Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-13-2017, 12:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Austin show

I went to the Austin show last night. This was my second time seeing her solo; I've seen posts here complaining about the setlist and how she talked too much, but I loved every minute of it.

I went with a friend who is more of a casual fan, and he really enjoyed hearing her stories. I suspect that a lot of people who haven't heard these stories countless times probably enjoyed them, too. She did talk a LOT (more than at the IYD show I saw), and it sort of broke up the flow a bit, but she's so charming that I didn't really mind it.

She was in great voice - I see the YouTube clips people post and think she doesn't sound that great, but when you're actually there, it's totally different. "Gold and Braid" was a case in point. I love that song and I'm so grateful I got to see her do it - I saw a YouTube clip and though "Meh, she can't really pull it off anymore," but seeing it live - she totally does it. Same for "If Anyone Falls."

This rendition of "Moonlight" was a revelation and everyone seemed mesmerized by "Gold Dust Woman." The "Edge of Seventeen" wail is gone completely, but she worked it out at the end. She really does seem to be adept at working around the fact that she can't do some of the wailing that she used to. She makes up for it in other ways that are just as satisfying, IMO.

I'm kind of glad she replaced "Leather & Lace" with "Landslide" as the closer - L&L has never been a favorite of mine. I just adored this show and had a great time.
Old 03-13-2017, 01:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

glad you had a good time! how did it sell?
Old 03-13-2017, 01:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by markolas View Post
I went to the Austin show last night. This was my second time seeing her solo; I've seen posts here complaining about the setlist and how she talked too much, but I loved every minute of it.

I just adored this show and had a great time.
I loved it, too, though the stories were sometimes a bit much for me.
I believe this was my 20th time seeing Stevie – 1st was in 1989, and obviously she puts on a much better show today. My seats were the worst I have had in 20 years, but I was going with friends who are casual fans and had limits, so I spent far less this time after being lucky enough to get front row the past 4 or 5 shows I have seen. But first row is not as worth it with no Edgewalk, IMO. I was even able to sneak down briefly to visit with Livia, who scored 12th row.

I am very glad I finally made it to see this tour after having to miss Houston and Dallas because of work travels last year. The track list is a dream.

Many people warned me about the venue. The sound was sometimes not ideal and the seats were very uncomfortable; your knees were right up against the seats in front of you when you sat. (The good thing about the venue is that I work a couple of blocks away, so parking was easy and free.) The venue was nearly full, but not sold out.

The Pretenders were good, but I had trouble hearing the vocals several times during their set, much more than with Stevie. I can’t be sure if it was simply a matter of Chrissy not being as loud as Stevie. At one point during SDMHA it seemed that Chrissy’s microphone completely shut down. Throughout the song, it seemed as though she was trying to belt but couldn't match Stevie as well as she wanted to.

(GrumpyOldMan time.) Merchandise was expensive, IMO. (Fifty bucks for a t-shirt?) I was fine with getting nothing, but my friend’s wife sneaked away and surprised me with one of the posters with the city and date on it.

As long as Stevie’s stories are, somehow many of them are shorter than the versions we have all heard or read elsewhere. All the same, at one point late in the show Stevie mentioned that this was her first time ever telling the reason she did something, and I wish I could remember what it was! (ForgetfulOldMan time.)

She made several mentions of the Toyota that would not drive in reverse, and my first time hearing about that was in a written interview just a few years ago. But this was the first time I heard her say that once she made money she left the car to be impounded by the police, even though Mick wanted to turn it into a planter.

At other shows, has Stevie done that long shpiel about following your dreams and writing a book and having it adapted by Warner brothers and getting rich? That one was weird. I can deal with and even sometimes be amused by the personal stories, but when she turns the concert into a self-help motivational tour, I just check out.

My friends found it cute that she repeatedly referred to South by Southwest as Southwest by Southwest. I was more amused that she referred to the Landslide Superbowl commercial and pointed out the irony that she had never been to a football game, which might be a first for a performer at the Erwin Center by UT.

Stevie and Chrissy both pandered to the ATX crowd. Chrissy made fun of how one of her musicians is from Iowa, that not everybody is fortunate enough to be from Austin, Texas. She also talked about how fun it was to walk around the city with her band, and how much she appreciates the music here. Stevie’s lighting people put up the Texas flag as the backdrop right before the encore, and Stevie said that she would never forget Austin. Let’s just say you didn’t forget where you were. I almost expected her to do Rhiannon in a cowboy hat as a pale and violent rider. (Come to think of it, she had some big Texas hair from the GDW hairshake until the end of the show.)

Stevie looked amazing and seemed to get younger over the course of the show. She looked 15 years younger than she looked at SYW and the Gold Dust tours. Also, there were more women dressed up as Stevie at this show than at any I have seen in many years.

I am so proud of her for skipping Dreams this time around.

I always regret when verses are cut from Edge, which is so lyrically strong.

Gold and Braid was one of my favorites, and unlike in 1998, it did not seem to be a weak shadow of the HBO special in terms of energy. For once I did not miss the kicks. Well, not as much.

Belle Fleur was maybe my least favorite, but was not bad.

If You Were My love has never been a favorite of mine, but (like Love Is, another non-favorite track), it works very well in a live setting.

This is the first tour ever where I like Gypsy. I never thought it worked well live. For once the music maintained the momentum that the song deserves. If Anyone Falls is another one that is better on this tour, as is Enchanted.

GDW is the only song that has sounded amazing on every tour I have seen, and last night was one of the very best.

I’m in the minority in wanting L&L to stay in the set instead of Landslide, but I have to admit, the latter was a good closing number.

When Stevie said that she had no memory of what made her write Crying in the Night, I wanted to call out, Leslie Anne Warren in that Western you saw. I am sure that for many of us on this board, we have reached a point in our "relationship" with this performer where we can finish her stories for her and remember the details better than she can.

Early on Stevie emphasized that she made the promise before Bella Donna that she will never ever be the one to break up FM. I suspect this is her way of responding to all of the recent criticisms.

As much as I like Tom Petty, I cringe a bit when Stevie repeatedly gushes about him letting her hang out at his house and talks as though she would never have a career without him. Enough. You are Stevie frickin’ Nicks.

So glad I went. My friends complained about ticket prices for the entire month before the concert, but were wholly won over by Stevie’s performance. They even enjoyed all the stories. And at least as far as the songs go, I was entertained throughout.

- Jake
Old 03-13-2017, 02:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVEHEDRICK View Post
glad you had a good time! how did it sell?
It wasn't sold out, but it was pretty full. I saw a review today that described it as "near sell-out." That sounds about right.
Old 03-13-2017, 02:35 PM

Stevie Nicks and the Pretenders make a non-SXSW splash at Erwin Center

“What a trip to be here during South by Southwest accidentally,” Stevie Nicks enthused to a near-full house at the Erwin Center on Sunday night, just blocks away from where tens of thousands were gathered downtown for Austin’s massive annual event. Big names in town at this time of year almost always are SXSW-related, but this double bill featuring the Fleetwood Mac singer and her eight-piece band plus fellow Rock and Roll Hall of Famers the Pretenders was a rare exception.

There were close connections. Mick Fleetwood wasn’t there, but the namesake drummer for the band that launched Nicks to superstardom will be at SXSW on Wednesday for a Convention Center conversation. And Pretenders leader Chrissie Hynde, who gave a shoutout to Austin musical brothers Charlie and Will Sexton during her set, later headed downtown to sit in with Charlie at the SXSW-connected Austin Music Awards at ACL Live Sunday night.

For the most part, though, this concert was all about playing to die-hard fans of both bands, beyond the scope of music industry connections. When Nicks last visited Austin with Fleetwood Mac two years ago, she and the band addressed the crowd with a sense of finality, knowing it might well be the last time those five members would play together in Austin. But that didn’t mean Nicks wouldn’t come back on her own.

At 68, she now seems as interested in talking at length about her life memories as she is in playing her music. How much did Nicks ramble? Here’s the best gauge: In 2 hours and 24 minutes onstage, she played 18 songs, whereas the Pretenders got through 15 songs in just an hour and 6 minutes.

If it was too much at times (and it was), her fans were too polite or adoring to object. An extended recollection of writing “New Orleans” in 2005 while watching scenes from Hurricane Katrina on TV from her Los Angeles home seemed as ill-advised as the tune itself. It’s not a bad song, but Nicks went on as if it were a cultural-touchstone tribute to that city’s resilience in the face of disaster. Such perspectives are best heard from the Crescent City’s own great musicians, of which there are plenty.

When her stories were more personal, they resonated more deeply. An account of how her hit “Stand Back” was inspired by Prince’s “Little Red Corvette” and ended up featuring him as a guest musician was great live-memoir material, as was the show-closing vignette about how she holed up in a Colorado cabin one day in the early ’70s and came out with the timeless classic “Landslide.” It seemed an opportune moment to bring out locals Emily Strayer and Martie Seidel of the Dixie Chicks, whose 2002 cover version further immortalized the song, but perhaps they weren’t around this weekend.

While Nicks touched on a couple other Fleetwood Mac highlights (“Rhiannon,” “Gypsy,” “Gold Dust Woman”) as well as most of her solo hits (“Edge of Seventeen,” “Wild Heart,” “If Anyone Falls”), she explained early on that the set would include a lot of personal favorites that she hasn’t played often. This was a nice touch, one that might also serve Fleetwood Mac well if they ever do reconvene.

Nicks’ band was on-point throughout, especially guitarist Waddy Wachtel, her right-hand man since she began her solo career in the early ’80s. Among the other storytelling high points were several recollections of her collaborations with Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers, and while Petty wasn’t around to take his duet role on “Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around,” bringing Hynde back out to do the honors made the song feel all the more special.

Indeed, Hynde and the Pretenders got the night off to a “special (so special)” start, with her iconic “Brass in Pocket” capping a set that also included favorites such as “Back on the Chain Gang,” “Stop Your Sobbing,” “My City Was Gone” and “Don’t Get Me Wrong.” Some of the strongest moments came on quieter numbers that allowed Hynde’s voice, still radiant at 65, to fill up the Erwin Center, including “Hymn for Her” and “I’ll Stand By You.”

Only Hynde and drummer Martin Chambers remain from the band’s original late-’70s lineup. But comparatively younger guns James Walbourne (guitar), Nick Wilkinson (bass) and Eric Heywood (pedal steel) — all three of whom showed up at Austin’s Continental Club on Saturday night to catch Bay Area rocker Chuck Prophet — have been in the mix for nearly 10 years, making the present Pretenders a tightly bonded unit that’s still relevant to the here and now.

The band will stick around one more night: They’re booked to tape an episode of “Austin City Limits” on Monday at ACL Live for what will be the Pretenders’ first-ever appearance on the renowned music television program.

http://music.blog.austin360.com/2017...-erwin-center/
Old 03-13-2017, 03:06 PM

A-List photos: Stevie Nicks with guests the Pretenders at the Erwin Center on March 12

More pictures here: http://www.austin360.com/entertainme...SAvMts2kogHyI/
Old 03-13-2017, 03:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I was at the show last night and it was the best Stevie show I have ever seen! I saw her back in October but she seemed much more relaxed and into it. She went high on GDW and even did her Stand Back kick! I have lots of pics I can share, but my favorite was when I captured Mick Fleetwood in the audience!

I'll have to post the pics later since they are too big to upload.
Old 03-13-2017, 03:41 PM

Intro

If Anyone Falls

Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around

Gypsy

Wild Heart/Bella Donna

Bella Donna Banter

New Orleans

Starshine

Moonlight

Stand Back

Crying in the Night

Gold Dust Woman

Edge of Seventeen

Rhiannon

Landslide

----------> Like before I'm going to add new videos to this post so keep checking it out

Last edited by SisterNightroad; 03-23-2017 at 08:41 AM..
Old 03-13-2017, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by APerfectLie View Post
I was at the show last night and it was the best Stevie show I have ever seen! I saw her back in October but she seemed much more relaxed and into it. She went high on GDW and even did her Stand Back kick! I have lots of pics I can share, but my favorite was when I captured Mick Fleetwood in the audience!

I'll have to post the pics later since they are too big to upload.
It's all incredibly interesting, both the Stand back kick, the pictures and Mick!
Please post if/when you can, and thanks in advance.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
It's all incredibly interesting, both the Stand back kick, the pictures and Mick!
Please post if/when you can, and thanks in advance.
Here's Mick!

photo IMG_2193_zpsnf8zyc6l.jpg
Old 03-13-2017, 05:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

so cool! did anybody notice or just leave him alone? glad he supports her!
Old 03-13-2017, 05:42 PM

Fantastic. I guess this means that the band members are cool with each other.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

That is so cool that Mick was in the audience!
Old 03-13-2017, 06:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVEHEDRICK View Post
so cool! did anybody notice or just leave him alone? glad he supports her!
I'm not sure if many people noticed. He was sitting in the second row of the side section, but there was nobody sitting in the first or third rows of that section and it didn't look like regular attendees could access his area. I didn't see anyone else taking pictures of his are or trying to talk to him. He also wore a hat for a while. I can't help but wonder why he was in Austin. It is SXSW, so I assume he was here for that...
Old 03-13-2017, 06:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by APerfectLie View Post
I can't help but wonder why he was in Austin. It is SXSW, so I assume he was here for that...
Yes, according to this review and others, he is in town for that. (Though the concert might be why he got here early.)
http://www.austinchronicle.com/daily...e-nicks-soars/

- Jake