User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-22-2009, 04:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Blue Again Review

Buffalo News, 3/22/2009 http://www.buffalonews.com/entertain...ry/615603.html

The Mick Fleetwood Blues Band, “Blue Again” (SLG).

Though it is now emblematic of the dulcet tones of ’70s California pop, Fleetwood Mac was born a blues band in the latter ’60s, one whose influence was everywhere in the arenas and stadiums of ’70s rock. Originally, drummer Mick Fleetwood, bassist John McVie, and guitarists Peter Green and Jeremy Spencer sprung from the same soil that sprouted Led Zeppelin, Free and the Jeff Beck Group. Tunes like “Rattlesnake Shake,” “The Green Manalishi With the Two-Pronged Crown” and “Black Magic Woman” were vehicles for Green’s gorgeously understated solos, beneath which the Fleetwood-McVie rhythm section toiled like tireless journeymen, shoveling coal in the engine room for all they were worth. It’s that Fleetwood Mac that Mick Fleetwood celebrates with “Blue Again,” a live album that ably documents the fire and finesse of his touring band, led by another Mac alum, guitarist Rick Vito. The disc centers on songs Green wrote— “Looking For Somebody,” “Stop Messin’ Around,” “Rattlesnake Shake,” “Albatross” and the like —and is as much a tribute to Green as it is a paean to the music Fleetwood fell in love with as a teenager with a drum fetish. Nicely done. ★★★( J. M.)
Old 03-26-2009, 03:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Kinston Free Presshttp://www.kinston.com/entertainment...e_vatican.html

New CD

Mick Fleetwood Blues Band

Blue Again - Live

429 Records

4 stars out of 5

Mick Fleetwood's main claim to fame is his position as drummer for the touring soap opera known as Fleetwood Mac. His tasteful timekeeping can be heard on such FM radio staples as "Don't Stop Thinkin' About Tomorrow," "Gold Dust Woman" and "Big Love," along with a slew of others.

While Fleetwood Mac is now regarded as a hit machine for the baby boomer set, the band started out as a heavyweight contender in the British blues scene that gave us Led Zeppelin and The Rolling Stones.

Original Fleetwood Mac guitarist/vocalist Peter Green, who wrote most of the band's early hits - including "Oh Well," "Albatross" and "Black Magic Woman" (yep, they recorded it first) - led the band to the top of the late 1960s blues mountain, only to leave at the height of their success to join a religious cult.

After Green's exit, the remnants of the band recruited Christine McVie, Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks and rode off into the sunset of classic rock nirvana.

Thankfully, Mick Fleetwood has now recruited ex-Fleetwood Mac guitarist/vocalist Rick Vito to lead the Mick Fleetwood Blues Band, which accurately recreates the vibe of the original Fleetwood Mac vibe.

Smartly deciding to record the album live, the band rolls through a stellar selection of Vito originals and Peter Green-era Fleetwood Mac material. The performances are spirited, and they contain just the right mix of professionalism and grit.

Nobody will ever be able to replace Peter Green, but this set should whet the appetites of the uninitiated.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Here's my review.

I just finished listening to "Blue Again!" on my way to work this afternoon and here's what I have to say about it: PHENOMENAL!!!!!!

Keeping in mind that it is a live CD with all the little nuances that go with a live performance, I would say that this is a great disc. I spent the extra money and bought the UK version through Amazon UK. It's a double disc with the live CD and then four studio tracks. Rick covers 2 Peter Green songs, "Albatross" and "Supernatural", along with 2 of his own songs, 4 instrumentals in all and they are great. As far as the live CD is concerned, my only criticism is the Lenny and Mark need to be miked better because their backing vocals are not heard well. Mick does give a little extra "stadium" style drumming at the beginning, but I think that is from so many years of that type of performing and not in the smaller clubs or concert halls and also from the excitement that I'm sure he was feeling at actually being able to get the MFBB off the ground.

Overall I would say the CD is fantastic, a real tribute to the Peter Green era of FM, but not a copy or imitation of it. It's a 4 piece band only, no extra guitar or drums/percussion, horns or anything. Guitar, Bass, Keyboard, Drums and that's it. No frills, no over production. It's an up to date, modern version of classic Mac and great contributions from Rick as well. Mick and Rick produced it and Rick played every instrument on the bonus studio CD except for drums.

What else can I say? If you love classic Mac and appreciate Rick's contribution to Mac as well as his solo work, you will definitely enjoy "Blue Again!" I don't know if you need to invest in the UK version, but I did and thoroughly enjoy it!
Old 03-30-2009, 02:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'd also give this CD 4 1/2 stars out of 5!!!! Love it!!!!
Old 04-14-2009, 02:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The Province (Vancouver, BC), 4-14-09

http://www.theprovince.com/Entertain...764/story.html

THE MICK FLEETWOOD BLUES BAND

Blue Again (429)

Drummer Fleetwood revisits the days when Fleetwood Mac was a British blues band and guitarist Peter Green was its star. The star this time is Rick Vito, whose own songs on this live recording don't rival Green's but save the album from being purely nostalgia. B -- Tom Harrison
Old 04-14-2009, 05:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

"I Got A Hole In My Shoe" is awesome. Rick deserves credit for that track.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 04-18-2009, 02:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I ordered the European version so I could get the second disc, too. The four studio tracks -- done entirely by M & R -- are impressive ("Supernatural", cranked as high as your car's system can handle it, sounds & feels great when you're cruising the freeway), but all in all I prefer the live recording.

They're able to shift gears well throughout this performance, from steamy emotional stuff like "Love That Burns" and "Looking For Somebody" to the lighthearted fun of "Hole In My Shoe" and "Lucky Devil." I was caught off guard in "Shake Your Moneymaker" when Rick morphed into Elvis, complete with squealing females in the audience (it's probably been a while since Rick's had squealing females in the audience....) It was tremendously entertaining, and I'd love to see what got the ladies squealing...

One minor thing -- other than "Moneymaker", Rick doesn't seem all that comfortable talking with the audience here. This was early 2008 -- if you check out youtube vids from much later in the year, you'll see him having lots more fun with the audience, like the "I know this guy, his name is Mick..." schtick from Rattlesnake Shake, and the explanation of how Black Magic Woman became a big hit -- "but NOT for Fleetwood Mac..."

By the time they did the "RockPalast" show in Germany, Rick's interaction with the crowd was great, and all four were totally at ease and firing on all cylinders. That's a performance I'd really like to have on CD (or better yet, DVD). Plus they did "Black Crow Blues" -- a song I really love, with great harmonica from Mark. There's a fan's video of that RockPalast show here...

http://www.viddler.com/explore/rocklazy/videos/2/

...over half an hour of MFBB goodness, IMO sounding even better than they did in St. Louis, and that's saying a lot.

Damn, I can't wait to see what they have planned for this year!
Old 04-19-2009, 09:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Here's another Blue Again review, from the Chicago Sun-Times site:

BLUES-ROCK | Mick Fleetwood Blues Band, "Blue Again" (429i) There were three different Fleetwood Macs, plus various revival efforts. The first, co-founded in 1967 by drummer Mick Fleetwood, was a British blues-rock outfit with an uncanny knack for aping American originators and a guitarist, Peter Green, who had a tone and virtuosity that have never been duplicated. When Green and fellow axman Jeremy Spencer burned out, the band soldiered on in a more experimental vein. Then came the megamillion-selling group that I called Buckingham-Nicks because it bore little resemblance to the earlier incarnations.

Now drummer-bandleader Fleetwood is honoring the first -- and best -- Mac (sort of a 42nd anniversary celebration) with a new blues band fronted by guitarist-vocalist Rick Vito, who supplied the slide work on Bob Seger's "Like a Rock," backed Bonnie Raitt for many years and was in Fleetwood Mac from 1987-91. On "Blue Again," a live album recorded in February 2008 at the Sheldon Concert Hall in St. Louis, Vito proves a competent Green imitator-interpreter. The album contains several Green showcases, including "Rattlesnake Shake," "Stop Messin' Around," "Black Magic Woman" (no, Santana didn't create its megahit) and "Albatross," the hauntingly beautiful instrumental that was once ubiquitous on FM radio.

There's every reason to trash a project like this, sight unseen: It's artistically suspect, it can't be as good as the original, and what's the point? But these songs are enduring, and Fleetwood has assembled a quartet that, while a pale imitation of Mac No. 1, is better than most groups working today -- including the high-rent, low-inspiration Fleetwood Mac.

Jeff Johnson

http://www.suntimes.com/entertainmen...pins22.article
Old 04-22-2009, 11:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimer View Post
Here's another Blue Again review, from the Chicago Sun-Times site:

BLUES-ROCK | Mick Fleetwood Blues Band, "Blue Again" (429i) There were three different Fleetwood Macs, plus various revival efforts. The first, co-founded in 1967 by drummer Mick Fleetwood, was a British blues-rock outfit with an uncanny knack for aping American originators and a guitarist, Peter Green, who had a tone and virtuosity that have never been duplicated. When Green and fellow axman Jeremy Spencer burned out, the band soldiered on in a more experimental vein. Then came the megamillion-selling group that I called Buckingham-Nicks because it bore little resemblance to the earlier incarnations.

Now drummer-bandleader Fleetwood is honoring the first -- and best -- Mac (sort of a 42nd anniversary celebration) with a new blues band fronted by guitarist-vocalist Rick Vito, who supplied the slide work on Bob Seger's "Like a Rock," backed Bonnie Raitt for many years and was in Fleetwood Mac from 1987-91. On "Blue Again," a live album recorded in February 2008 at the Sheldon Concert Hall in St. Louis, Vito proves a competent Green imitator-interpreter. The album contains several Green showcases, including "Rattlesnake Shake," "Stop Messin' Around," "Black Magic Woman" (no, Santana didn't create its megahit) and "Albatross," the hauntingly beautiful instrumental that was once ubiquitous on FM radio.

There's every reason to trash a project like this, sight unseen: It's artistically suspect, it can't be as good as the original, and what's the point? But these songs are enduring, and Fleetwood has assembled a quartet that, while a pale imitation of Mac No. 1, is better than most groups working today -- including the high-rent, low-inspiration Fleetwood Mac.

Jeff Johnson

http://www.suntimes.com/entertainmen...pins22.article
Not a bad review overall, but I would take exception to the idea of Rick being a PG immitator. He's not trying to immitate PG. He's interpreting and honoring PG and his contribution to FM. It's not meant to be an immitation and it doesn't sound like one to me. Rick has always played with a similar tone to Peter's. He admits it himself. Peter is one of Rick's biggest inspirations, again by Rick's own admition. As Mick has also said, this isn't supposed to be an immitation of the original Mac, but a tribute, honoring that early history and bringing that music up to date and I think Rick has done that superbly.

I've had "Blue Again" in my car ever since it showed up and can't get enough!! I'm just like OldTimer, "I want my Mick Fleetwood Blues Band!!!!!!!!!!!!" I'm dying to see what they put out next. This is awesome and I look forward to more.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

Quote:
I ordered the European version so I could get the second disc, too. The four studio tracks -- done entirely by M & R -- are impressive ("Supernatural", cranked as high as your car's system can handle it, sounds & feels great when you're cruising the freeway), but all in all I prefer the live recording.

They're able to shift gears well throughout this performance, from steamy emotional stuff like "Love That Burns" and "Looking For Somebody" to the lighthearted fun of "Hole In My Shoe" and "Lucky Devil." I was caught off guard in "Shake Your Moneymaker" when Rick morphed into Elvis, complete with squealing females in the audience (it's probably been a while since Rick's had squealing females in the audience....) It was tremendously entertaining, and I'd love to see what got the ladies squealing...

One minor thing -- other than "Moneymaker", Rick doesn't seem all that comfortable talking with the audience here. This was early 2008 -- if you check out youtube vids from much later in the year, you'll see him having lots more fun with the audience, like the "I know this guy, his name is Mick..." schtick from Rattlesnake Shake, and the explanation of how Black Magic Woman became a big hit -- "but NOT for Fleetwood Mac..."

By the time they did the "RockPalast" show in Germany, Rick's interaction with the crowd was great, and all four were totally at ease and firing on all cylinders. That's a performance I'd really like to have on CD (or better yet, DVD). Plus they did "Black Crow Blues" -- a song I really love, with great harmonica from Mark. There's a fan's video of that RockPalast show here...

http://www.viddler.com/explore/rocklazy/videos/2/

...over half an hour of MFBB goodness, IMO sounding even better than they did in St. Louis, and that's saying a lot.

Damn, I can't wait to see what they have planned for this year!
Good for you OldTimer!! I looked at both discs (US and UK versions) and couldn't do without having the UK version. I treated myself to it and I'm glad I did.

I agree with you about the new version of "Supernatural"!! That is phenomenal!!! I may be close to blowing out the speakers in my car from playing that track alone!!

As far as Rick being comfortable talking to the audience, I think it's more the production than it is Rick. They cut out all the chatter and focused on the music. There was probably more chatter than actually made it to the CD, but I wouldn't know for sure since I wasn't at the show. A lot of live CD's cut out the audience banter in favor of more music from the actual show. I also can't imagine that what we got on the live CD was the entire set list. They did do "Albatross", "Oh Well" and a host of other tunes throughout the rest of the tour from what I've seen on Youtube. I think this was more of a 'taste' of what they were doing to whet our appettites and make us want more. And if that is in fact what they did, then they succeeded 100,000%!!!!!!!! At least for me.

By the way, do you (or does anyone for that matter) know if Mick will be doing any more Barnes and Noble signings of the CD's as the "Unleashed" tour continues? Being here in the SF Bay Area, I can't imagine there not being one but I've looked on the Barnes and Noble website and can't find anything at all. I've tried various general internet searches too and can't find anything except publicity for the NY date back in March. Any help on that would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 04-25-2009, 01:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I agree with you about the new version of "Supernatural"!! That is phenomenal!!! I may be close to blowing out the speakers in my car from playing that track alone!!
So, if two vehicles pass on I-5, both of them with Rick's pure, powerful notes of "Supernatural" shattering glass as they go ----- I'll be sure to wave!

I think Mick's NY B&N appearance was a singular event, since Blue Again had just had its US release, and the Unleashed tour was still generating good publicity back then. I don't forsee any more, but we'll see -- he's always got a few new tricks up his sleeve.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

Quote:
So, if two vehicles pass on I-5, both of them with Rick's pure, powerful notes of "Supernatural" shattering glass as they go ----- I'll be sure to wave!

I think Mick's NY B&N appearance was a singular event, since Blue Again had just had its US release, and the Unleashed tour was still generating good publicity back then. I don't forsee any more, but we'll see -- he's always got a few new tricks up his sleeve.
I'll wave too!!! I'll be headed southbound in my Chevy SUV!!

I'm seriously hoping for him to do something here in the Bay Area! I'd line up for it, no doubt. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Is it just me too or does Mick seem to really be having a great time behind the drums on that CD? Also, does La Mer D'Amour sound like it could have come from a "Then Play On" session or am I just a little insane?
Old 09-11-2009, 01:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hour.ca, Ottawa

http://www.hour.ca/music/spin.aspx?iIDDisque=5616

September 10th, 2009
The Mick Fleetwood Blues Band - (Tall Man Records/SLG/429 Records)

Blue Again
BB Burnett

When The Mac isn't packing arenas, drummer Mick Fleetwood tours nonstop with his other band, The Mick Fleetwood Blues Band. "I've been called a pop star and a rock star, yet in my inner heart I will always be part bluesman," says Mick. And he's true to his word. This band, with onetime Mac vocalist and guitarist Rick Vito, cranks out some terrific four-on-the-floor blues, as well as moody atmospheric numbers by Peter Green, such as Looking for Somebody and Black Magic Woman (a whopping seven songs on this disc are penned by original Fleetwood Mac band member Green).
Old 09-11-2009, 02:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks Michele!

That reviewer is just now reviewing the Blue Again CD? It's been out (and in my car's CD player) since March!

However, the DVD of that great St. Louis concert is set for release October 6th. Can't wait!!!!
http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/...Blue+Again.htm