Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-08-2016, 03:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Tango : something that has always puzzled me

If Stevie was only in studio for 2 weeks , AFTER Betty Ford, why is Lindsey stating that the studio experience was so miserable? Were the other 3 still party mongers? Or was that an excuse for pulling out? Does anyone have any insight into this?
Old 06-08-2016, 04:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Its important to remember that there is always drama for every Fleetwood Mac album. You should read Mick's latest book. Mick used to wait in Lindsey's driveway for drug dealers after the studio time at his house. I bet Lindsey knew this. Stevie came into the studio with attitude. I think she felt "odd man out." Stevie said recently that Lindsey grew frustrated with her because she would show up at his studio late. She blamed it on early use of the tranquilizer Klonopin.
In Mick's first book, he writes that Christine freaked out on Stevie too. Christine had a couple of glasses of wine in her when Stevie showed up (probably late) and began to bitch and complain about the album. Stevie thought she should be on the album more. She went as far to threaten and almost blackmail the group by threatening to go to Rolling Stone magazine to tell them she had nothing to do with the album. Christine fired back....."You should have been here... I wanted you to sing back up on Everywhere but you were not here." Christine had none of it according to Mick.

Note: This part is my opinion. I see where the group layered Stevie over the album to make it sound like she was part of the group effort. Her part on Family Man is so out of left field and does not really belong IMHO. I also believe this is why Stevie's Tango songs suck so bad. Some of the demos were mailed to the group when she was on tour and then she went to rehab after the tour. I don't see Lindsey wanting to help Stevie's songs that much. I believe her demo of Welcome to the Room Sara is very similar to the album track. It shows Lindsey did not put much creative energy into the demo. Its strange because the demo actually sounds better. I think its obvious that Stevie had no single on the album. Clearly Welcome to the room Sara and When I see you again are not singles. IMHO, Seven Wonders was brought to Stevie as a contribution to the band. Stevie complained that the Mac never gave her room for songs and she could not even write 3 songs for the album. I wish the group would have considered "What has rock n roll ever done for you" as Mick mentioned in his first book. I can see Lindsey passing on the song purely because of the arrogance of the song i.e. drinking French champagne. I can see Lindsey like "Oh please, you don't need to sing about your indulgent lifestyle."

I think there was tremendous pressure on Lindsey for Tango. He interrupted his solo album and really felt the pressure to make it successful. The entire sound of the album is a Lindsey solo album with Stevie and Christine making appearances. I hear only small group Mac sound. Its appropriate that Lindsey picked one of his favorite paintings for the album cover. I am sure he felt this was his effort.
Its strange because it seems only Christine's songs had staying power from this album. Big Love was a huge hit at #5 but you never or rarely hear it ever on the radio. I listen to 80's radio and it is a very rare song to be heard. You don't hear Seven Wonders either. Those songs are not even played on classic rock stations who rotate the Mac every hour. I think that demonstrates the empty pop feel the album had. Empty pop songs are easily forgotten no matter how big they charted.
I hear Little Lies and Everywhere every week.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 06-08-2016 at 04:54 AM..
Old 06-08-2016, 07:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

This timeline always puzzled me too. She went to rehab at the end of the year. Then went into recording with Fleetwood Mac. In the videos, she looks great. So when did the Klonopin use start. I think it started when they were getting ready to tour with Rick and Billy. Going out on the road was going to be a challenge with drugs around and those around her suggested she seek help. But I always hear conflicting reports of when she actually started taking it.

I have changed, but you remain ageless
Old 06-08-2016, 07:17 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless child View Post
This timeline always puzzled me too. She went to rehab at the end of the year. Then went into recording with Fleetwood Mac. In the videos, she looks great. So when did the Klonopin use start. I think it started when they were getting ready to tour with Rick and Billy. Going out on the road was going to be a challenge with drugs around and those around her suggested she seek help. But I always hear conflicting reports of when she actually started taking it.
Well, I've heard that the effects of the Klonopin were slow to take effect on Stevie, so who knows when it really started hitting her big time. As you said, she does look terrific in the Tango photo shoots. Remarkably clear-eyed.

"No one ever leaves, everyone stays close 'till the fire fades..."
Old 06-08-2016, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Its important to remember that there is always drama for every Fleetwood Mac album. You should read Mick's latest book. Mick used to wait in Lindsey's driveway for drug dealers after the studio time at his house. I bet Lindsey knew this. Stevie came into the studio with attitude. I think she felt "odd man out." Stevie said recently that Lindsey grew frustrated with her because she would show up at his studio late. She blamed it on early use of the tranquilizer Klonopin.
In Mick's first book, he writes that Christine freaked out on Stevie too. Christine had a couple of glasses of wine in her when Stevie showed up (probably late) and began to bitch and complain about the album. Stevie thought she should be on the album more. She went as far to threaten and almost blackmail the group by threatening to go to Rolling Stone magazine to tell them she had nothing to do with the album. Christine fired back....."You should have been here... I wanted you to sing back up on Everywhere but you were not here." Christine had none of it according to Mick.

Note: This part is my opinion. I see where the group layered Stevie over the album to make it sound like she was part of the group effort. Her part on Family Man is so out of left field and does not really belong IMHO. I also believe this is why Stevie's Tango songs suck so bad. Some of the demos were mailed to the group when she was on tour and then she went to rehab after the tour. I don't see Lindsey wanting to help Stevie's songs that much. I believe her demo of Welcome to the Room Sara is very similar to the album track. It shows Lindsey did not put much creative energy into the demo. Its strange because the demo actually sounds better. I think its obvious that Stevie had no single on the album. Clearly Welcome to the room Sara and When I see you again are not singles. IMHO, Seven Wonders was brought to Stevie as a contribution to the band. Stevie complained that the Mac never gave her room for songs and she could not even write 3 songs for the album. I wish the group would have considered "What has rock n roll ever done for you" as Mick mentioned in his first book. I can see Lindsey passing on the song purely because of the arrogance of the song i.e. drinking French champagne. I can see Lindsey like "Oh please, you don't need to sing about your indulgent lifestyle."

I think there was tremendous pressure on Lindsey for Tango. He interrupted his solo album and really felt the pressure to make it successful. The entire sound of the album is a Lindsey solo album with Stevie and Christine making appearances. I hear only small group Mac sound. Its appropriate that Lindsey picked one of his favorite paintings for the album cover. I am sure he felt this was his effort.
Its strange because it seems only Christine's songs had staying power from this album. Big Love was a huge hit at #5 but you never or rarely hear it ever on the radio. I listen to 80's radio and it is a very rare song to be heard. You don't hear Seven Wonders either. Those songs are not even played on classic rock stations who rotate the Mac every hour. I think that demonstrates the empty pop feel the album had. Empty pop songs are easily forgotten no matter how big they charted.
I hear Little Lies and Everywhere every week.
I agree with everything you said. If I may add something I think at some point also Stevie was trying to save her best work for her solo albums. With rehab and overindulging lifestyle that probably wasn't her most prolific period for her as a songwriter, after seeing how things were going with the Mac album I think she may have thought it was best for her to act in favor of her solo career.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnystorms View Post
If Stevie was only in studio for 2 weeks , AFTER Betty Ford, why is Lindsey stating that the studio experience was so miserable? Were the other 3 still party mongers? Or was that an excuse for pulling out? Does anyone have any insight into this?
Yes, from what Mick himself has said, he was a bit out of control during that time. And I gather Lindsey was indulging in drugs and alcohol less than he had 5 years earlier. Mick said that Lindsey was afraid he'd pull Lindsey back into the deep end, not to mention the residual relationship problems.

Michele
Old 06-08-2016, 11:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It's a miracle the album came out as well as it did. Despite what Mick said, I don't really think Lindsey layered in that much of Stevie's vocals into the mix of the songs. Her harmonies aren't on anything besides her songs and a little bit of Little Lies. And the studio effect on her part in Family Man doesn't really count. I don't blame him, though. She wasn't sounding all that great at that time.

Last edited by SpyNote; 06-08-2016 at 11:31 AM..
Old 06-08-2016, 12:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyNote View Post
It's a miracle the album came out as well as it did. Despite what Mick said, I don't really think Lindsey layered in that much of Stevie's vocals into the mix of the songs. Her harmonies aren't on anything besides her songs and a little bit of Little Lies. And the studio effect on her part in Family Man doesn't really count. I don't blame him, though. She wasn't sounding all that great at that time.

I hear Stevie's voice on Eveywhere and Mystified.
Old 06-08-2016, 12:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLY View Post
Nope, sorry, I don't hear it on either of those songs.
Old 06-08-2016, 01:18 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Neither do I. I just hear Lindsey's altered vocals behind Chris.
Old 06-08-2016, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Mystified, I hear LB altered Stevie voice. Everywhere, I'm going to have to listen again. According to Mick's first book, they put her on Everywhere.
Old 06-08-2016, 03:16 PM
Ledgie

Two best things about Tango:
1.Cover artwork - I love this painting
2.Best of all, it led to Billy and Rick joining the band AND GOING ON THE ROAD for the first time in years with- IMO -the best setlist they've ever had.
I can still remember hearing Big Love on the radio for the first time and thinking...WTF? To this day, Tango just doesn't FEEL like Fleetwood Mac.
Old 06-08-2016, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLY View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyNote View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB View Post
Neither do I. I just hear Lindsey's altered vocals behind Chris.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Mystified, I hear LB altered Stevie voice. Everywhere, I'm going to have to listen again. According to Mick's first book, they put her on Everywhere.
I think this would be a good question for the Richard Dashut Q&A.
Old 06-08-2016, 05:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post

It's Stevie on both tracks I'm sure of it. I remember how I was a bit disappointed with the lack of Stevie on other tracks when Tango was released. Mirage wasn't any better with her involvement on Lindsey and Christine tracks.
Old 06-08-2016, 06:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Although it was probably easier without her being there, you can image if you worked (on anything) for a year and the other person who is almost receiving as much credit as you worked a couple days you would be pretty pissed too. Even Christine spelled it out for her. The resentment was probably building during the whole time they were recording. Put yourself is their place. And let's not forget the animosity that was already deeply instilled in their relationship at this point.