The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-23-2016, 07:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Rooms on Fire- help a brother out!

I love Rooms on Fire, I actually think it's very underrated among Stevie fans. One thing I've wondered about were the actual lyrics. The CD notes say the chorus is "well there is magic all around you, if I do say so myself/I have known this much longer than I've known you." That doesn't really make sense to me, and I always thought the line was "I have known HIM much longer than I've known you." I really can't tell if she's saying "this" or "him." Anyone else have the same problem?

Along the same lines, anyone want to tell me what Stevie's singing at the end of the song when she's improvising? I have a feeling I'm way off, and I'm curious what others think she's singing.
Old 07-23-2016, 10:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

This is a fascinating post. This is right up my alley. This is going to sound very cheezy but I have a spiritual connection to this song. When I first heard this song, I instantly connected and it felt that I actually wrote the song. Say what? Hear me out on this. I never had that feeling on any song before and its because of the exact line you quote. The song makes perfect sense to me and have to struggle to try to understand it the way that you do. The reason why I felt like I wrote the song is because I could relate 100% to the experience and lyrics.
Its a feeling of rush when someone you don't know walks into a room and you fall instantly in love with them. Nothing matters than this one person. The room does feel to be on fire because you have that flight feeling in your stomach. Sort of that stomach ache you feel in Jr high for your first crush. You feel you have to leave the room because you may become too obvious with your instant attraction. Time goes by and someday you finally meet this person and finally "know" them. That is how I understand this lyric line "I have known THIS (the magic all around you) much LONGER than I've known you. The instant crush and love at first sight happened well before you know this person.

So when I heard this song, I almost fell out of my chair as if someone knows exactly how I feel and someone has had a similar experience. I think Stevie says this song is about Rubert Hine. Its quite possible she knew of Rubert for a long time since he was an established producer well before she hired him.

My local paper took aim at this song during her 1989 concert review in Pittsburgh. The author stated that Stevie's solo career was running out of steam and her latest work (Rooms on Fire) had the lyrics "Somewhere out in the back of your mind....comes your real life and the life that you know.....it seems to be like one of those same old things....it seemed to be the only thing left in the light.
The author: What?
I clearly understand those lyrics too. I guess many of us are spiritually connected to Stevie and that is why we are fans.

Your interpretation "I have known HIM much longer than I've known you" does not register to me because that line means she is talking about 2 different people. This song is about falling instantly in love but not getting to know or share this with that person for a long time. There is magic all around you....EVERYTIME you walk in the room. I have known THIS much LONGER than I've KNOWN YOU. When I heard this song...it was instantly my song....I was floored that someone understood me and had the same experience. Its almost like Stevie took the words out of my mouth. I could never explain myself until I heard this song. I used to ask my friends about love at first sight. I never met anyone that agreed with me. Everyone would tell me its impossible to truly love someone you don't know and never met. But it does happen and its not lust. When you do feel it, you completely understand about the rooms on fire and magic all around someone every time they walk in the room.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 07-23-2016 at 10:36 AM..
Old 07-23-2016, 10:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
This is a fascinating post. This is right up my alley. This is going to sound very cheezy but I have a spiritual connection to this song. When I first heard this song, I instantly connected and it felt that I actually wrote the song. Say what? Hear me out on this. I never had that feeling on any song before and its because of the exact line you quote. The song makes perfect sense to me and have to struggle to try to understand it the way that you do. The reason why I felt like I wrote the song is because I could relate 100% to the experience and lyrics.
Its a feeling of rush when someone you don't know walks into a room and you fall instantly in love with them. Nothing matters than this one person. The room does feel to be on fire because you have that flight feeling in your stomach. Sort of that stomach ache you feel in Jr high for your first crush. You feel you have to leave the room because you may become too obvious with your instant attraction. Time goes by and someday you finally meet this person and finally "know" them. That is how I understand this lyric line "I have known THIS (the magic all around you) much LONGER than I've known you. The instant crush and love at first sight happened well before you know this person.

So when I heard this song, I almost fell out of my chair as if someone knows exactly how I feel and someone has had a similar experience. I think Stevie says this song is about Rubert Hine. Its quite possible she knew of Rubert for a long time since he was an established producer well before she hired him.

My local paper took aim at this song during her 1989 concert review in Pittsburgh. The author stated that Stevie's solo career was running out of steam and her latest work (Rooms on Fire) had the lyrics "Somewhere out in the back of your mind....comes your real life and the life that you know.....it seems to be like one of those same old things....it seemed to be the only thing left in the light.
The author: What?
I clearly understand those lyrics too. I guess many of us are spiritually connected to Stevie and that is why we are fans.

Your interpretation "I have known HIM much longer than I've known you" does not register to me because that line means she is talking about 2 different people. This song is about falling instantly in love but not getting to know or share this with that person for a long time. There is magic all around you....EVERYTIME you walk in the room. I have known THIS much LONGER than I've KNOWN YOU. When I heard this song...it was instantly my song....I was floored that someone understood me and had the same experience. Its almost like Stevie took the words out of my mouth. I could never explain myself until I heard this song. I used to ask my friends about love at first sight. I never met anyone that agreed with me. Everyone would tell me its impossible to truly love someone you don't know and never met. But it does happen and its not lust. When you do feel it, you completely understand about the rooms on fire and magic all around someone every time they walk in the room.
love your experience with this - thank you for sharing!
Old 07-23-2016, 10:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Wow, thanks macfan... your interpretation makes perfect sense, especially with regard to the line I was questioning. I really appreciate you sharing that.

I remember quite well the first time I heard Rooms on Fire on the radio- I was a senior in high school and was driving home from my job at a grocery store at 10pm when I switched the station and heard Stevie's unmistakable voice. Such a great song and the video is good, too.
Old 07-23-2016, 10:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Wow, thanks macfan... your interpretation makes perfect sense, especially with regard to the line I was questioning. I really appreciate you sharing that.

I remember quite well the first time I heard Rooms on Fire on the radio- I was a senior in high school and was driving home from my job at a grocery store at 10pm when I switched the station and heard Stevie's unmistakable voice. Such a great song and the video is good, too.
Interesting. I had just graduated high school and was at community college and I also worked at a grocery store. TOSOTM cassette was my staple driving to and from work. The video is my favorite Stevie video too. Have you seen the behind the scenes taping of the video?
Here it is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvii_M6M1Cs
Old 07-23-2016, 11:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I love Rooms on Fire, I actually think it's very underrated among Stevie fans. One thing I've wondered about were the actual lyrics. The CD notes say the chorus is "well there is magic all around you, if I do say so myself/I have known this much longer than I've known you." That doesn't really make sense to me, and I always thought the line was "I have known HIM much longer than I've known you." I really can't tell if she's saying "this" or "him." Anyone else have the same problem?

Along the same lines, anyone want to tell me what Stevie's singing at the end of the song when she's improvising? I have a feeling I'm way off, and I'm curious what others think she's singing.
I never got the impression that it was underrated by her fans. I've always loved the song, if I do say so myself.

Agree with Macfan4life's interpretation of the lyrics in question. Admiration from a distance before you actually meet that person.
Old 07-23-2016, 01:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The last truly great pop/rock single by any member of Fleetwood Mac. Countdown and Planets of the Universe are close and Friend if it had better production.

Old 07-24-2016, 03:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks, Macfan- that behind the scenes footage of the video was awesome to see!
Old 07-25-2016, 06:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

ROF should have been a major hit - but Stevie fell out of favor. Fleetwood Mac was tumultuous after Tango, and she had gained some weight. The picture/packaging of the CD was somewhat alarming compared to the Stevie from before (that's me being kind in saying that she looked frighteningly different). The music was judged by everything but the music. There are really great songs on that album! I have known this much longer than I've known you.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabellee View Post
ROF should have been a major hit - but Stevie fell out of favor. Fleetwood Mac was tumultuous after Tango, and she had gained some weight. The picture/packaging of the CD was somewhat alarming compared to the Stevie from before (that's me being kind in saying that she looked frighteningly different). The music was judged by everything but the music. There are really great songs on that album! I have known this much longer than I've known you.

I thought she looked incredibly good looking in the ROF video.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:25 PM
Senior Ledgie

This is definately my favorite out of all of her solo singles. It's always been my favorite. I thought she looked stunning in the video, as well.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This has always been one of my favorite solo tracks that I never get sick of hearing. It also is a stand out for me because my daughters were two years of age when this single was released. When the video would come on my girls would grab their " mics" and would mimic Stevie during the video. My wife and I would just crack up watching them.
Old 07-26-2016, 03:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I agree.
HIGHLY underrated

as is the music video.
probably her best.
she looks soooooooooooo gorgeous in that white dress/robe thing
and the red going down the stairs
and her hair

uuuuuuugh i love it so much
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ROF1.jpg (43.3 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by StreetAngel86; 07-26-2016 at 03:54 AM.. Reason: so excited about that pic i forgot how to spell
Old 07-26-2016, 04:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Great song and fantastic video.
It also was the end of an era. Rooms on Fire was Stevie's last solo hit. It was her last top 40 hit in her solo career. It also was the last year of the crazy 80's. The song made it into the top 20 but the video was top 10 on MTV. It got very heavy rotation. The video is incredible. I love her queen walk down the stairs to see her reflection in the mirror. I also love the shots of her at the piano and on the balcony as the car turns up the hill.
I did not care for anything from Rock A Little. Rooms on fire was so refreshing. A song Stevie actually wrote herself with real drums and real instruments. Its written from the heart. In addition her voice was not fried. Stevie Nicks was back with a great song.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 07-26-2016 at 04:59 AM..
Old 07-26-2016, 04:23 PM
Senior Ledgie

I also have to mention, that there are so many different versions of this song! A few years ago, when I still made CD-Rs', I ended up with 12 different versions when I made my own "maxi-single" for this. (It also included "Alice" as the b-side.) One of my favorites is the un-mixed version that appeared on the vocal slave master reels dated 12/19/1988. It gives the song a very "poppy-ish" feel. I love it! Is anyone else familiar with what I'm talking about? Those master reels are never mentioned among the community it seems...
And the 12" mix which runs for 9 minutes is HEAVEN! Unfortunately, I have to agree about it being the end of an era...