Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-10-2004, 02:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default What are you reading right now?

I was just curious to see what my fellow bookworms were into right now.

I've just finished Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke. It's a very strange but interesting book about two English magicians in the last century. A very long read, but it was engaging and enjoyable.

I've also just finished Trainspotting by Irvine Welsh. Funniest book ever! If you've seen the movie, the novel is like everything x10. It's told in a Scottish accent written phonetically, with a lot of odd Scottish slang. Here's a little sample:
"Whoah. Likesay, gaunnae huv tae stoap ye thair, catboy. The O Grades wis bull****, ken? Thought ah'd use that tae git ma fit in the door. Showin initiative, likeseay. Ken?"
(that's one of the more understandable passages..)
There's even a glossary in the back of the book to translate the slang words.
It's radge. (radge = crazy)

As of now, I'm reading Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz. It's about a young man that can see ghosts. It seems pretty cool so far.

Old 11-10-2004, 02:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I just got Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell in the mail from Amazon yesterday! I'm going to start it tonight, since it'll probably take me 6 months to finish it...

Last week I finished Christpher Rice's The Snow Garden (which sat on my shelf for almost a year before I got around to it...)
Old 11-10-2004, 02:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I just finished Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (second time reading it) - it was even better then second time around..I LOVE Harry Potter..

I just started reading The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks - I haven't seen the movie yet - and I was buying a journal at a Barnes and Noble when I saw TN at the checkout stand - it was an impluse buy
Old 11-10-2004, 02:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Just finished a book called Faerie Tale, by i can't remember. It was good, another real life/fantasy tale. (love those. If anyone else likes them, i recommend Jonathan Carroll, and Elisabeth Hand) But i haven't been able to get a new book, so before i go to bed i've been rereading my Calvin N Hobbes.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 11-10-2004, 02:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerDeanna
I just finished Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (second time reading it) - it was even better then second time around..I LOVE Harry Potter..

I just started reading The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks - I haven't seen the movie yet - and I was buying a journal at a Barnes and Noble when I saw TN at the checkout stand - it was an impluse buy
Ohh, The Notebook is a wonderful story, happy reading! I've read all of Sparks' books (sort of sappy but I like that ) I didn't see the movie either, but I'd like to. I LOVE HP too!

Right now I'm trying to get through Bill Clinton's autobiography. His childhood was very interesting. I am halfway through it and have stalled with my reading. Anyone get through this one?
Old 11-10-2004, 02:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzeQuze
Ohh, The Notebook is a wonderful story, happy reading! I've read all of Sparks' books (sort of sappy but I like that ) I didn't see the movie either, but I'd like to. I LOVE HP too!
Yep - I'm a big fan of the sap lol....I have enjoyed what I've read so far - and if I really like it then I can look forward to reading his other books...

Although next in line after the Notebook is The Las of Similars by Chris Bohjalian.
Old 11-10-2004, 02:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
What are you reading right now?
This thread.

Old 03-05-2005, 10:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default I got quagmired about mid way too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzeQuze

Right now I'm trying to get through Bill Clinton's autobiography. His childhood was very interesting. I am halfway through it and have stalled with my reading. Anyone get through this one?
I too found his growing up years (including post college) interesting (I am at the part where he and Hillary moved in together) and for some reason I am not moving forward (tho my life is kinda chaotic right now)

Authors I read over and over: Marion Zimmer Bradley, the Avalon series.
Roger Zelazny, the Chronicles of Amber, Diana Gabaldon, Butterfly in Amber/Outlander/Voyager/Drums of Autumn (I want a Jamie Frasier of my OWN! HUBBA HUBBA)

I just finished Da Vinci Code, the Red Tent, and Digital Fortress. I think Dan Brown is AWESOME. Truly.

Last edited by irishgrl; 03-05-2005 at 10:53 PM..
Old 03-05-2005, 10:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Welcome to The Ledge, Marissa!

Right now, I'm finishing up Solomon Northup's Twelve Years a Slave, which is pretty depressing, and Bev Marshall's Right as Rain (again). After that, it's on to Ellen Gilchrist's I, Rhoda Manning, Go Hunting with my Daddy. (For class).
Old 03-09-2005, 02:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerDeanna
I love Harry Potter too! I'm trying (and mainly failing) to combine that and improving my french by reading the books in french. I'm up to The Prisoner of Azkaban but it's getting tough. You do get to learn cool phrases like Baguette Magique (Magic Wand)

Gail
Old 11-10-2004, 02:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal
I just got Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell in the mail from Amazon yesterday! I'm going to start it tonight, since it'll probably take me 6 months to finish it...
Just a word of advice - it starts out rather slow. If you feel like you want to just stop b/c it's too slow for you, don't! LOL. It gets more interesting by like the 6th chapter or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerDeana
I liked the book too, but damn if I didn't want to smack Harry around. The kid was such a whining bastard in this one!
Old 11-10-2004, 02:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moony

I liked the book too, but damn if I didn't want to smack Harry around. The kid was such a whining bastard in this one!
aww..come on he just has all sorts of teenage angst to deal with

Seriously though - Harry is a little pain in the ass like in this one - refusing to listen to Hermione toward the end....that always gets me...

But the one I wanted to slap around in that book was Umbridge - ugh - I HATE that character...I don't think a book character has even inspired so much anger in me haha...
Old 11-10-2004, 02:47 PM
Moony
This message has been deleted by Moony.
Old 11-10-2004, 02:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moony
OMG YES! I loved the scene when she was "inspecting" Prof. McGonagall. Ole Minerva doesn't take crap from anyone I wanted to squash Umbridge like the little toad she was.
Me too....but I loved the fleeing of Fred and George and the fact that Peeves totally gave her hell....loved that - and I did like how Umbridge was finally handled...though Harry and Hermoine almost got it too...

Umbridge's quill punishment also got to me -that character is pure evil...I think I disliked her more than I do Voldemort lol

McGonagall kicks ass for sure - one of my absolute favorite Hogwarts profs
Old 11-10-2004, 02:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal
Last week I finished Christpher Rice's The Snow Garden (which sat on my shelf for almost a year before I got around to it...)
Was it a good book?

I finally finished A Place of Execution by Val McDermid last week, and I haven't decided what's next -- In the Fall by Jeffrey Lent or a re-read of 1984 by George Orwell.