The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-07-2017, 06:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I did have a similar epiphany when listening to the TANGO remaster last week. The album is lovely and polished and the tunes are pure pop. Christine is givng us classic perfecly crafted songs and Linds is sprinking 80s-synth-tribalness all over it. But Stevie is the only one bringing viable emotion to the tracks. LInds has nothing close to emotion compared to songs live "Save me a place" "Book of Love" or "I'm so afriad" -- and while "LIttle Lies" and "Everywhere" are amazing, they dont have the sorrow and sweetness of "Over & Over" & "Songbird". Stevie might be singing her vocals in a burbling and scattered manner —*but you can at least feel the emotion. And a lot of it too. And that really helped make Tango the wonderful album that it is.

and
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
I maintain that Stevie, as addled and desperate as she was at the time, brought heart to the Tango album, which without her blood and guts, would have been overly synthesised and slick. The stripped back "When I See You Again", flaws and all, helps to balance proceedings - it is in its own way, an unwitting masterstroke, exposing Stevie as devastated and devoid of hope.
I remember her mentioning the trick she played on Lindsey regarding the coda but I have recently been wondering if indeed she had even recorded a vocal for this section? Given the situation, Lindsey may have undertaken the vocal out of necessity. I have heard a poor quality outtake that features Stevie during the fade but it appears to be fan-made with just the opening line of "when I see you again" looped (ie not a harmony vocal).
Old 04-07-2017, 07:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by deribish View Post
I did have a similar epiphany when listening to the TANGO remaster last week. The album is lovely and polished and the tunes are pure pop. Christine is givng us classic perfecly crafted songs and Linds is sprinking 80s-synth-tribalness all over it. But Stevie is the only one bringing viable emotion to the tracks. LInds has nothing close to emotion compared to songs live "Save me a place" "Book of Love" or "I'm so afriad" -- and while "LIttle Lies" and "Everywhere" are amazing, they dont have the sorrow and sweetness of "Over & Over" & "Songbird". Stevie might be singing her vocals in a burbling and scattered manner —*but you can at least feel the emotion. And a lot of it too. And that really helped make Tango the wonderful album that it is.

and
Hence why the whole universe is bummed that she will not be participating in this new record...

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by button-lip View Post
And yes, I also even love Family Man. Just because of the message, of what Lindsey wanted to become, and he succeeded.
I put Family Man in the same category as Sister Honey - so bad they're fun.
Old 04-07-2017, 12:25 PM

I'm never speaking to any of you again!!

And I hope Stevie doesn't either!!
Old 04-07-2017, 02:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinker12 View Post
I put Family Man in the same category as Sister Honey - so bad they're fun.
I know the feeling. It's the same for me with "When I see you again".
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 04-07-2017, 04:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

As always, this stuff is subjective, but IMO the lyrics are horrible and her singing is absolute garbage. As was already stated, the "Wassamatta BAYBAYYY" and "she stares at the stairs" lines just kill any potential for this song to be anything but a laugh (or cringe) for me.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Lindsey's vocals save what could have been the worst Fleetwood Mac song ever.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street_Dreamer View Post
Lindsey's vocals save what could have been the worst Fleetwood Mac song ever.
Yes, Lindsey's vocals are dreaming on this. I definitely agree with you.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel75 View Post
Yes, Lindsey's vocals are dreaming on this. I definitely agree with you.
On another thread we spoke about Lindsey's vocals. Seven Wonders was recorded before Stevie went to Betty Ford. Is it possible the Lindsey part was Lindsey had her vocal track (from the demo sent to them) and since she was in rehab he did not have much to work with and he added his vocals to the track. I see that as completely plausible. I see him lifting her vocal and creating the song around it.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I wanted to pay a little tribute to this tortured song. (because I've been listening to the re-master deluxe version that was just released...)

Next time you listen to WISYA, hear the "Fleetwood Mac" in it.
Listen to the guitar and keyboards, then combine the backing vocals by Buckingham/McVie. Notice how much contrast they have with this scorned and wounded woman. The sound off angels, as Stevie tries to figure out why she can't make it with the one who owns her heart. andddd (Who just happens to be singing 'beautifully' with a tall blonde british woman.)

Try to listen to it in this manner. Why? because Stevie Nicks nails what this song is about. You may not like her tone or timbre, but it accurately depicts the setting.

When you understand it that way, you can then appreciate the delicate voices, keyboards, and guitar that give way to a chamber of living angst.

............. well at least there is a dream left....

Were you drunk when you typed this?! There really there is some redeeming value to this song. First and foremost, it's the voice and emotion of the scorned woman. Next, it's the magic of FM that makes it work. But really, the band had to see something in this recording?!!! I kinda get it....I've had a few beers, so maybe it's me?!!!
Old 04-07-2017, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd View Post
Were you drunk when you typed this?! There really there is some redeeming value to this song. First and foremost, it's the voice and emotion of the scorned woman. Next, it's the magic of FM that makes it work. But really, the band had to see something in this recording?!!! I kinda get it....I've had a few beers, so maybe it's me?!!!
Haha, no. I've always loved this song and it's placement on the album. I was listening to the re-master last night. If you just listen to it for what the song is about, I think you can understand the output of the material.
Old 04-07-2017, 06:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Haha, no. I've always loved this song and it's placement on the album. I was listening to the re-master last night. If you just listen to it for what the song is about, I think you can understand the output of the material.
And I always thought you were so circa '83 and before when it came to the GREAT STEVIE NICKS! Every once in awhile she dropped a little bomb on you afterwards?!
Old 04-07-2017, 07:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I wonder what the context was for this song. When she wrote it that is.

I wish it had been the album closer.
Old 04-08-2017, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
I wonder what the context was for this song. When she wrote it that is.

I wish it had been the album closer.
Let's not go crazy.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

In 87 when I bought the album on cassette I kept flipping and fast forwarding between WISYA and 7W. WISYA has always fascinated me. I hear beauty in it and something mysterious, the production is almost avante garde. I wish she/they had done more like it.