User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-21-2003, 07:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Roxette's Per Gessle Owes New Solo Career to Lindsey's Influence

In this article the new rising solo star of Roxette fame attributes his music to the influence of Lindsey, et al.

http://www.dailyroxette.com/article.php/1280

STOCKHOLM (Updated) - A pop single of 2 minutes and 39 seconds has turned Per Gessle's life upside down. The Swedish newspaper Aftonbladet and the tabloid Expressen report today about Per Gessle's plans for a possible solo-tour. "I would love to go on tour," he says in Aftonbladet.
Per hadn't thought of a tour, but after the positive reactions to his single "Här kommer alla känslorna", he is now re-thinking it. "On Friday everything was like normal, but today all the radio stations are pulling me, the newspapers have given me good reviews, the reporters want me to go on a solo tour... and actually I do feel like going on tour," he comments to Aftonbladet.
Today his mind is full of thoughts on the subject. "If I go on a tour, and play a 2-hour long set, I have to play some Gyllene Tider too, but that would take the edge off Gyllene Tider's 25th anniversary, next year; on the other hand, I have done three Swedish solo albums and one in English, so I should have enough material to go on tour, and just nibble around a bit with Gyllene Tider's, I am really up for it".
"I love to be on stage, so we will see if this works out," he tells Expressen, who has also revealed that Per has another concert booked besides the one on July 14 for the Swedish Crown Princess; he will finally play live on the much loved TV-show "Allsång på skansen" (Sing-along at Skansen) on June 24.
But this doesn’t mean the end of Roxette, does it?" No no no, this was already planned, but when Marie got ill, I started to work on this album more. But she is doing really fine and is already working on her own new solo album," he tells Expressen. Per will go on writing Roxette songs if he has nothing else to do, "Writing songs is probably what I like best."
According to Aftonbladet, who has been able to listen to the seven song sampler of the album, all of them are "potential hits". "This album is one of those which don't have any single or just singles. When I played it for ten people, they have proposed me at least seven singles. I mean, 'Här kommer alla känslorna (på en och samma gång)' is track number eleven on the album, and that says a lot," says Per to Aftonbladet.
It takes a great deal to rattle his world. And now it has happened, "...it's not many times that I have found myself with such a reaction. Even if it has been great years, the past 25," he says to Aftonbladet and laughs.

Per thanks Lindsey Buckingham (Fleetwood Mac) and George Harrison on his album, "this is the sound we have tried to get, the ideal sound is from 1971-72. It goes through the entire album, it sounds airy, playful, the music breathes," he concludes in Aftonbladet.

And he's a big fan of Trouble! (Aren't we all )

http://dailyroxette.com/article.php/1277

Early this morning Per Gessle was interviewed by Anna Hansson at the Swedish radio channel P3's program "Morgonpasset", where besides commenting about his new single, they have been playing and talking about summer songs.
Hansson started the interview off congratulating Per for the single, "I read you have just made the hit of the summer!" she said "yeah, I read that too," Per answered, adding "we'll see if it happens, of course it's great fun!"
A summer hit that Per will never forget is "Trouble" by Lindsay Buckham(sic), the guitar player and singer of Fleetwood Mac. "This song is like a rented car on the freeway, your elbow outside the window and this great song on the stereo," commented Per, and went on describing his feelings at that moment, "there's a sense of freedom in that state, the myth and as a tourist you pick it up at once!"

I think we can blame the deplorable spelling of Lindsey's name on the reporter rather than the obvious fan that this guy is.
Old 05-21-2003, 11:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Roxette? My only experience with them was when I visited the Rock and Roll Museum in Cleveland, Ohio, about five years ago. I overheard some angry visitor say "There's nothing here from Roxette! What a rip off!" I still laugh about that!
Old 05-21-2003, 01:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Talking KEWL!!!!!!

I have Roxette's GH album!! Thanks for posting this!! It's so cool to hear when other singers/players are influenced by Lindsey!!
Old 05-21-2003, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by PenguinHead
Roxette? My only experience with them was when I visited the Rock and Roll Museum in Cleveland, Ohio, about five years ago. I overheard some angry visitor say "There's nothing here from Roxette! What a rip off!" I still laugh about that!
Do you think this person was serious?
Old 05-21-2003, 08:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Roxette? I grew up with them too, lol. What a coincidence the 2 are connected somehow.
Old 05-22-2003, 01:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Roxette is one of the biggest groups in Sweden. As recent as maybe 3 years ago they won a world music award for biggest selling world artist I believe...

Marie Fredriksson ( sp?) was diagnosed with a brain tumour and had it removed. This really has put a stop to Roxette for awhile and I don't blame Per for going at it alone so he can keep the Roxette spirit alive as she gets well.

But they had some decent music out and I have their greatest hits as well. One of my favorite songs of all time is their " See Me" and " You Don't Understand Me" great stuff.

Im so glad that someone ELSE credit Lindsey! Now we need a Kate Bush and a Frida and I'd be a happy camper haha.
Old 05-22-2003, 07:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Yes the important thing of course is not who credited Lindsey but that Lindsey was credited!! And yes Roxette is more Pop than rock - hence the easy swipe one can take at them (another reason being that a woman is a lead singer - see ABBA and our own Fleetwood Mac) - but it can't be denied that they sold a heck of a lot of albums, and Lindsey is the King of pop (production)anyway.
Janet I was going to tack on the ABBA parallel - seeing as theres the Sweden theme. You may have read it, but in the recent biography Bright Lights/Dark Shadows, Fleetwood Mac is credited or referred to often, not so much by Frida of course but at least by the producers and the songwriters.

Lindsey's Fleetwood Mac has an influence broad and varied! (Mainly Scandinavia though )
Old 05-22-2003, 12:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hey!

Do you have Bright Lights Dark Shadows? I am in that book! If you look in the thank you parts, you will see Janet Strayer. I showed the author this site and he actually thanked me in his book!

So how cool is that! LOL. I didn't think anyone had it.
Old 05-23-2003, 02:11 AM
Ledgie

Great post, Rodeo! Roxette may be considered more pop than rock (not that that's a bad thing) but you can definitely hear Lindsey's influence when you listen to their albums. I am a very big fan of both Fleetwood Mac and Roxette and I'm glad they are both still going strong musically.
Old 05-28-2003, 06:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'd love to hear Roxette covering an LB song...or even vice-versa! I think he could do a mean "She's Got The Look"...!