Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-25-2024, 11:56 PM
Ledgie

Default "Got a Hold on Me" single released 40 years ago

Forty years ago on 25 January 1984, "Got a Hold on Me" was released as the lead single from Christine McVie's eponymous second album.
Old 01-26-2024, 09:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

You beat me to the punch. I was waiting for the album to have its 40th anniversary to post it here. But we might as well start now. I remember the day I heard it on the radio the first time. There was no internet for me to know Chris was working on a solo album. In early February 1984 our school had a 2 hour snow delay. I was in my bedroom listening to the radio and Got A Hold On Me came on the radio. I knew instantly it was Chris. I was so excited she was releasing a solo album. I bought the album a few weeks later and then her solo tour was announced. I was thrilled to say the least.
Old 01-26-2024, 09:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
. I was in my bedroom listening to the radio and Got A Hold On Me came on the radio. I knew instantly it was Chris. I was so excited she was releasing a solo album.
I understand you knew it was Chris just by hearing her voice, I mean before the DJ announced who (she or band) was. Did you think it could be a Fleetwood Mac song?
Old 01-26-2024, 09:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
You beat me to the punch. I was waiting for the album to have its 40th anniversary to post it here. But we might as well start now. I remember the day I heard it on the radio the first time. There was no internet for me to know Chris was working on a solo album. In early February 1984 our school had a 2 hour snow delay. I was in my bedroom listening to the radio and Got A Hold On Me came on the radio. I knew instantly it was Chris. I was so excited she was releasing a solo album. I bought the album a few weeks later and then her solo tour was announced. I was thrilled to say the least.
Sometimes I think we were totally leading parallel lives lol. Did you stay up to watch the MTV documentary about the making of her album in Switzerland, too?! I remember I didn't have any videotapes so I ended up recording it on an audiotape, with my boom box propped on the kitchen chair next to the TV. I just tossed that tape when I cleaned out my basement during covid 😂

--Lis
Old 01-26-2024, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin Emeritus View Post
Sometimes I think we were totally leading parallel lives lol. Did you stay up to watch the MTV documentary about the making of her album in Switzerland, too?! I remember I didn't have any videotapes so I ended up recording it on an audiotape, with my boom box propped on the kitchen chair next to the TV. I just tossed that tape when I cleaned out my basement during covid 😂

--Lis
I watched that docu about 100 times. I had that and concert on VHS. I think my grades suffered because of Christine's solo effort!
Old 01-26-2024, 02:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin Emeritus View Post
Sometimes I think we were totally leading parallel lives lol. Did you stay up to watch the MTV documentary about the making of her album in Switzerland, too?! I remember I didn't have any videotapes so I ended up recording it on an audiotape, with my boom box propped on the kitchen chair next to the TV. I just tossed that tape when I cleaned out my basement during covid ��

--Lis
I would have stayed up all night to watch it on MTV except for the fact we did not have MTV. I would have sawed off my own foot to see it. I remember during her concert before "Too Much Is Not Enough" she asked everyone "Do you guys have MTV?" and she said how it was performed there. I felt deprived that I could not have seen it.
Back in those days there was no internet. The only way to hear about concerts coming to your city was the Sunday paper or if it was announced on the radio. But there was a third option. The rock station had a telephone number you would call and list off all the acts coming to down at various venues. When I called the number one day and heard Christine was coming to town I almost fainted. Generation Z will never understand that back then people called a number to find out the weather and what concerts were coming to town.
But I did record the HBO Mirage show from the TV on my tape recorder at 2am on a school night!

Last edited by Macfan4life; 01-26-2024 at 02:19 PM..
Old 01-26-2024, 02:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
I understand you knew it was Chris just by hearing her voice, I mean before the DJ announced who (she or band) was. Did you think it could be a Fleetwood Mac song?
No, I knew it was not Fleetwood Mac. I knew they were apart and solo albums were in full effect. Stevie's solo album was still releasing singles so I knew she was far too busy in 1983 to spend time recording with Fleetwood Mac. I knew it was solo right away. There is an American Top 40 Chart from March 1984 that had Got A Hold On Me entering the chart one spot ahead of Nightbird.
Old 01-26-2024, 02:45 PM

Quote:
No, I knew it was not Fleetwood Mac. I knew they were apart and solo albums were in full effect. Stevie's solo album was still releasing singles so I knew she was far too busy in 1983 to spend time recording with Fleetwood Mac. I knew it was solo right away. There is an American Top 40 Chart from March 1984 that had Got A Hold On Me entering the chart one spot ahead of Nightbird.
There was a lot of build up for Christine's album on MTV. We knew it was coming. We just didn't know when that single and video was going to drop. So it was super shock!!
Old 01-27-2024, 06:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I found a newspaper review of her concert in Ft Lauderdale, FL from June 1984. Its not the first review that I read claiming that people missed out by not attending this incredible concert. It was a bit baffling the hit maker from Fleetwood Mac had a hit solo record but did not pack the house.

A fatigued McVie is still in fine voice
June 2, 1984
A nonstop tour schedule of one-night stands since April 15 has left singer-songwriter Christine McVie more than a mite weary. Her lack of energy was evident in concert Thursday night at Sunrise Musical Theatre, and was the only deterrent to an otherwise fine performance.

McVie was in good voice, right on the mark with her distinctive smoky, sleepy, blues singing style. She was backed by an excellent five-piece band, most of whose members also accompanied her on her recently released solo album, titled Christine McVie. Her repertoire was a well-chosen selection of her solo songs, as well as those she has recorded in her 13-year career with Fleetwood Mac.

McVie’s reputation as a laid-back performer seems to have preceded her throughout her first tour apart from the legendary band. Sunrise Theatre was less than half full, as has been the case at many of McVie’s other stops. This was unfortunate, not only for McVie and band, but also for those who missed the show, an enjoyable and musically proficient package of ballads, rockabilly and basic rock ‘n’ roll.

McVie is more than aware that the tour hasn’t been a big draw.

“Being on solo tour is less and more than I expected,” she said after the show. “Actually, I expected more people, but I’m happy with the response from the people that did come out.”

Those who did made up for their small numbers with a warm reception, which became warmer and louder as McVie seemed to pick up on their positive vibes and opened up, if just a little.

Accompanying herself on electric and acoustic piano, McVie sang most of the songs from the Christine McVie album, including its two singles — “Got a Hold on Me,” which became a hit soon after its release, and “Love Will Show Us How,” now rising on the charts. Also memorable were her album cuts “Ask Anybody,” a haunting ballad that clearly displays the soulful emotion of McVie’s voice, and “So Excited,” a rollicking rockabilly-style number.

For the most part, the songs from McVie’s solo album sounded better than the Fleetwood Mac hits she sang — “Hold Me,” “Over My Head,” “You Make Loving Fun” and “Don’t Stop.” “Don’t Stop,” especially, sounded rather empty without Stevie Nicks’ high accompanying vocals.

McVie’s back-up band nearly made up for her subdued manner with an energetic, rhythmic performance. Lead guitarist Todd Sharp (especially notable for some hot breaks), guitarist Steve Bruton, bassist George Hawkins, drummer Steve Ferrone and keyboardist Eddy Quintela formed a tight, balanced unit. When the three guitarists performed without McVie on Guitar Bug, a bouncy rocker a la Chuck Berry, the audience responded almost as enthusiastically as it did at McVie’s encore.

McVie, who said she plans to record another solo album after helping Fleetwood Mac complete its new LP, looked smashingly British in red suede boots, a black and white leopard-spotted blouse, black vest and jeans.

Opening the show for McVie was the Baxter Robertson Band, a five-piece Los Angeles-based rock group with a good beat, some promising songs, and a hard-working lead singer-guitarist- saxophone player.

Linda R. Thornton / Miami Herald (FL) / June 2, 1984

Last edited by Macfan4life; 01-27-2024 at 06:45 AM..
Old 01-27-2024, 07:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It was a bit baffling the hit maker from Fleetwood Mac had a hit solo record but did not pack the house.
I think it is the star effect. Stevie is talented, but mostly she is or was a star. Christine was a great artist. It's like Alec Guiness, who was a GREAT actor, but Rock Hudson was a star.

Besides I don't know how much Christine wanted to be a star. I guess she was fine with the kind of popularity she got.
Old 01-27-2024, 10:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
I think it is the star effect. Stevie is talented, but mostly she is or was a star. Christine was a great artist. It's like Alec Guiness, who was a GREAT actor, but Rock Hudson was a star.

Besides I don't know how much Christine wanted to be a star. I guess she was fine with the kind of popularity she got.
No doubt. I think Stevie's insecurities about not being a musician forced her to develop a character on stage. It was shtick and it created a huge following. She was brilliant to do that just like Madonna did in the mid 80s. She developed her own look and persona. Stevie has more talent than Madonna has in her little toe but the concept was the same. Stevie is one of the best song writers and at one point was one hell of a singer. Madonna's insecurities about not having talent to write and sing made her develop a similar shtick that really worked for her. It made her a star. Paul Fishkin also was very smart in marketing a solo Stevie. She would not be taken seriously as some airy fairy with sugary pop songs. They marketed her as a full rock artist. By doing so gave Stevie even more credibility. Sadly as the albums drifted on, she lost that concept. I don't think people expected Christine to sell out arenas. But when a legend comes to town with a hit solo album performing all the Mac's hits you would think would at least fill a small theater. This is what annoyed Lindsey and I am sure got to Chris when the shtick was more powerful than the music.
Old 01-28-2024, 03:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I would have stayed up all night to watch it on MTV except for the fact we did not have MTV. I would have sawed off my own foot to see it. I remember during her concert before "Too Much Is Not Enough" she asked everyone "Do you guys have MTV?" and she said how it was performed there. I felt deprived that I could not have seen it.
Back in those days there was no internet. The only way to hear about concerts coming to your city was the Sunday paper or if it was announced on the radio. But there was a third option. The rock station had a telephone number you would call and list off all the acts coming to down at various venues. When I called the number one day and heard Christine was coming to town I almost fainted. Generation Z will never understand that back then people called a number to find out the weather and what concerts were coming to town.
But I did record the HBO Mirage show from the TV on my tape recorder at 2am on a school night!
I can totally relate. at 13, I was already an obsessive Fleetwood Mac fan - yet I had not idea Chris was working on a solo record until the single was played on the radio in January of '84.

As I excitedly ran to get a blank cassette tape to record, I wondered if "Got a Hold On Me" was a NEW Fleetwood Mac song. I didn't hear Stevie and Lindsey's timbre in the song's harmony vocals. The DJ then announced the new single. Several days later, I heard "Got a Hold On Me" debut on Casey Kasem's "American Top 40 Countdown" -- as Chris' single was saddled up alongside Stevie Nicks' "Nightbird" somewhere in the 30's on the chart.

I ran to the record store on the day of the album release with my allowance money to buy Chris' new solo album. I wore out the record nonstop for weeks. When I learned that Chris was playing my city in June of 1984 in a small 2,000 seat theater, I was elated! I was first in line at the Foley's Ticketmaster outlet to buy my concert tickets. Ticket demand was so low that I scored FRONT ROW SEATS! Chris only managed to sell about 900 seats and played to a half empty theater.

I was in HEAVEN. One of the best concerts of my life.
Old 01-28-2024, 03:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
I can totally relate. at 13, I was already an obsessive Fleetwood Mac fan - yet I had not idea Chris was working on a solo record until the single was played on the radio in January of '84.

As I excitedly ran to get a blank cassette tape to record, I wondered if "Got a Hold On Me" was a NEW Fleetwood Mac song. I didn't hear Stevie and Lindsey's timbre in the song's harmony vocals. The DJ then announced the new single. Several days later, I heard "Got a Hold On Me" debut on Casey Kasem's "American Top 40 Countdown" -- as Chris' single was saddled up alongside Stevie Nicks' "Nightbird" somewhere in the 30's on the chart.

I ran to the record store on the day of the album release with my allowance money to buy Chris' new solo album. I wore out the record nonstop for weeks. When I learned that Chris was playing my city in June of 1984 in a small 2,000 seat theater, I was elated! I was first in line at the Foley's Ticketmaster outlet to buy my concert tickets. Ticket demand was so low that I scored FRONT ROW SEATS! Chris only managed to sell about 900 seats and played to a half empty theater.

Wow, we definitely were all in a parallel universe then.
I had to be creative and find a way to get to the concert. So I actually won tickets on some radio station. I cracked their code of when they would play a Fleetwood Mac song to win. I had to be the 7th caller and I was the first and 7th caller and won. I prayed and danced to the Rhiannon gods and guess what? Rhiannon was the song I won the tickets to. But wait. I did it again and won again. I was afraid they would say that I could not win twice so I gave my friend's name and address for them to send the tickets to.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 01-28-2024 at 03:59 PM..
Old 01-28-2024, 05:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post

I bought the tape with my babysitting money...

..and you're right that the low ticket demand worked in our favor....when we got to great adventure i remember we walked into the little ampitheater area and I told my parents we had to sit in the bleachers, because I figured people had tickets to get close to the stage. turned out hardly anybody came and we were able to get the hell out of the bleachers and walk aallll the way up to the stage and i was practically in the front row too! i think i was maybe in the second row, it was hard to tell w everybody standing and i was short lol. but omg i never thought i'd be so close to her. we made eye contact several times, i was in heaven also....

i remember the concert goodies they sold , i bought a little pin that said 'Christine' w some music notes on it, and a white tank top that had her songs listed in small black writing all over it, i think w music notes on it, too. i don't think i was ever brave enough to wear it to school but i wore it during the summers at home until my boobs got too big to fit in it anymore...damn shirt shrunk. i think i still have it saved upstairs. and the pin, too.

and i took crappy pics w my disc camera that i still have as well!

--Lis
Old 01-28-2024, 05:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Wow, we definitely were all in a parallel universe then.
I had to be creative and find a way to get to the concert. So I actually won tickets on some radio station. I cracked their code of when they would play a Fleetwood Mac song to win. I had to be the 7th caller and I was the first and 7th caller and won. I prayed and danced to the Rhiannon gods and guess what? Rhiannon was the song I won the tickets to. But wait. I did it again and won again. I was afraid they would say that I could not win twice so I gave my friend's name and address for them to send the tickets to.
that is amazing !!

-Lis