Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-02-2015, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Let's hope we don't start seeing trigger warnings on the Ledge. If sensitive people are especially squeamish and they see a thread with the subject "Hunting & Meat," how about they take matters into their own hands and move on to the next thread? It's easy to take care of yourself—with a little practice! (Too many people these days want someone to tie their shoes for them.)
I asked that because, being this a relocated thread, at the start I had posted the picture in question in my other thread wanting to explain why in my opinion Ted Nugent isn't a respectable person: (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showth...t=54809&page=3)
Since I haven't read anything in the forum rules about explicit violence photos posted for informational purpose I do not think it's forbidden, but, after having reflected upon it, I deleted the picture and mantained simply a link to the article because after having said that that man is insensitive even if lawful I didn't want to commit the same mistake.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:23 AM

Ted Nugent Defends Lion-Killing Dentist
By Dave Lifton July 29, 2015 10:59 PM

Over the past few days, the world has seen much outrage expressed over the death of Cecil, a beloved lion that had been living on the Hwange Game Reserve in Zimbabwe. However, the man responsible for Cecil’s death, a dentist from Minnesota named Walter Palmer, has received support from noted hunter Ted Nugent.

The whole story is a lie,” Nugent wrote on his Facebook page in response to a question about the issue. “It was a wild lion from a ‘park’ where hunting is legal & ESSENTIAL beyond the park borders. All animals reproduce every year & would run out of room/food to live w/o hunting. I will write a full piece on this joke asap. God are people stupid

According to CBS News, Cecil, who was considered a national treasure and tourist attraction in Zimbabwe, had been researched by the Wildlife Unit of Oxford University for more than 10 years and fitted with a GPS device so that his movements could be tracked. It is believed that Cecil was lured outside the grounds of the park, shot with an arrow and, after 40 hours of stalking, shot by an arrow.

Palmer, who reportedly paid $55,000, has expressed sorrow for his actions, issuing a statement that he “had no idea that the lion I took was a known, local favorite, was collared and part of a study until the end of the hunt. I relied on the expertise of my local professional guides to ensure a legal hunt. I deeply regret that my pursuit of an activity I love and practice responsibly and legally resulted in the taking of this lion.

Read More: Ted Nugent Defends Lion-Killing Dentist | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/ted-n...ckback=tsmclip
Old 07-30-2015, 01:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I grew up around hunting and I don't understand the people talked about here. I don't remember any joy other than well we have something to eat. We valued it highly, duck and deer and so on. These people waste for some odd enjoyment. I'm sure my grandfather had some feelings of regret or respect missing from the above? Deerskins went on to someone else, feathers for pillows, antlers for racks of various kinds. I know back then the men wanted to be accurate to avoid any suffering, and the animals lived real lives up to then and not a factory for meat/fur/leather. With 11.2 billion people forecast by 2100 I can't imagine there'd be any room.

I enjoy watching the deer and squirrels in the yard at my parents' home but I also wouldn't hesitate to eat them if I had to, and I read both Bambi and Timmy Tiptoes as a child. I helped butchered, pluck and clean. I support Bear World in Idaho when I can that rescues cubs and also provides as decent a home as possible for various wildlife.
Old 07-30-2015, 02:11 PM

I totally relate to you, I'm young but my parents are aged and they come from a time when hunting was necessary to live.
Even now in my country hunting to control the number of specimens of some animals is essential because they are threatening to the environment but it's not considered a sport. The animal is cared to not suffer uselessly and no part of the animal goes wasted.
Hunting is not a sport. I guess men nowadays have lost the humbleness and pity to recognize the value of the life of lesser beings.
Old 07-31-2015, 04:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My late step father and my late sisters boyfriends were hunters.They eat what they catch game also include fishing too.

Now if the lion or any other animals wild or not also including pet dogs and cats goes off and bite or scratch an idiot with was harassing or hurting the animal .I dont feel sorry , " Non life threatening"if the person gets scratched or beating up alittlebit.

I never got into to hunting but I do my hunting at the supermarket meat dept.God knows whats mixed into the meat there or how it was handled in the slaughter house too.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 08-06-2015, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfanforever View Post
My late step father and my late sisters boyfriends were hunters. They eat what they catch game also include fishing too.

Now if the lion or any other animals wild or not also including pet dogs and cats goes off and bite or scratch an idiot with was harassing or hurting the animal .I dont feel sorry , " Non life threatening"if the person gets scratched or beating up alittlebit.

I never got into to hunting but I do my hunting at the supermarket meat dept.God knows whats mixed into the meat there or how it was handled in the slaughter house too.
Yeah, that's even a bigger problem than hunting. Where I live thankfully it's quite widespread biological meat, when I was little it had been discovered that one of Italy's greatest companies of meat, milk and dairies used steroids hormones and it was such a great scandal.
Old 08-08-2015, 11:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
Yeah, that's even a bigger problem than hunting. Where I live thankfully it's quite widespread biological meat, when I was little it had been discovered that one of Italy's greatest companies of meat, milk and dairies used steroids hormones and it was such a great scandal.
Yes.Thats happening here to.

Old 08-09-2015, 10:12 AM

Here is a bit passed since the time of the mad cow disease and the bird flu because supervision has become very strict but everyone is still very:
Old 08-09-2015, 02:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Here is a bit passed since the time of the mad cow disease and the bird flu because supervision has become very strict but everyone is still very:
Yea We had cases of that plus e coli with meat recalls here.

Whos the girl.

Old 08-09-2015, 02:54 PM

Sorry man, it's a meme, precisely it's "unimpressed little girl"
Old 08-09-2015, 03:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Sorry man, it's a meme, precisely it's "unimpressed little girl"
OK I see.....

Old 08-10-2015, 01:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca View Post
I grew up around hunting...
Your answer surprised me Becca.

As soon as I saw your name I figured I knew what was coming
next. But I was wrong.

As for hunting, if people are going to eat what they kill I have
no problem with it. We are overrun with White-tailed deer.
They are a danger to drivers and they eat up farmers crops.

Why someone would get a thrill out of killing a lion or giraffe
is beyond me though. I could see killing a lion if I lived in Africa,
but to go there and hunt for sport - I don't get it.

But then there are the nut-jobs who want to kill the dentist.
You read more about the lions that were killed than the many
children that die each day in Africa from starvation or violence.
Old 06-05-2016, 08:10 AM

Today is World Environment Day; this year's theme is "illegal hunting". The newscast for the occasion was happy to spread the news that the giant panda is not an endangered species anymore.
The positive things in my country are that the areas of recycling and Nature, like protected areas, parks and animals,really improved. However still not enough renewable energy.
I didn't know that poaching is the fourth international mafia after the drug trafficking, the human trafficking and the weapons black market. I hope this helps building more environmental awareness with time so that more goals will be achieved.
Old 09-01-2016, 08:13 AM

If someone is interested, I found the list of foreign brands that adhere to the "cruelty-free" standard, some of which spread to other nations (like Italy), on the Cruelty Free International website (ex BUAV): https://www.crueltyfreeinternational...gBunny?/brands

And the site that represent the standard for USA, the CCIC: http://www.leapingbunny.org/guide/brands

In the UK, also NatureWatch spreads a list of companies that comply with the Standard, but unfortunately the guide is available only on paper, and then fee required: http://naturewatch.org/compassionate...shopping-guide

Last edited by SisterNightroad; 09-02-2016 at 09:18 AM..
Old 09-21-2017, 11:42 AM