Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-11-2016, 12:15 AM
Ledgie

Default Play In The Rain

So, as of right now it is 12:07 A.M. in the land of Fleetwood Jack's living room. However, I am unable to go to sleep. So naturally I had to play the first side of Go Insane to go to sleep, hey it's normal! And it got me to thinking as Play In The Rain concluded, forcing me to go back to bed, what do you guys think of Play In The Rain? I'm not talking about the second part, Play In The Rain (Cont.), I'm talking about the weird, nightimey, dark, first part.

What do you think the lyrics mean? Do you guys think it's as bad as people say it is? Why or why not?

Honestly, I really like it now, I guess hearing it extremely early in the morning has changed my perspective on it or maybe when it's early my musical standards lower. I'm just playing! I actually really like it. I think the lyrics express some loneliness after the messy break-up with Carol Ann Harris. As for the instrumentation, I think it's good at preparing the listener for the second part. I've always liked the linking bit on the two parts. I love how Play In The Rain ends where Play In The Rain (Cont.) begins.

Anywho, I am falling fast asleep. So just answer down below if you have time and I will reply back tomorrow or whenever.

See ya!
Old 10-11-2016, 09:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetwood Jack View Post
So, as of right now it is 12:07 A.M. in the land of Fleetwood Jack's living room. However, I am unable to go to sleep. So naturally I had to play the first side of Go Insane to go to sleep, hey it's normal! And it got me to thinking as Play In The Rain concluded, forcing me to go back to bed, what do you guys think of Play In The Rain? I'm not talking about the second part, Play In The Rain (Cont.), I'm talking about the weird, nightimey, dark, first part.

What do you think the lyrics mean? Do you guys think it's as bad as people say it is? Why or why not?

Honestly, I really like it now, I guess hearing it extremely early in the morning has changed my perspective on it or maybe when it's early my musical standards lower. I'm just playing! I actually really like it. I think the lyrics express some loneliness after the messy break-up with Carol Ann Harris. As for the instrumentation, I think it's good at preparing the listener for the second part. I've always liked the linking bit on the two parts. I love how Play In The Rain ends where Play In The Rain (Cont.) begins.

Anywho, I am falling fast asleep. So just answer down below if you have time and I will reply back tomorrow or whenever.

See ya!
Honestly, I have no clue. I'm going to make something up though. Playing in th rain is him experierimenting or playing around with his solo work. Even though he isn't doing as well it's still fun.
Old 10-11-2016, 11:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

man i haven't listened to Go Insane for such a long long time. if i remember correctly i like the first part of play in the rain much better than cont. part. sometimes i really love that song and just fits with my mood, other times it gets on my nerves.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 10-11-2016, 11:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't know what it is about either. As I see it it is content and form as one. It's as playful musically as it is lyrically. But it is also the coresong of an album that is called Go Insane. I've always seen it as the interbellum between sanity and insanity. A musical deconstruction of the phase of a mind losing grip. The moment that the almost childish wish to play together in the rain is the only way you are able to experience existence in the moment. On my CD, that I imported from Germany in 85, both tracks are connected as one track #5 called Play In The Rain (6:56).

I love it to death. It is the main reason why it is still my favorite LB album.

BTW, I played it tonight when we were cooking, after the first two minutes my wife almost pulled her hair out, but towards the end she said, she could cope with it. She listened to it all the way through the seven minutes, which I consider an act of love.

Last edited by shackin'up; 10-11-2016 at 01:30 PM..