User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
I'm not entirely convinced that is Lindsey playing on the pre-show music. It's just too spare and straightforward. I think IF Lindsey ever revisits old songs, he would either produce them heavily or completely redo the song structure, e.g. "Go Insane" and "Big Love." I can't help but suspect that some talented unknown put out a cd full of these acoustic FM covers.
It's 100% Lindsey's guitar work. In fact, BTLH and DOR are just the instrumental tracks from those two songs. His acoustic work is so unique, and not easily confused with any other musician, so I can say with confidence the new version of Stephanie was definitely him as well.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Sydney View Post
Did the American and European concerts start with an audio track of cricket noises before the lights went down too? It was a bizarre way to start the show. The volume was so loud that it almost sounded like a cacophony of cicadas (for the Aussies out there who know what I’m talking about) which felt like a nicely localised nod.
Yes, the American shows start with the crickets too. It does get turned up very loud and I agree, it was sort of eerie for a few seconds. People around me complained.

Quote:
I was shocked by how different the performance of ‘Storms’ was. I don’t know what happened to Stevie on the Tuesday night but something in those lyrics must have resonated with her because she performed the song in such a different way. Instead of singing in her usual concert voice, it flipped into a scratchy tone not unlike ‘Rock A Little (Go Ahead Lily)’ and the pathos of the song seemed so much more tangible. Compared to the (still excellent) performance the night before, it felt like a completely different song. Stevie wore a different costume for ‘Silver Springs’, a black jacket with a white fur collar, and her delivery of the final section of that song was decidedly more impassioned too.
How awesome! Would love to have heard this version of "Storms" and the costume change sounds cool too!

Quote:
Fleetwood Mac received an incredible reception from the Sydney audiences on both nights. It was a wonderful atmosphere to be a part of; to hear the collective sigh at the opening strains of ‘Sara’ and the shrieks of excitement when ‘Stand Back’ kicks into gear, and to see the entire arena on their feet for ‘Go Your Own Way’ was fairly spectacular. After having made such a strong connection with the band’s music over my lifetime, I felt blessed to have finally had a shared experience with them in concert. We are all so lucky to have this amazing band still performing and helping us to create new memories to familiar songs. There are a lot of fanbases out there who cannot boast that.

x
Thanks for sharing your very well written and heartfelt review. I couldn't agree with your ending sentiments more.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
It's 100% Lindsey's guitar work. In fact, BTLH and DOR are just the instrumental tracks from those two songs. His acoustic work is so unique, and not easily confused with any other musician, so I can say with confidence the new version of Stephanie was definitely him as well.
I'm not saying with certainty that it's not Lindsey... I just suspect that it isn't because it's just not his style to do something this low-key. And what's the point? I would find it hard to believe that he would re-arrange and re-record all of these songs (in multi-track, no less) just for the pre-show soundtrack.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:25 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
They played a new version of Stephanie, DOR, and BTLH over the P.A. prior to our shows here in the US.
Prior to the Glasgow show, Red Rover, Stephanie and some others I can't remember were played over the PA, At first I thought it was Lindsey's tech checking all his guitars.....sounded beautiful
Old 12-09-2009, 11:57 AM
Senior Ledgie

Chris Sydney, I LOVED your review! And what amazing pictures, some are just stunning. I've been missing coming to the Ledge and finding reviews/audio/pictures of the prior evenings concerts. Thanks for supplying us in the US with a nice dose or FM

Also, Lindsey had some acoustic versions of songs playing before his GOS concerts, so I just figured it was him performing some different renditions of the songs (such as BTLH and Stephanie). He had some other awesome songs too, such as Rudy Can't Fail by the Clash (one of my fave songs ever!)

I really wish I could get my hands on a copy of those acoustic versions. I want to walk down the aisle to either an acoustic BTLH (or maybe I'll just use Stephanie).
Old 12-09-2009, 01:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'm not saying with certainty that it's not Lindsey... I just suspect that it isn't because it's just not his style to do something this low-key. And what's the point? I would find it hard to believe that he would re-arrange and re-record all of these songs (in multi-track, no less) just for the pre-show soundtrack.
I think the whole UTS phase of his life was low-key. Relatively speaking. Since they are acoustic versions of his solo songs too, I would be surprised if a third party did them. If it was just FM songs that would be different. And we'd hear about it like the Camper Van Beethoven stuff or the FM Legacy tribute CD.

Since there are acoustic versions of little known LB songs playing before both FM and Lindsey shows, I don't think a third party could have done them. Well . . .not unless Ray Lindsay left specifically in order to give himself more time to record these gems and Lindsey is just showcasing his work. Ha!

Lindsey had a Youtube video where he was playing one of his songs in his hotel room while traveling during a tour. Just him and his guitar, sitting by the bed. Maybe these acoustic versions were done during a similar kind of down time. I am shocked about SOTM though.

Michele
Old 12-09-2009, 01:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Oh, I also took my camera on Monday night and am glad I did as I ended up with some great shots.
Your pictures are amazing and the way you used black and white, so stark and creative. It reminded me of an old Life magazine spread. Thanks so much for these and the review.

Michele
Old 12-09-2009, 01:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
There appears to be far less tension on this tour than the ‘Say You Will’ tour. We all know the ‘Sara’ hug is choreographed and Mick says more or less the same poignant platitudes every night, but the whole show exudes a warmth and if not a connectedness then a mutual respect for what the four members achieved together.
For me, although I read reviews of SYW shows where they seemed distanced and strained, I never saw that. In fact, some nights (like Reno before and after the fight) Stevie and Lindsey particularly seemed amazingly close. Of course, Mick always seems to have a love affair going with everyone. All 3 of the others. He used to kiss Lindsey during some SYW tour introductions.

However, what I saw on this tour that I never saw on the SYW tour is John and Lindsey playing in such close proximity to one another again. Yes, Lindsey did have his thing where he would go and hug and pull on John every night of the SYW tour, but I didn't see them sharing a musical vibe. I didn't see that on the Dance tour or on the SYW tour, but they did it during the Mirage tour and now I see it again this year.

You captured it in one of your photos and I think that's wonderful. It makes them feel like a band to me. During the first part of the tour, John would give Lindsey a nod at the end of Oh Well. Now, they communicate silently during songs and much more frequently. I think it displays both the connection and the mutual respect that you mentioned. I like seeing it.

Now, Dee first noticed John reacting negatively during one of Lindsey's bows and speeches and so then I noticed it too and John still does do this -- at least he did it as recently as last month. He and Stevie have a joint thing going on actually during that one part of the show. But beyond that they all seem bonded. Maybe it's a bond born of lots of rote and practice, rather than emotion, but it works for me as feeling, rather than routine.

Michele
Old 12-09-2009, 02:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I think the whole UTS phase of his life was low-key. Relatively speaking. Since they are acoustic versions of his solo songs too, I would be surprised if a third party did them. If it was just FM songs that would be different. And we'd hear about it like the Camper Van Beethoven stuff or the FM Legacy tribute CD.

Since there are acoustic versions of little known LB songs playing before both FM and Lindsey shows, I don't think a third party could have done them. Well . . .not unless Ray Lindsay left specifically in order to give himself more time to record these gems and Lindsey is just showcasing his work. Ha!

Lindsey had a Youtube video where he was playing one of his songs in his hotel room while traveling during a tour. Just him and his guitar, sitting by the bed. Maybe these acoustic versions were done during a similar kind of down time. I am shocked about SOTM though.

Michele
See, I believe the opposite is true- that the deeper/more obscure the track, the more likely it was recorded by a fan. I would imagine that if Lindsey wanted to re-interpret old songs acoustically, he would apply the following criteria: 1) he personally loved the song and felt it merited re-interpretation, 2) he wrote the song. So it is plausible that he would revisit his older songs with FM and solo. But I think the red herrings here are SOTM and "Destiny Rules," which I distinctly remember hearing several times before the show. I don't think Lindsey was sitting on his chaise lounge one day and thinking about how he needed to re-visit those obscure, under-appreciated Stevie songs. Only a fan of Stevie would think something like that! I just don't think there is a place anywhere in his heart that can be even remotely sentimental about any songs written by Stevie.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn View Post
That's so F**KIN awesome man! You know I wish I could be there with you. Wow seeing the Mac in New Zealand. My hats off to you my friend!
Well, as Lindsey would say, it's "not too late." Book it! Book it!
Old 12-09-2009, 02:38 PM
Ledgie

Thanks for the kind welcome, everyone! I'm glad you enjoyed my ramblings. I'm quite pleased with some of the photos too. I want to get the second one in my first post blown up and framed. It is such a quintessential Stevie image to me.

x
Old 12-09-2009, 05:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

this may be the most beautiful pic EVER...i may have to steal it
thanks so much for delurking
interesting comment you mentioned about Storms
it's definitely come a LONG way from the first night she started doing it
and the RAL comparison yeeeeeeeeeah i love RAL

this dude has some pics from a few shows
http://twitpic.com/photos/coxys_opinions

i hope he doesn't hang out here and mind me posting his link here
but that HUG pic is spectacular

Last edited by StreetAngel86; 12-09-2009 at 07:14 PM.. Reason: added a linky
Old 12-09-2009, 07:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I just don't think there is a place anywhere in his heart that can be even remotely sentimental about any songs written by Stevie.
I don't think he did it for sentimental reasons. I think he probably did it when he was fiddling around with the live arrangements of Beautiful Child and Destiny Rules for the SYW tour. Just like he has changed his guitar work on Gold Dust Woman this tour, I think he has played with the guitar work for the other songs too. Not because he loves them, but because he's looking for ways to bring something new to them -- which is what he did with the acoustic version of Gypsy for AHI.

Which is what makes Stephanie and SOTM so exciting. It suggests to me that FM is/was thinking of doing those songs live.

Michele
Old 12-09-2009, 08:28 PM
Senior Ledgie

Ok, cool. Half an hour support act is a-ok with me. I CAN’T WAIT TO SEE THEM!!!! This time next week we’ll be leaving our hotel room in Brisbane…the day after the show…probably very deflated but hopefully extremely happy.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

On Monday night I saw Fleetwood Mac live at the Acer Arena, and… wow. Mick Fleetwood and John McVie are just a fantastic rhythm section, and Fleetwood’s drum solo was absolutely captivating.

Meanwhile, Stevie Nicks’ voice, beauty and ethereal majesty continue to captivate even now. “Gold Dust Woman” is certainly a highlight in that regard.

But if you’re looking for a guitarist who is both unique and totally in-control of his instrument, you can’t go past Lindsey Buckingham. He knows when to hold back and when to let loose, and those solos (particularly on “I’m So Afraid”) are both raw, powerful and stunning to behold. Unbelievable.

Obviously Christine McVie’s songs were never going to be a big feature of the show, and her presence is missed on “Say You Love Me” and, to a lesser extent, on “Don’t Stop” as well, but putting that aside, the setlist was just totally satisfying. With tracks like “I Know I’m Not Wrong”, “Silver Springs” and “Oh Well” getting a look-in, even relatively obscure songs were able to get their moment to shine.

Will there be a new album? One can only hope. In the meantime, the “Unleashed” tour is enough to satisfy even the most anal of hardcore fans.

http://www.thewhimwham.com/2009/12/10/fleetwood-mac/