually wound up in Whitesnake.

On leaving Thin Lizzy, Snowy immediately found chart success in the UK with 'Bird of Paradise' and made some great solo albums including a couple of good blues albums with his 'Blues Agency'. He worked with Peter Green a few times, like on 'Time Traders', so I guess they stayed in touch after 'In The Skies'.

I agree with mzero that Snowy does greater justice to Peter's work than Gary Moore does. Gary is a great player, but he's just too overwrought.
Old 04-08-2005, 04:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Talking

Hello from Italy.

According to the Sanctuary website, "Watcha Gonna Do" has two extra tracks, one being the "title track", which was available only on the anthology "Blue Guitar".

But what about the second one?

Let's hope for an unreleased number, even though Martin told me that there are no unreleased tracks on all the 3 reissues.

We will see.

God bless you.

Mario.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 70s at table.jpg (63.0 KB, 32 views)
Old 04-09-2005, 09:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't know whether or not this old news - maybe it's been discussed before, but I am convinced the lead guitar on "Seven Stars" is played by Snowy White. He's not credited as playing on the song at all according to my CD sleeve notes, but I'm sure it's him.

Any opinions?
Old 04-09-2005, 02:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Smile

Yes,

I agree that the guitar playing on "Seven Stars" sounds like Snowy's, but I can say that whilst writing the sleeve notes for the Sanctuary's reissue of "In The Skies", Martin spoke on the phone with Mike Green (Peter's brother).

Mike is 100% sure that on "In The Skies" Snowy only plays lead guitar on "Slabo Day" and on "Little Dreamer" and "Watcha Gonna Do" Ronnie Johnson plays rhythm guitar throughout, only lead guitar on the track "Watcha Gonna Do"

Mario.
Old 04-09-2005, 04:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, I guess we have to believe it But I still have some funny feelings about all this. The solo on "Seven Stars" in particular sounds so much like Snowy's work with Thin Lizzy and his early solo stuff. I'm sure you know.

Maybe Mike Green isn't being too impartial about this? I feel awkward saying this but I'm not convinced the family always had Peter's interests at heart, and I speak having known some of them. Despite that, people may have made it seem like Peter was doing more than he actually was. I wouldn't be too surprised if there was some slight bending of the truth regarding these things, and Peter would surely have had little input over issues such as musicians' credits. After all, it was a Peter Green recording and it wouldn't have been ideal to say that Snowy played lots of lead guitar if this was really the case.

I find some of the composition credits odd - "Slabo Day" for example must surely have had at least some songwriting input from Snowy - so maybe there is more to all this than we can see on the surface.

Don't get me wrong, I mostly love the PVK albums and I'm not trying to put Peter down or anything. It's just that nothing connected with Peter can be taken simply

Last edited by bretonbanquet; 04-09-2005 at 04:52 PM..
Old 04-09-2005, 10:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretonbanquet
Don't get me wrong, I mostly love the PVK albums and I'm not trying to put Peter down or anything. It's just that nothing connected with Peter can be taken simply
Amen to that!

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 06-12-2005, 08:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario
Mike is 100% sure that on "In The Skies" Snowy only plays lead guitar on "Slabo Day" and on "Little Dreamer" and "Watcha Gonna Do" Ronnie Johnson plays rhythm guitar throughout, only lead guitar on the track "Watcha Gonna Do"
With all respect, I do believe Mike is wrong. I has to be Peter playing that solo on the song "Whatcha Gonna Do". Anybody?

Daniel
Old 06-13-2005, 05:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansven
With all respect, I do believe Mike is wrong. I has to be Peter playing that solo on the song "Whatcha Gonna Do". Anybody?

Daniel
I agree with you Daniel!
It's definitely Peter's PVK-era style
Old 06-13-2005, 01:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation

Well,

I agree with you all that the guitar playing on "Watcha Gonna Do" just sounds like Greeny, but sometime I tend to believe in Mike Green's opinion.

Also sometimes it's difficult to understand who plays every single solo:

For istancen "In The Skies", the second solo on "Seven Stars" sounds very much like Snowy White.

We all know very well that Snowy certainly played lead guitar on "Slabo Day".

Now we have a rehearsal version of the same track from Snowy White's "Gold Top" and according to Snowy sleeve notes, he played lead guitar with a "still uncertain" Pete Green on rythym guitar. Even so, when Martin Celmins heard this track, he told me he was 100% sure that "that was Greeny on lead guitar, his playing being 95% quite plain and 5% absoluty brilliant ".

Any input is as always welcome

Mario.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for the inputs!

About "Seven Stars" - I know that the "In The Skies" cover says that it is Peter, but I am not so sure... I think it's a bit too ... "powerful" (if you know what I mean) to be Peter's playing from the PVK era. But again, maybe it really is Peter.

To my ears it is Snowy playing lead guitar on both versions of "Slabo Day"... By the way, does anybody know what the word "Slabo" means?? Anything religious? After all much of the record is centered around Christianity...

Daniel
Old 06-14-2005, 02:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I am fairly convinced the playing on 'Seven Stars' is Snowy White, in fact I made that point somewhere on this thread a while ago. Sometimes their styles are similar, sure, but I don't think Peter could or would want to sound THAT much like Snowy. Listening to Snowy's solo work and his work with Thin Lizzy, this particular solo sounds exactly like him.

As for Slabo Day - no idea what it means! I've often tried to find out, with no luck. 'Slabo' is a word used in some eastern European languages (google to see) like Polish, Serbo-Croat etc, but I don't know what it means. It might also be a first name in some of those countries. I've also seen it spelt 'Slaybo' which doesn't mean anything as far as I can see. Maybe Peter (or someone else) just made it up...
Old 06-15-2005, 07:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Hi bretonbanquet!

And thanks for your input! I'll have to see if I find somebody from Poland etc.. and ask them!

One person once said he thought "Slabo" was a Hebrew word...

I have to check with some of the "Language guys" at the University of my town. I would have liked to hear Peter speak more about that particular song...
Old 06-15-2005, 02:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansven
Hi bretonbanquet!

And thanks for your input! I'll have to see if I find somebody from Poland etc.. and ask them!

One person once said he thought "Slabo" was a Hebrew word...

I have to check with some of the "Language guys" at the University of my town. I would have liked to hear Peter speak more about that particular song...
Hi

If 'slabo' is a Hebrew word, that would make a lot of sense, Peter being Jewish and all. Maybe there was an influence from Jane Samuels and her 'Jews for Jesus' Messianic Christianity stuff. She wrote all the lyrics for that album after all, so maybe 'Slabo Day' was her title. And Hebrew was influenced a lot by Eastern Europeans arriving in Israel after the war, so maybe there's a connection with Polish or something

Be sure to let us know if you discover the secret!
Old 06-15-2005, 02:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes, I'll let you know! But I'm not promising anything...
And it could take some time, as I am away on a holiday for the moment.

Daniel
Old 06-16-2005, 09:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario

Now we have a rehearsal version of the same track from Snowy White's "Gold Top" and according to Snowy sleeve notes, he played lead guitar with a "still uncertain" Pete Green on rythym guitar. Even so, when Martin Celmins heard this track, he told me he was 100% sure that "that was Greeny on lead guitar, his playing being 95% quite plain and 5% absoluty brilliant ".

Any input is as always welcome

Mario.
daniel, dino, mario, thanks for the info and ideas. one thing i believe, pete's best 'comeback' work (playing and writing) is on in the skies. how much that had to do with his health and personal circumstances, and how much is attributable to the other musicians is an interesting thing to consider.

i believe that snowy white is the best and most sympathetic guitarist that pete has worked with since danny k. i tend to think to think that was a positive influence on peter's playing. and while it is well know that pete was a huge influence on snowy, pete has also spoke of his admiration for snowy's playing. so at time of in the skies it seems likely that the admiration cuts both ways and that pete's playing was influenced by snowy.

another observation that i think may be correct. pete's playing on in the skies is distinctly evolved and quite different from his work with fleetwood mac. all the subsequent pvk work is in a yet different style. in his subsequent comeback his playing is further evolved, but most closely resembles the post- in the skies approach (e.g., the title track from 'blues don't change' has guitar work that is a throwback to 'little dreamer' and 'whatcha gonna do' (the album).

anyway, i'm always hoping that snowy and pete work some more together, more extensively than snowy's guest appearance on 'time traders'. snowy is making a jazz influenced album. maybe he could get pete to guest on that one.

zero