The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

From what I've read about her and what I've seen, I think she's probably lesbian or bisexual, turned to religion to fill some type of emptiness in her life, and has been struggling with the religion vs. gay thing. I call it the Mr. Garrison complex (South Park fans should get the reference). It's like they're working so hard to deny their sexual orientation that they become militant against it.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 03-20-2013, 10:23 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefox4000 View Post
Never heard of her.....but Her ignorance abounds.

Mick
she was having a break down why is it there is no compassion for mental health issues ... remember the fun everyone had with Britney Spears

Last edited by olive; 03-20-2013 at 10:50 AM..
Old 03-20-2013, 11:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Fallout.

Michelle Shocked anti-gay rant triggers Evanston cancellation
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...rriage-website

Evanston's SPACE has canceled singer Michelle Shocked's May 5 performance at the club following reports of her anti-gay rant from a San Francisco stage Sunday night.

“After speaking with the promoter of that show about the nature of the remarks, it's clear that this is no longer a show we're willing to put our name on,” the club announced on its website and Facebook page Monday, offering refunds to ticket-holders.

Reports from Sunday’s show at San Francisco’s Yoshi’s say Shocked, a born-again Christian, railed against gay marriage and told the crowd, “You can go on Twitter and say, ‘Michelle Shocked says God hates (anti-gay slur).’” The Twittersphere reacted accordingly.

SPACE general manager/talent buyer Jake Samuels, who had booked Shocked previously without incident, said he confirmed with the San Francisco promoter that Shocked’s comments were “ugly in nature and not meant to be artistic or satirical in any way ... It wasn’t a very hard decision for us.”

SPACE was not alone in its action. All nine of Shocked’s pre-SPACE concerts listed on her website have been canceled, according to the venues’ websites.

This turn of events surprised many Shocked fans, who have viewed her as being more than a bit left of center since her 1988 debut album “Short Sharp Shocked.”

“We’ve had Michelle four times in the past four years,” Samuels said. “I’ve never had an incident with her before. She’s given great shows. She always sells out. The audience loves her."

The singer’s most recent tweet came Sunday: "Truth is leading to painful confrontation."
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 03-20-2013, 11:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by olive View Post
she was having a break down why is it there is no compassion for mental health issues ... remember the fun everyone had with Britney Spears
Yeah, because clearly Fleetwood Mac fans have never had compassion for the mentally ill.

THE Stephen Hopkins

Last edited by SteveMacD; 03-20-2013 at 11:05 AM..
Old 03-20-2013, 11:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by olive View Post
Yeah, but Brittany just did harm to herself... she never said/did anything hateful to another person/group of people.

This particular situation is way more akin to the tirades Mel Gibson went on against Jews.

I, for one, don't really care what this lady says. For one, I have no idea who she is. But more than anything, her statement is just plain archaic & out of step with the way the majority of the civilized world feels.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post
I don't want to get anything started either, but I'll point you in the right direction... It's in Leviticus ch 18 and ch 20.
Leviticus also says this...

Leviticus 11:9
“These you may eat, of all that are in the waters. Everything in the waters that has fins and scales, whether in the seas or in the rivers, you may eat.

Leviticus 11:10
But anything in the seas or the rivers that has not fins and scales, of the swarming creatures in the waters and of the living creatures that are in the waters, is detestable to you.

Somebody better tell the Red Lobster chain.

The first thing I would ask this Michelle person (whoever she is) is when is she going to rant about all the crab-eaters in the world. Or is it just about picking and choosing pieces and parts that you like from that book?
Old 03-20-2013, 01:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Bible verses and quotes aside, this incident is surprising to many.

For those who don't know, Michelle Shocked has been around for a couple decades. Her music is an often-pleasant blend of folk, rock and funk with a heavy guitar emphasis. She's got some great songs. I think of her as almost like a female Lyle Lovett, musically.

I was first exposed to Michelle by lesbian friends back in the 90s. She has a *huge* lesbian following, and for a while, was in a lesbian relationship. Even before Michelle 'came out' most people assumed she was gay anyway.

And that's why this is so weird.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 03-20-2013, 01:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michelle_Shocked
Hmm, and she was married for 12 years.

I guess I knew they weren't together anymore, because I was relaying my story, privately, to an acquaintance of mine, who was thinking of joining her touring band. He told me that he had heard the horror stories, and that "Bart" was no longer in the picture.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Very surprised to hear about this. Kinda always thought that she was into chicks and had a huge follwoing...and either way-more effing power to her. But now she wants to change her ways and destroy all her past, and apparently her future. Sad. I see nothing that screams "mental health" issues. Girl is a hate spewing born again. Whatever. Had forgotten about her until I heard this...will do so again soon.

Quote:
while it does say something about being gay
Nothing like someone saying that a certain "something" is in Bible, not being able to quote it...but then going on and on about how it should be interpreted.
Who & how we choose to love and screw, who and how we choose to worship...Isn't it enough that we have that choice?

LMFAO about the Red Lobster chain.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Old 03-22-2013, 12:36 PM
markolas
This message has been deleted by markolas.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Now she's talking about it on CNN. She's sorry. She 'made a mistake'.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/sho...e-comments.cnn
Old 04-02-2013, 10:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I find this very surprising, but, many people change their opinions numerous times thoughout this journey we call "life".

I will tell you that I attended a Michelle Shocked concert in 1989 after the release of her album "Short Sharp Shocked". The concert was at an old club called "Liberty Lunch" in Austin, Texas. The place was full of lesbians. Miss Shocked, at that time, proceeded to go into a 5 minute rant on GAY RIGHTS and the DISCRIMINATION OF GAY PEOPLE. Let's just say, her speech at the concert (20 years ago) was very PRO GAY. So much that I just assumed she was a lesbian. I never questioned it. At that time, she was all about tolerance and inclusion for ALL PEOPLE. Her message was pro peace and acceptance.

My, how her tune has changed. Not a big deal, I would just think that some EXTREME RIGHT WING CONSERVATIVE CHRISTIANS got a hold of her and now she's went to the other extreme. PEOPLE WHO LIVE THEIR LIVES MOVING FROM EXTREME TO EXTREME are never happy. Honey, can't you find a happy medium?

Last edited by WatchChain; 04-02-2013 at 10:19 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 04-03-2013, 12:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I saw the Piers Morgan interview..I have to agree with Olive on this one.Beyotch is crazy.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:42 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
I saw the Piers Morgan interview..I have to agree with Olive on this one.Beyotch is crazy.
that's too bad , hopefully she'll get help instead of being turned into a sideshow
Old 04-04-2013, 12:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I would have actually been mildly entertained by her anti-gay rant.
Well I just about pissed myself reading her comments. Michelle's entitled to her opinions, no matter what they may be. It would take a brave (or perhaps slightly deranged) woman to state such views. Gotta love her for it.

For the record, her work is well worth searching out, including gems such as "Anchorage", "Memories Of East Texas" and "Come A Long Way". A true talent if ever there was one.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
For the record, her work is well worth searching out, including gems such as "Anchorage", "Memories Of East Texas" and "Come A Long Way". A true talent if ever there was one.
Great songs!