The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-17-2017, 06:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't mind all the bellyaching about Stevie...
All the blame landing at the poor woman's doorstep..

But I do hope all the negativity turns full circle when they record their last Album and she's on it.
And in fact the first Single is a Stevie song.
Then she should be thanked profoundly and her feet should be kissed.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
In fact I haven't said that you in particular have insulted anyone (at least from what I've seen since I'm not always here)
I just said that there are many ways to disagree and there have been instances in the past in which disagreements weren't expressed in a healthy way. It's only normal that people were frustrated by this just like you are frustrated by the musical situation.
There are many people here who have said worst things about Stevie than me, yet my post seems the most appropriate to set an example. You have quoted me maybe four times since I joined this board. None of them have been to talk or discuss a topic. It's ok, I don't mind but I think you could change your target once in a while.

Quote:
I obviously can't know if you're a bad leader, but it seems you have a dysfunctional work place. Of course there are many different types of leadership and none is the best in absolute terms, but it rather depends on the job, the project in question and both the personality and other qualities of the leader and of the different people involved, hoewever creative environments usually suffer from traditional types of leaderships "Top-Down".

I've personally never believed in the concept that "money can buy everything" and "money can buy talent"; money can buy a "service" or a "performance" but can't buy ideas.
Maybe I live in a dysfunctional country because I'm not the only one.

Money can buy talent that make people without talent look talented. It's the oldest trick in the book.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymaycen View Post
Beyond happy that Nicks won't be on this....McVie and Buckingham are amazing. If they need a third voice...any 3rd grader with no vocal training could out do Nicks
But we're not even getting a second voice according to the new single - where are the harmonies?

I see this thread has descended into the usual pro/anti Stevie stuff name calling.

I don't hate Stevie at all and my post wasn't targeted at her - I love her solo work and am thankful for what she has contributed to the band.

I just remember going to my first ever Fleetwood Mac concert - 8th June 2015, Genting Arena, Birmingham. I believe James89 was at the same one. The optimism and euphoria seeing the full band back together, and now this situation. So, so sad.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by button-lip View Post
There are many people here who have said worst things about Stevie than me, yet my post seems the most appropriate to set an example. You have quoted me maybe four times since I joined this board. None of them have been to talk or discuss a topic. It's ok, I don't mind but I think you could change your target once in a while.
I don't understand what you mean with "set an example"?
I talk online with quite a few people everyday on this board and out and I don't keep track of all of them, so I don't remember these other instances you are talking about; also I can see that you joined exactly a month ago so I don't understand why you feel targeted by the fact that I quoted you four times since then.
The purpose of forums is that of confronting yourself with other people so you should expect other people to answer your posts with a different point of view.
Quote:
Maybe I live in a dysfunctional country because I'm not the only one.

Money can buy talent that make people without talent look talented. It's the oldest trick in the book.
That is possible, I actually live in a country that promotes dysfunctional working situations too, but that doesn't mean that it's right.

It's impossible to make people without talent look talented at least on the long run in my honest opinion, however I guess we just have to agree to disagree on the matter.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientQueen View Post
The big hit from Tango was "Little Lies", and while the live version of Big Love is certainly iconic, the album track/single was a headscratcher and not much more back then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
This post is extremely amusing because this is entirely your opinion on things which you're entitled to but you're acting as if it's fact. Clearly there's plenty of people who like the song or just think it's okay and don't have the same feelings about it as you do. I'm kind of baffled by why you would say Big Love wasn't a hit. Even my dad remembers that song from the radio back then and he never listened to that type of music much.
And Lindsey is a musician with over four decades of experience and tons and tons of critical acclaim. While I may also not love everything he does in more recent years, to say he "obviously has no clue" what he's doing is ridiculous.
Lot's of people bought Big Love, that does not make it memorable or really good. It sounded dated after 3 months. I the context of TITN success, Big Love was just a starter.
I'm glad that your father remembers that one, but how is that more relevant than what I wrote?

Last edited by AncientQueen; 04-17-2017 at 10:33 AM..
Old 04-17-2017, 10:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I can't buy into all this manufactured drama.
They're all either pushing 70 or past 70 -- I'm sure they all feel no obligation to anything or anyone at this point. And good for them.
Christine did a Fleetwood Mac album w/o Stevie and Lindsey (Time), Stevie and Christine did one w/o Lindsey, Lindsey and Stevie did one w/o Christine.
So I don't see this as a negative.
The music on the Buckingham McVie album by all reports, is really strong and innovative.
I would have hated to have another situation like Tango In The Night were the bulk of the great songs are from Lindsey and Christine, and Stevie phones in 3 lackluster songs.

Her heart wasn't in it for whatever reason, so -- so be it.
It's probably a healthier project when all three singers start and build the album together from the ground up; rather than Stevie walk in to an almost completed album.

She just did two of what I consider to be some of the strongest albums of her entire career.
Maybe she didn't have enough strong songs to offer; or maybe she just didn't want to obligate herself to studio time and sacrifice the fun of a tour.

But really, who cares? When you're their age, I'm not sure you really belabor drama. You do what you want when you want it -- and it's their gig, not ours, so I'm not going to judge.

Just happy that Lindsey is steering the ship again and releasing more new music.
Old 04-17-2017, 02:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I wish Buckingham's vision of a Mac double album had come to fruition. What a great way to go out.

As it is, yes they put this out as a duets album but its only 10 songs. I think they've said they had a lot more in the works. My hope is that they pushed this out as a duets album because they both really wanted to get the music out, but that the additional songs could form the basis of a Mac album once Nicks tires of her solo phase (Nicks always tires of one then goes back to the other, bouncing from band to solo and back again and again).
Old 04-17-2017, 02:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlookdown View Post
Her heart wasn't in it for whatever reason, so -- so be it.
It's probably a healthier project when all three singers start and build the album together from the ground up; rather than Stevie walk in to an almost completed album.

She just did two of what I consider to be some of the strongest albums of her entire career.
Maybe she didn't have enough strong songs to offer; or maybe she just didn't want to obligate herself to studio time and sacrifice the fun of a tour.
I doubt its a case of not having strong songs. I think its def a case of she wanted her "two years off" as she said in a recent interview, so she didn't want to jump right into the studio with Mac after their last tour. This is why I think she may be open to recording with them next year (I hope).
Old 04-17-2017, 04:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlookdown View Post
Christine did a Fleetwood Mac album w/o Stevie and Lindsey (Time)
Actually, she did six albums without Stevie and Lindsey (Future Games, Bare Trees, Penguin, Mystery To Me, Heroes Are Hard To Find, and Time), not including her session work (Mr. Wonderful/English Rose/Pious Bird Of Good Omen, Then Play On, Kiln House, The Original Fleetwood Mac, and Say You Will).

I don't have an issue with Stevie not participating, I just have an issue with them not calling it what it really is, because it's much more of a Fleetwood Mac album than Say You Will.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 04-17-2017, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Actually, she did six albums without Stevie and Lindsey (Future Games, Bare Trees, Penguin, Mystery To Me, Heroes Are Hard To Find, and Time), not including her session work (Mr. Wonderful/English Rose/Pious Bird Of Good Omen, Then Play On, Kiln House, The Original Fleetwood Mac, and Say You Will).

I don't have an issue with Stevie not participating, I just have an issue with them not calling it what it really is, because it's much more of a Fleetwood Mac album than Say You Will.
I love her work on the above bolded!! She's been on just about everything.

sans Live in Boston, EP...
Old 04-17-2017, 06:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I love her work on the above bolded!! She's been on just about everything.

sans Live in Boston, EP...
Really, it was just Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac, Fleetwood Mac In Chicago (which wasn't intended for release), the Boston Tea Party set, Live In Boston, and EP.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 04-17-2017, 07:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientQueen View Post
Lot's of people bought Big Love, that does not make it memorable or really good. It sounded dated after 3 months. I the context of TITN success, Big Love was just a starter.
I'm glad that your father remembers that one, but how is that more relevant than what I wrote?
Because that shows it was a hit to some extent? If it was played enough on the radio for someone who never listened to that genre much to remember it sure seems to me that it did well. I don't know what's your idea of a hit, obviously Little Lies was even bigger and more enduring, he also remembers that as well, but the way you said Big Love wasn't a hit I don't think is true. It's entirely your opinion if you think it's not good or if it sounds dated, and there are probably plenty who agree with you but there's also people who don't and who really like that song and who like 80s music and their opinion isn't worth any less than yours.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
Honestly Stevie has always only said good things about Christine and Christine has always only said good things about Stevie too, so I don't believe the current situation has anything to do with an alleged rivalry between them at all; furthermore after their reunion Stevie openly expressed the desire to have Christine play a song with her so I don't think they've never collaborated because she didn't want to. She's also never collaborated with John from what I remember, so do we have to assume that it's because they hate each other too?
Probably it has more to do with the fact that either their working or musical styles don't match very well, or possibly both.
"10 years ago, she (Stevie) really had her feet on the ground and a great sense of humor. But, now, she seems to have developed, somehow, her own FANTASY WORLD, which I'm not a part of. We don't socialize much."---Christine McVie, Rolling Stone, 1984
Old 04-17-2017, 09:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by button-lip View Post
sorry you felt targeted, i know what you mean and have noticed that tendency with certain board members.

you have been unbelievable, funny and balanced breath of fresh air on this board and i hope you know how much most members love having you here!

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 04-18-2017, 02:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
Because that shows it was a hit to some extent? If it was played enough on the radio for someone who never listened to that genre much to remember it sure seems to me that it did well. I don't know what's your idea of a hit, obviously Little Lies was even bigger and more enduring, he also remembers that as well, but the way you said Big Love wasn't a hit I don't think is true. It's entirely your opinion if you think it's not good or if it sounds dated, and there are probably plenty who agree with you but there's also people who don't and who really like that song and who like 80s music and their opinion isn't worth any less than yours.
I was actually there, a longtime fan who bought TiTN the day it came out. Talked about it with friends and other fans, heard opinions, formed my own. Saw the charts, peoples reaction to the video, compared it with the reactions to the other FM singles. It was IMPORTANT to me. So honestly, I am pretty sure that my opinion is more relevant than some random dude's.