The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Weeds and True Blood (Moved from SN Forum)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
I should get mine soon - saw the cover online already, wow! True Blood is the best show on television right now.
Weeds was the best show... but the new season premiere has me kinda scratching my head. Something is a bit off this time around... maybe the script is a bit weak. Maybe Andy's scenery chewing is a bit over the top. Shane was a cute kid and is now going through a very awkward man-child stage. But perhaps what is most revealing is that Nancy has finally revealed her undiagnosed sociopathic disorder. Anyway... I'm going to watch, but I'm not getting a good vibe about this new season...

I watched The Big C too, which was AMAZING. I always was a Laura Linney fan starting way back from the Tales of the City mini-series. But, wow... she has grown into the most amazing actress- on par with Meryl Streep. The last scene of the first show, in which she's talking to herself (well, actually the neighbor's dog), is the most amazing piece of acting I've watched in a long time.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

The RS/True Blood cover is hideous. I don't watch the show though, so maybe I just don't get it?
Old 08-18-2010, 10:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
Weeds was the best show... but the new season premiere has me kinda scratching my head. Something is a bit off this time around... maybe the script is a bit weak. Maybe Andy's scenery chewing is a bit over the top. Shane was a cute kid and is now going through a very awkward man-child stage. But perhaps what is most revealing is that Nancy has finally revealed her undiagnosed sociopathic disorder. Anyway... I'm going to watch, but I'm not getting a good vibe about this new season...
Yeah. No matter how they spin it, murder just ain't funny even if that Pilar was a bitch.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn View Post
The RS/True Blood cover is hideous. I don't watch the show though, so maybe I just don't get it?
Agreed. Nothing against blood. A nice thick stream sprouting from two bite marks on the neck would be great. But splattered blood all over skin like that . . . ugh.

Michele
Old 08-21-2010, 12:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Agreed. Nothing against blood. A nice thick stream sprouting from two bite marks on the neck would be great. But splattered blood all over skin like that . . . ugh.

Michele
Big fan of True Blood and the cover makes perfect sense for this season in particular (which is VERY bloody). However when I saw it I was thinking that this would have to be issued in a brown wrapper. Not just because of the nudity, but because of the overall image.
I personally don't have a problem with the shot, but can understand why others might.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skuncles View Post
Big fan of True Blood and the cover makes perfect sense for this season in particular (which is VERY bloody). However when I saw it I was thinking that this would have to be issued in a brown wrapper. Not just because of the nudity, but because of the overall image.
I personally don't have a problem with the shot, but can understand why others might.
I bought the first season DVDs for True Blood and am looking forward to starting it. I haven't seen any of the show so far, but look forward to sinking my teeth in, so to speak.

Michele
Old 08-21-2010, 12:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I bought the first season DVDs for True Blood and am looking forward to starting it. I haven't seen any of the show so far, but look forward to sinking my teeth in, so to speak.

Michele
1st season is good (get's REALLY good by about episode 5), the second season is my favorite so far of the three. Of all of the seasons though I find the Bill/Sookie storyline the least interesting.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Michele
it's kinda gross. I guess it's a requirement in 2010 to be naked in order to be on the cover of Rolling Stone. I would have preferred a more classic, gothic setting with castles, fangs, coffins and velvet cloaks. But I guess that's not really the vibe of the show. I've seen two episodes. That was enough.

I remember it all...you just had to fall...
Old 09-02-2010, 02:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheart View Post
it's kinda gross. I guess it's a requirement in 2010 to be naked in order to be on the cover of Rolling Stone. I would have preferred a more classic, gothic setting with castles, fangs, coffins and velvet cloaks. But I guess that's not really the vibe of the show. I've seen two episodes. That was enough.
Yeah, that really isn't the vibe of the show.
Sex is really the centerpiece of it all, and the cover shows that pretty well.
Sookie is right there in the middle of Bill and Eric; that's how it is on the show...

P.S. The RS that I have is the Trueblood cover...no Mad Men cover for me
Old 09-21-2010, 01:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
Weeds was the best show... but the new season premiere has me kinda scratching my head. Something is a bit off this time around...
Weeds has jumped the shark way too many times. How many more crazy scenarios can the characters get themselves wrapped up in? It's getting old. The only thing really holding my attention at this point is Mary Louise Parker's outfits and Andy's hilarious one-liners. This show needs to wrap up soon.

True Blood on the hand is riveting. I can't wait for the next season. Fairies in the world of vampires? This is going to get interesting.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffdweller View Post
Weeds has jumped the shark way too many times. How many more crazy scenarios can the characters get themselves wrapped up in? It's getting old. The only thing really holding my attention at this point is Mary Louise Parker's outfits and Andy's hilarious one-liners. This show needs to wrap up soon.

True Blood on the hand is riveting. I can't wait for the next season. Fairies in the world of vampires? This is going to get interesting.
Well, Weeds is all about shark jumping. In fact, I think they need to work an actual shark jumping stunt into the plot somehow. It has never been rooted in any semblance of reality and it has been the most cleverly absurd, politically incorrect piece of escapism ever concocted for television. I thought it was wise for Jenji Kohan to move beyond the initial parameters of the show, i.e., pot dealing MILF trapped in a cookie cutter housing tract development in suburban hell. It wouldn't have lasted five seasons, let alone three. What I love about the show is how they get themselves into such dire straits that it is impossible to imagine how they could ever wiggle themselves out of their predicaments. And even though she is a sociopath and the maker of very bad decisions, one cannot help but feel pathos for Nancy/Nathalee as a single mother trying to get ahead in the world. I hope the show goes on forever!

One thing that does bother me this season is that Mary Louise Parker's face seems to change from scene to scene... the tell-tale signs of Botox abuse. Yes, she looks amazing for her age, but perhaps it's time to allow herself to age normally- after all, she is supposed to be the mother of a college-age kid.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Fairies in the world of vampires? This is going to get interesting.
Having read the books, Sookie's brother is also part fairie, which is why he attracts everyone despite his dimness. As the books progress, Eric becomes much more significant than Bill and Sookie is increasingly whorish. That said, I think the writing on the show is much better than the books.

Love Weeds, but it jump sharks that are piled a mile high. But without those stunts, we wouldn't have gotten last season's cliffhanger - involving an unexpected kill - which, in my opinion, outdid any other show last year.

"Hi, I'm Katy Perry and this image sums up my career and how I got there."
Old 09-21-2010, 02:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldDustOrphan View Post
As the books progress, Eric becomes much more significant than Bill

I hope this is the case for the series too. Bill is bugging. LOVE Eric!
Old 09-21-2010, 03:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffdweller View Post
I hope this is the case for the series too. Bill is bugging. LOVE Eric!
love, love eric as well~
Old 09-21-2010, 07:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The last 5 posts have nothing to do with Stevie's Rolling Stone blurb. Can we stay on topic, please?

Or move the Weeds, Tru Blood conversation to another thread?