User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-25-2017, 05:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back
Default Love Will Find A Way

YES guitarist Trevor Rabin wrote the song Love Will Find A Way for Stevie Nicks. He sent her the track and I saw an interview with Stevie in 1994 saying she loved the song and when she hears it on the radio she sings along and says its her song (joking). She said she never got around recording it or writing more to the track which is why she never recorded it. YES drummer Alan White convinced the band to record it instead of giving it to Stevie. It was released in 1987 being a #1 rock track and #30 Billboard for the band. I think it may have been YES's last top 40 hit.
My question is when this song was offered to Stevie. I assume it may have been around the RAL era? Its a shame Stevie did not record it, I think it would have been cool. I have always loved the song.
If you don't know it, here is a link.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_W..._Way_(Yes_song)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hrowi4hHz8A
Old 08-25-2017, 06:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yeah it would have been on Rock a Little along with These Dreams by Bernie Taupin .

Old 08-25-2017, 08:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Nice that so many people wanted to give her songs but nothing about that song sounds like Stevie to me (THESE DREAMS at least has Stevie-style lyrics)
*Ricoh*
Old 08-26-2017, 12:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricohv View Post
Nice that so many people wanted to give her songs but nothing about that song sounds like Stevie to me (THESE DREAMS at least has Stevie-style lyrics)
*Ricoh*
Bernie Taupin These Dreams especially for Stevie but she turned it down thinking that it sounded like a cliche of herself.

Old 08-26-2017, 01:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I wish she would of recorded this. It's a good song.
Old 08-26-2017, 02:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricohv View Post
*Ricoh*
Rock A Little could of used good songs. The best song on the album was by far Talk to Me. She lost her touch that album and should provided the public good songs whether they were written by her or not.
Old 08-26-2017, 06:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
Bernie Taupin These Dreams especially for Stevie but she turned it down thinking that it sounded like a cliche of herself.
Not only could it be a cliché about herself but the song is full of cheezy clichés I could see so many artists turning it down.
"Is it spring or fall, I walk without a cut through a stain glass wall"
LOL I could not imagine Stevie singing about walking through a wall
In addition her voice was so raspy during this time, I don't think it would have sounded very good. Although Stevie took on some cheezy songs for RAL but this one would have taken the cake. When it was offered to Heart, they pretty much were a dead band and had to change record labels. I think Nancy did the song justice and pulled off what would be a very difficult song to sing. I think some Stevie fans feel regret because the song was #1 and so popular. Not sure Stevie could have pulled that off.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 08-26-2017 at 06:18 AM..
Old 08-26-2017, 09:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
Rock A Little could of used good songs. The best song on the album was by far Talk to Me. She lost her touch that album and should provided the public good songs whether they were written by her or not.
Well that's your opinion and I respect it but RAL will always rank highly with me. There were MANY great tracks on the album. "Provide the public with good songs" is an arrogant statement. Good by your standards?
Old 08-26-2017, 09:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Not only could it be a cliché about herself but the song is full of cheezy clichés I could see so many artists turning it down.
"Is it spring or fall, I walk without a cut through a stain glass wall"
LOL I could not imagine Stevie singing about walking through a wall
In addition her voice was so raspy during this time, I don't think it would have sounded very good. Although Stevie took on some cheezy songs for RAL but this one would have taken the cake. When it was offered to Heart, they pretty much were a dead band and had to change record labels. I think Nancy did the song justice and pulled off what would be a very difficult song to sing. I think some Stevie fans feel regret because the song was #1 and so popular. Not sure Stevie could have pulled that off.
I don't know if Heart was necessarily "dead". Both the two previous albums before 1985's Heart album reached the top 40 despite bad reviews and often are considered flops. Someone plz correct me but I think I remember from their autobiography that they decided to leave Epic for Capitol. Any which way it was Capitol who insisted on recorded outside material. These Dreams is a brilliant track and Nancy sings it perfectly. I don't think Stevie would have done this track justice but that's just my opiion.
Old 08-26-2017, 10:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahafan02 View Post
I don't know if Heart was necessarily "dead". Both the two previous albums before 1985's Heart album reached the top 40 despite bad reviews and often are considered flops. Someone plz correct me but I think I remember from their autobiography that they decided to leave Epic for Capitol. Any which way it was Capitol who insisted on recorded outside material. These Dreams is a brilliant track and Nancy sings it perfectly. I don't think Stevie would have done this track justice but that's just my opiion.
Passionworks is a great Heart album (I have the CD) but it was a commercial failure. This is when Heart sort of let record executives take over with giving them songs to sing, giving them a certain 80's Vixen look, etc. It worked. Heart (album) went to #1 and so did These Dreams. I saw an interview with Ann a few years back and they have so much regret. So many of their songs and hits in the 80's and 90's were not their songs. They were really pressured into playing them. They felt they sold out. I think Allies and How can I refuse are 2 of Heart's best songs and ironically they both are on Passionworks. But after that album's release Epic did not have faith in the band. The band blamed Epic for its commercial failure for not promoting the album enough.
But back to point - I have always believed there is a misconception about Stevie's writing by people who are not really fans or maybe casual fans. They believe Stevie writes fairy tales. Her writing is anything but made up happy fairy tales. But this stereotype exists. Her writings are truthful experiences by her or someone close to her. I can completely see why she would pass on These Dreams. My preference is not to hear her sing those bubble gum songs but I do understand there is a fan base for that.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 08-26-2017 at 10:20 AM..
Old 08-26-2017, 12:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love Heart so much. They're probably my second favorite band after Fleetwood Mac. I love all eras of Heart, even though the girls felt the 80s were a sell out. Sure These Dreams may contain some clichés, but I think it's a wonderful song. Nancy did a phenomenal job. I love Ann, but for some reason I really love all the songs Nancy sings lead on. That being said I don't believe anyone but Nancy Wilson could pull it off. However, I wish Stevie would have recorded a demo of it. I think it would be interesting to hear how her version might sound.
Old 08-26-2017, 04:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie didn't get around to rewriting the lyrics? Was she planning on stealing a song writing credit from yet another song. Why I am not surprised?