Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-15-2003, 10:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Lightbulb From GOS to SYW

OMG. I can't believe how amazing these formerly GOS songs sound blaring out of my stereo in real cd quality. Just amazing. I am SO thrilled he left Murrow, Come and Red Rover alone--no noticeable changes from our beloved demos except a little remastering (which is noticeable because the songs sound way richer and I can hear parts that were barely audible before in mp3 form). I believed the demos were perfect as they were. They didn't shorten Come either. It's perfectly preserved. Ahhh.
Miranda, Bleed To Love Her and Steal Your Heart Away have that subtle Stevie harmony the songs were totally craving, IMO. It's not overdone. I am really glad not all of Lindsey's songs have the heavy Stevie presence that Peacekeeper does. And I have gained a new appreciation for Peacekeeper because it's unique in sounding like a duet. Like "I Don't Want To Know" you can't tell which is the melody and which is the harmony. I love that. But I wouldn't love it so much if they all sounded like that.
I don't know what to make of the Stevie harmony in Say Goodbye. It's nice, but I don't think the song really needed it. I don't know.
BTW You can totally hear Christine loud and clear in SYHA and BTLH. That's awesome.
My only complaints: No Down On Rodeo, Twist of Fate, Try For The Sun
But whatever.
<-----This is me right now. I am so thrilled. Lindsey is too amazing for words.
-Sonia
"So I close my eyes softly... till I become that part of the wind that we all long for sometimes. And to those that I love like a ghost through a fog, like a charmed hour and a haunted song, and the angel... of my dreams"

"All alone we suffer. Oh, to steal your heart away."

Last edited by ERigby818; 04-15-2003 at 07:43 PM..
Old 04-15-2003, 01:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up ITA!

I just got the Limited Edition CD for SYW. It is great! I'm just playing it now at work. I am so glad to hear Lindsey's songs sound so much like his demos. I'm really glad that Miranda is unchanged except for Stevie added in as the background vocals. I'm not totally through the whole thing; I'm on Bleed to Love Her right now. I love this version. I'm very happy with this CD. The Mac should be proud; they did a great job!

Lee
Old 04-15-2003, 02:32 PM
Junior Ledgie

Default Get the DVD-A:)!

I got my copy of the DVD-A on Monday...only had time to listen to part of it so far, but I like most of what I hear.

All of the Lindsey songs I heard were just great in hi-resolution surround sound I must say...a *wee* bit better than my mp3 versions....

I'll hopefully get to more of the Stevie songs tonight!

So far, my only disappointment was the lack of any extra content on the DVD-A. Many of the standards that usually come with DVD-A are not there...on-screen lyrics, photo galleries, videos, artist commentary...none of this was included. For a good reference, check out what was done on the Rumours DVD-A...one of the best ever.

I'm guessing that this was a rushed DVD-A release as the studio just wanted the prestige of being able to say that this was a simultaneous release (DVD-A and CD released at the same time which may be one of the first times (if not THE first time) that Warner Bros. has done this). It's still totally worth it to get the MUCH higher quality sound!

Once you hear DVD-A, regular CDs just don't cut it (IMHO)...

Jon
Old 04-16-2003, 05:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Still waiting for the 28th to get a real copy of the album and have a good quality listening then... Grrr
But I downloaded Peacekeeper in the DVD-A version from the velvetmoon-site and that remembered me of the discussions when we first heard the SYW version. A lot of people and me too were not happy with the mixing of the vocals and complaint Stevie was too present or in the front there. On this DVD-A version it is completely different- the mixing there reminds more of the approach on Steal your heart away imo. But is it just me- or is it a lower tempo version...? It`s interesting- go have a listen and tell me what you think about it! Stefan
Old 04-16-2003, 06:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: From GOS to SYW

Quote:
Originally posted by ERigby818
OMG. I can't believe how amazing these formerly GOS songs sound blaring out of my stereo in real cd quality. Just amazing. I am SO thrilled he left Murrow, Come and Red Rover alone--no noticeable changes from our beloved demos except a little remastering (which is noticeable because the songs sound way richer and I can hear parts that were barely audible before in mp3 form). I believed the demos were perfect as they were. They didn't shorten Come either. It's perfectly preserved. Ahhh.
Miranda, Bleed To Love Her and Steal Your Heart Away have that subtle Stevie harmony the songs were totally craving, IMO. It's not overdone. I am really glad not all of Lindsey's songs have the heavy Stevie presence that Peacekeeper does. And I have gained a new appreciation for Peacekeeper because it's unique in sounding like a duet. Like "I Don't Want To Know" you can't tell which is the melody and which is the harmony. I love that. But I wouldn't love it so much if they all sounded like that.
I don't know what to make of the Stevie harmony in Say Goodbye. It's nice, but I don't think the song really needed it. I don't know.
BTW You can totally hear Christine loud and clear in SYHA and BTLH. That's awesome.
My only complaints: No Down On Rodeo, Twist of Fate, Try For The Sun
But whatever.
<-----This is me right now. I am so thrilled. Lindsey is too amazing for words.
-Sonia
Haha, I totally agree with everything you said...!

Except in respect to.....

"I am SO thrilled he left Murrow, Come and Red Rover alone--no noticeable changes from our beloved demos except a little remastering"

....MY reaction is

<------This is me right now....!!!

Old 04-16-2003, 10:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default I'm DYING listening to this!!

I am ECSTATIC that he left those GOS songs the EXACT same because I think they were PERFECTION and didn't NEED changing. Red Rover and Come, MOST ESPECIALLY!! I think I would have crapped if either had been DRASTICALLY different!! Don't they sound FRICKIN AWESOME on CD, an ACTUAL CD...not mp3, not burned...ON CD!!!!

Come just came (LMAO!) on!!! I wish it wasn't 11PM, or I'd crank it up LOOOOUUUUUUUUUUDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!
Old 04-17-2003, 01:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I`m not too happy about the slightly changed version of Say goodbye. Probably it will take a little more time and I still think it's a good song. But the GOS version sounded better imo. I liked the guitar sound better and Stevies additional vocals don't fit onto that (unlike on Steal your heart away where that is an improvement imo)
Old 05-01-2003, 02:58 PM
Junior Ledgie

Default Twist of Fate!

As much as I'm enjoying the new album...

Man, do I wish that they had included "Twist of Fate"!.

That song would have been a much better closer for the album...maybe he's saving it for another album...

My mp3 version of ToF is not very good...does anyone know where to get a better version?

Thanks,

Jonathan
Old 05-01-2003, 04:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Twist of Fate!

Quote:
Originally posted by jkoolpe
My mp3 version of ToF is not very good...does anyone know where to get a better version?
I'd be happy to rip you another MP3 of it at a higher bitrate -- 160 or 192 or even 356 or whatever you decide -- & then e-mail it to you. Let me know via e-mail. I think the original MP3s posted were ripped at 128 just to save a little wear & tear on bandwidth & servers.