User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-26-2003, 01:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Stew
Well, the biggest thing they've ever done for me, is toiling thru blood, sweat, and tears to give me decades of incredible music, which has been an integral part of my life for as long as I can remember.

Boxed-sets... DVDs... Meet & Greets.... everything else is merely icing after that.

Corny, but it's the truth.

HELL YEAH! Right on...and there better be at least two more decades of that.
Old 06-26-2003, 01:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My impression was Jake started this as a positive thread. So, I was hoping for positive comments on this thread and that the venting could be achieved on one of the ten or so other threads directly related to venting/bashing.

Yet, the bashing continues . . .

save the cheerleader - save the world

Last edited by strandinthewind; 06-26-2003 at 01:23 PM..
Old 06-26-2003, 01:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation

I honestly didn't mean it as "bashing", I never doubted the music itself is great and that's why I'm here otherwise I wouldn't be. Just stating how I see their lack of interest in their fan base is all. I'm glad for those many here that seem to feel that they do care about their fans.

Sorry if it came out that "negative" way.

John
Old 06-26-2003, 01:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by strandinthewind
My impression was Jake started this as a positive thread. So, I was hoping for positive comments on this thread and that the venting could be achieved on one of the ten or so other threads directly related to venting/bashing.

Thanks for writing this.
When I typed the post, I considered writing that this is an opportunity to point out the good things that the band HAS done. I decided that this message is implied, but apparently I was wrong.

I never said that FM members are saints or anything more than musicians.
I never wrote in this thread that they owe anybody anything.
I wrote that there has been much criticism of the band for not giving more to the fans. Whether they owe or not, I merely ask what they have given.
Many posters have pointed out that Tom Petty, for example, has shown greater appreciation to his fans. Yet nobody is saying he's a saint. And if he is only a musician who owes nothing more to his fans, let's commend him for that. If FM members have done good, let's point it out, and let's commend them, too.
I see nothing "crazy" about asking posters what good things they (or fans they know of) have received.

And Johnny Stew, I happen to agree that the meaningful music has been the greatest gift. Call me corny, too.

- Jake
Old 06-26-2003, 01:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well, the biggest thing they've ever done for me, is toiling thru blood, sweat, and tears to give me decades of incredible music, which has been an integral part of my life for as long as I can remember.

Corny, but it's the truth.
Though I love the music, I'm sorry but, I can't help but think that they create the music more to satisfy themselves, not the fans (other than Stevie) since she's the only one I've ever heard mention that she writes for the fans. But have you ever heard Lindsey, Christine, Mick or John say they create the music for the fans, not to satisfy their own personal egos and tastes.

Not to be negative, because I think that's the way alot of artists work. You have to please yourself before you can please anyone else.

Again, they don't owe me anything. But as someone already mentioned, they just need to show that they care, which I think they have to some extent at the concerts. Lindsey and Stevie interacting with the fans and signing autographs etc. Even Mick gave back stage passes away to a fan. It's not alot but at least its something.

"Hearts will break with choices we must
make, so sleep and dream of me."
- LB
Old 06-26-2003, 01:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by wetcamelfood
I honestly didn't mean it as "bashing", I never doubted the music itself is great and that's why I'm here otherwise I wouldn't be. Just stating how I see their lack of interest in their fan base is all. I'm glad for those many here that seem to feel that they do care about their fans.

Sorry if it came out that "negative" way.

John
I didn't think your post was negative. You just wrote that you couldn't think of anything for now.

- Jake
Old 06-26-2003, 01:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by darklinensuit
Thanks for writing this.
When I typed the post, I considered writing that this is an opportunity to point out the good things that the band HAS done. I decided that this message is implied, but apparently I was wrong.

I never said that FM members are saints or anything more than musicians.
I never wrote in this thread that they owe anybody anything.
I wrote that there has been much criticism of the band for not giving more to the fans. Whether they owe or not, I merely ask what they have given.
Many posters have pointed out that Tom Petty, for example, has shown greater appreciation to his fans. Yet nobody is saying he's a saint. And if he is only a musician who owes nothing more to his fans, let's commend him for that. If FM members have done good, let's point it out, and let's commend them, too.
I see nothing "crazy" about asking posters what good things they (or fans they know of) have received.

And Johnny Stew, I happen to agree that the meaningful music has been the greatest gift. Call me corny, too.

- Jake
Well, let me say it: Tom Petty is a saint! LOL Honestly, I love the guy to death. Not only does he make fabulous music, but he knows who he is, who he wants to be and he won't compromise any of that for money or feeding the "machine." He is a very admirable man!

As for the Mac, I can't think of anything at the present time. Maybe I'll think of something later.

It isn't that people expect things or feel owed anything, it's that they want to at least be acknowledged for being so dedicated and putting them where they are right now. No one can dispute that without us, they wouldn't be where they are today. They wouldn't be touring, commanding high ticket prices. And because of that, the people that put them in the position they are in now want to be shown gratitude. Maybe do a free show here and there. Don't charge for the fan club. Don't make every move you make into a money-making scheme; just do something once in awhile to show that you're grateful and you know we're out there. Unfortunately, even though the Mac knows that it's the fans who give them money, they also consider us their ball and chain. It's a Catch 22.

Old 06-26-2003, 01:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by AliP
Though I love the music, I'm sorry but, I can't help but think that they create the music more to satisfy themselves, not the fans (other than Stevie) since she's the only one I've ever heard mention that she writes for the fans.
I definitely see your point... I guess I've just always felt that any one of them could have easily hung it up years ago, if they didn't care about reaching people with their music.

Stevie is probably the best example of that, as she nearly killed herself trying to make everyone happy.
One could argue that no one is responsible for her drug addictions but her, and that would definitely be true... but the whole impetus behind doing cocaine in the first place, was to have the energy to continue making music, and performing... to please us.

As musicians, writing, recording, and performing is what they do... so I guess that pretty much becomes a "given thing" in many people's eyes, but for me... and again, as corny as this may be... the music has always been a blessing. So I never expect more than that.
I will admit that I have sometimes wished there would be more frequent releases, or that they'd get off their duffs and release a video compilation... but as long as I have the music, I'm a happy boy.

Last edited by Johnny Stew; 06-26-2003 at 02:07 PM..
Old 06-26-2003, 01:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by dissention
Well, let me say it: Tom Petty is a saint!
Ah yes, St. Thomas of the Heartbreakerian Order. I'd forgotten.

- Jake
Old 06-26-2003, 02:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie posting excerpts from her journal after 9/11 is right up there with connecting and being involved with your fans. And Stevie is using the technology of the Internet to communicate with fans even if it is just one way with her journal and brief Q&A's and with us fans sending her birthday and Christmas greetings. And Mick and JT probably should have taken their que from the Nicksfix...it's slightly interactive without being a rip-off.

But I totally understand Stevie being cautious with her fans, the last thing I want to read about is some crazy fan murdering her and the Net does attract it's fair share of nuts as do celebrities, so both could be a lethal combination...

I always found that the Edge of 17 handshakes during her concert are also very fan interactive, how many other artists have a pre-set section of their concerts that dedicated fans know, that they specifically reserve to shake hands with fans...I'm convinced that's how Stevie got sick during TISL.

I personally hope she continues to be reticent about interacting directly with fans, there is something to be said about distance adding to mystery...look at Greta Garbo.

I've said this before but as fans we're pretty lucky, we have THREE decades of new music from our favorite band. The same can't be said for Beatle fans, fans of the Cars, Queen, Aaliyah, TLC and others...

I remember a man when he said to me
He said, "What do you do?"
I sing...

S. Nicks

Photobucket

www.myspace.com/bellafigura64
Old 06-26-2003, 02:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I definitely see your point... I guess I've just always felt that any one of them could have easily hung it up years ago, if they didn't care about reaching people with their music.

As musicians, writing, recording, and performing is what they do... so I guess that pretty much becomes a "given thing" in many people's eyes... but for me, and again, as corny as this may be, the music has always been a blessing. So I never expect more than that.
I will admit that I have sometimes wished there would be more frequent releases, or that they'd get off their duffs and release a video compilation... but as long as I have the music, I'm a happy boy.
I see your point, Johnny, but (of course! ), I have to put my spin on it.

Anyone of them could've hung it up years ago, but they never would've.

Mick and John never made as much as Stevie, Lindsey, and Chris. The money that they make on the road is what keeps them financially stable, even Stevie said so. I also think that given the time line-up, Mick has always been desperate to keep things going.

Stevie will never give it up for reasons she's explained since the eighties. She loves touching people with her music.

Lindsey doesn't put music out to touch people and that's a fact. His music is his special thing as proven by his hermit-like studio exiles. He did the Dance for money and SYW for money, not touching people. Yeah, the music is unparalleled, but he does it for himself and his enjoyment. However, I'm sure he feels flattered that people love his music.

My point is, they wouldn't have hung it up because it is their career. They've been doing it forever and it's where the money is.

Old 06-26-2003, 02:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Bella Figura
I always found that the Edge of 17 handshakes during her concert are also very fan interactive, how many other artists have a pre-set section of their concerts that dedicated fans know, that they specifically reserve to shake hands with fans...I'm convinced that's how Stevie got sick during TISL.
Not to change the subject, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if that's why she's being a little less physically interactive with the fans on the current tour.

She's probably being very protective of her health this time around, after the difficulties she had on the 'TISL' tour, and also given that this tour is expected to go on for quite some time.
Old 06-26-2003, 02:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well as Glitter mentioned Stevie took the time to talk to me and Louise in Vegas. That was very cool and she actually thanked us for being there. The best thing that FM have done for their fans IMO is bring us the music that we love

Pip
Old 06-26-2003, 02:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by dissention

My point is, they wouldn't have hung it up because it is their career. They've been doing it forever and it's where the money is.
Yes! Exactly.

But, I love 'em anyway.

"Hearts will break with choices we must
make, so sleep and dream of me."
- LB
Old 06-26-2003, 02:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by darklinensuit
I didn't think your post was negative. You just wrote that you couldn't think of anything for now.

- Jake
Jake, yeah I knew you understood but Strandinthewind is the one I though I may have upset (though it was not my intention) after reading this:

Quote:
Originally posted by strandinthewind

Well whoever, I agree with many things that have been said here so I'm glad many of us seem to be on the same wavelength.

John