I Don't Want To Know 7 29.17%
Oh Daddy 0 0%
Gold Dust Woman 2 8.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-04-2023, 08:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I have a personal reason for considering I Don’t Want to Know as a 5th single- if it had been released as a single, then maybe it would have been performed live by the band on occasion. Every other song on Rumours was performed live.
It did get performed on the Buckingham Nicks Tour!
Old 09-04-2023, 09:13 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I'm having a blond moment... what was the 4th single from White(hopefully not counting Warm Ways from England)?
Rhiannon
SYLM
Over My Head
?
In the UK, the fourth single from the White album was "Say You Love Me". Only three were released in the US: "Over My Head", "Rhiannon", and "Say You Love Me".
Old 09-04-2023, 09:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
I agree. Unlike the Rumours album, which exploded upon its release, The White Album built momentum slowly over a year. By the time Say You Love Me was released, the album was on fire. Releasing Monday Morning as a 4th single would have guaranteed a Top 10 hit.

I can only imagine that Warners had already focused its sights on Rumours.
Yes strange while an album is #1 to stop releasing singles from it. It was another time back then. Its almost like the album was such a success they called it a day and planned on going back to the studio.
Not sure this would happen today. But these would make great questions for the record company. Since the album was on the charts for a year maybe they feared Fleetwood Mac burn out from radio stations? There were no videos or MTV back then so just releasing a single would seem rather easy.
In any event, are there other bands with hugely successful albums that stopped releasing singles while the album and singles were hot?
Old 09-04-2023, 09:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkAThinLine. View Post
In the UK, the fourth single from the White album was "Say You Love Me". Only three were released in the US: "Over My Head", "Rhiannon", and "Say You Love Me".
I only remembered the three being released.

So I was right.... I'm used to that.
Old 09-04-2023, 10:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The only song that got zero radio play from Rumours was Oh Daddy. Every other song I recall hearing on the radio. I Don’t Want to Know is the song that got me hooked….and I heard on a Philly radio station in 1977.
Old 09-04-2023, 11:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

When did Say You Love Me hit its peak? It was realeased in June ‘76…..but did it hit the charts straight away? Go Your Own Way was released in December, so there’s a big enough gap for an additional single. And it’s not as if the Fleetwood Mac album hit the heights of Rumours so there’s plenty of passive or non-fans who didn’t buy the album who would have bought a single. But if SYLM reached #11 long after its release then I can understand them wanting to just jump straight to the material on the next album. And I’m sure they’d have been excited by the prospect of the Rumours singles chances, no matter what they might say now.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 09-04-2023, 11:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Could you make a Madonna comparison here? Her first album had 4 singles. The first 2 singles were minor hits but the second 2 both landed in the top 10. The last single Borderline hit its peak in the summer of 1984. Her next studio Album Like A Virgin was being prepped for release. Her first album took an unexpected turn and started to chart major hit singles. The record company stopped releasing from her debut album to give breathing from for Like A Virgin that was being released in a few more months. From a fan's perspective this may not make sense. But the record company probably does not want to hurt the next album. You know you are very successful when this sort of thing happens.
Old 09-04-2023, 12:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thriller had 7 singles. Bad had 8 singles (I guess 9 in UK). Rumours could have far more than 4 singles.
Old 09-04-2023, 12:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
Thriller had 7 singles. Bad had 8 singles (I guess 9 in UK). Rumours could have far more than 4 singles.
Yes but the albums were 5 years apart. The Fleetwood Mac scenario had them start working on the next album when their previous album was still on the charts. The 80s were a different time too. Michael Jackson was a phenomenon which fueled album sales and single success. MTV 30 minute videos, clothes, dolls, merchandise. It was all marketing towards the phenomenon. No way Lindsey or the rest of the band would have wanted to become that.
Old 09-04-2023, 01:32 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
When did Say You Love Me hit its peak? It was realeased in June ‘76…..but did it hit the charts straight away? Go Your Own Way was released in December, so there’s a big enough gap for an additional single. And it’s not as if the Fleetwood Mac album hit the heights of Rumours so there’s plenty of passive or non-fans who didn’t buy the album who would have bought a single. But if SYLM reached #11 long after its release then I can understand them wanting to just jump straight to the material on the next album. And I’m sure they’d have been excited by the prospect of the Rumours singles chances, no matter what they might say now.
"Say You Love Me"entered the charts at #74 on July 4, 1976. It reached its peak of #11 on September 18, 1976 on its twelfth week on the chart and remained there for three consecutive weeks. It was still in the top 40 on October 22, 1976, but quickly plummeted soon after, with its final week on the chart being November 6th.
Old 09-04-2023, 01:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkAThinLine. View Post
"Say You Love Me"entered the charts at #74 on July 4, 1976. It reached its peak of #11 on September 18, 1976 on its twelfth week on the chart and remained there for three consecutive weeks. It was still in the top 40 on October 22, 1976, but quickly plummeted soon after, with its final week on the chart being November 6th.
Thanks for the info.
So it was riding high at the start of october. They’re prepping for the support of their new album with a single being readied for imminent release. Probably no opportunity or need for a further release from Fleetwood Mac album at that stage.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 09-04-2023, 05:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'm having a blond moment... what was the 4th single from White(hopefully not counting Warm Ways from England)?
Rhiannon
SYLM
Over My Head
?
I WAS counting Warm Ways. I thought it was released in UK and US.
Old 09-05-2023, 01:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
I WAS counting Warm Ways. I thought it was released in UK and US.
As much as I love THE QUEEN of FM, WW sounds so dated. I love playing keys along with it, but I require a Sugar Daddy infusion when I return from my WW coma.
Old 09-05-2023, 04:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
As much as I love THE QUEEN of FM, WW sounds so dated. I love playing keys along with it, but I require a Sugar Daddy infusion when I return from my WW coma.
Please don't hate me, but I can't help but ask... after reading who is THE QUEEN of FM.. then... then... THE GODDESS is Stevie Nicks?
Old 09-05-2023, 04:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
Please don't hate me, but I can't help but ask... after reading who is THE QUEEN of FM.. then... then... THE GODDESS is Stevie Nicks?
I believe you misspelled GOAT.