The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-04-2013, 02:59 AM
Senior Ledgie

I want to thank you, Mrs. Welch, for being active on these forums and conversing with us fans! I like your honesty!

Bob seemed like such a nice guy. Someone you could probably have a good conversation with on just about any topic. I wish I could have met him!
I too think it is unfair that Bob was not inducted into the RRHOF. All his time spent with FM should be acknowledged. He was an influencial member and helped to bring about change within the band!

The only thing I can say is; be persistent!
Get another petition going that we can all sign. Get the word out there. Never give up!

Also,I can't wait to read the book! I hope it get's published soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'msoAfraid95 View Post
Wendy, do you know if the 2 lps that Bob did with the band Paris, were released on cd in the states?
I'm curious about this as well. I hope they get released so I can own copies of them!
At the moment, I have to watch videos so I can listen to the songs. It's frustrating!
Vinyl copies are hard to come by and I don't have a turntable.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Good Gosh! Wendy sure gives the impression that Chris McVie was a tyrant! I did some checking into Bob's feelings on the band. I took another look at his interview with THE PENGUIN (which I'm sure you've all read). This is one of the most candid interviews I've read from Bob. Check it out. Here's a small excerpt:

The "vibeyness" of Mick, John and Chris, all three together, would affect anybody who was in FM...This would be totally separate and apart from any problems that Stevie and Lindsey, for example, were having between themselves as a "couple". Don't forget too, a band is not just a group of friends, but also a business, like a sports team with a specific purpose, so there are PROFESSIONAL jealousies and frictions also.

It's my understanding that Stevie and Lindsey were just on a small "retainer" for a trial period when they first joined FM. Mick, John and Chris at that point had the power to "hire and fire" them. As it became obvious through touring, that Stevie and Lindsey were the real "stars" of the reformed band, I'm sure the 'powertripping" got REAL thick. Stevie, from the very first drew enormous attention and got huge press coverage......she was a natural star. Christine, who had a habit of sarcastically "sniping" at ME when she thought I was trying to "ham it up" on stage, REALLY must have given Stevie some s--t for her "melodramatic" stage antics. Yet these same "antics", and the smoky tension between Stevie and Lindsey was what was helping the band get over big time. Christine, although she had more hit singles than Stevie and Lindsey, got far less attention. People also made fun of Stevie for the very things that were so attractive about her as a performer. Stevie was very "gushing" on stage, exactly the opposite from the much more reserved and ('scuse me) "constipated" English members. The "English members" were also always "pulling rank" on the "new" members, constantly subtly reminding them that THEY were the "original" Fleetwood Mac, THEY knew what Fleetwood Mac was all about, THEY would have final say as to what music got kept etc etc.

So Carol, I think that all of this is what Stevie means when she says her "life was made miserable"....Even after all this time, Mick, John and Chris STILL have EMOTIONAL control over the band. THEY are the true "prima donnas", NOT Stevie or Lindsey in my opinion...

As far as "fun", even in prison, you occasionally have "fun", and of course there were fun times in the S&L band... but the OVERALL vibe was..... miserable and......TENSE. And IN-tense...

Carol, I probably have a ton of "Stevie' stories, but lemme save SOMETHING for my book ! ;-)
Old 11-04-2013, 10:45 PM
Senior Ledgie

Smile FM/Bob interview

Well, there you have it in Bob's own words. Now please tell me you believe me and Bob. As I have said he is the most honest, good natured human being I have ever known in my life. So here it is in his own words. So please quit doubting what I have offered to you over and above this. I care only about Bob's legacy and the true history of Bob Welch, which he deserves not to be deleted from.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:51 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Think again

You don't know a thing about what you say! Steve McD, I don't know who you are but you are definitely not in the know and you
were not there. By the way, you should listen to some of Bob's guitar playing on Bob Welch.com, especially "Hot for Teacher", which is there to hear. You might rethink what you believe.

Last edited by Wendy Welch; 11-04-2013 at 10:56 PM..
Old 11-04-2013, 11:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, I certainly believe Bob regarding his experience in Fleetwood Mac. There is no reason not to.

However, nothing I've ever heard or read would lend me to believe that his experience was the experience that Stevie and Lindsey also had, so I find that whole quote from him is strange, in context. Lindsey and Stevie may have been hired help at first, but Stevie herself has said that if Christine ever thought anything she did on stage was over the top or silly, she never let on. She was probably thinking it, but Stevie never knew. I'm also not sure I would ever describe Mick Fleetwood as reserved.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:56 PM
Senior Ledgie

Smile Lindsey

I know for a fact, that Lindsey came to Bob right after he joined and asked him "how could you stand these people". Bob advised him to stick with the band when he said he wanted to leave and couldn't take it, and Bob told him he would do well, which Lindsey did. There will be more about that in the future book.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post
Well, I certainly believe Bob regarding his experience in Fleetwood Mac. There is no reason not to.

However, nothing I've ever heard or read would lend me to believe that his experience was the experience that Stevie and Lindsey also had, so I find that whole quote from him is strange, in context. Lindsey and Stevie may have been hired help at first, but Stevie herself has said that if Christine ever thought anything she did on stage was over the top or silly, she never let on. She was probably thinking it, but Stevie never knew. I'm also not sure I would ever describe Mick Fleetwood as reserved.
Nothing personal to you WildHearted but I have read many things that lead me to believe Stevie and Lindsey went through similar ordeals with the British triumvirate. I just think they have chosen to keep quite about it, as continuing members of the band. As far as the inner workings of the band, it doesn't matter if it's about the making of Rumours, Tusk, Say You Will, or the EP, fans assume every comment about band infighting is Stevie and Lindsey not getting along. Yeah, they even like to fan those flames themselves, but every comment Stevie has ever made about being put down or not being given much respect as an equal member of the band wasn't always a direct reference to Lindsey mistreating her or not respecting her work. She hasn't always specified who did what when. She's too smart for that. Sure she has said some things about Lindsey's misdeeds, but even when she hasn't named names, he is the one everyone assumes mistreated her during most of her career in Fleetwood Mac. I know that's not true. I can read what people like Bob have said and make different assumptions. I'm not saying your perceptions are wrong, just that fans can come to different conclusions drawing inferences from other's comments, rather than taking every word the bandmembers say as the only view. I don't give Chris a pass just because she has chosen to speak less than the others except John. It gives her a more neutral appearing character than the more colorful Buckingham and Nicks, but I wouldn't put it past her to be as jealous, spiteful, and egotistical as everyone thinks they are. They wear it well, but on Chris it seems like a bad fit to the fans who have read very little about her bad side. Wendy, I am really looking forward to Bob's unique perspective. He has both an insider and outsider view that needs to be shared. I hope you publish his book as soon as you can. God Bless you on your loss.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy Welch View Post
You don't know a thing about what you say! Steve McD, I don't know who you are but you are definitely not in the know and you
were not there.
If you have EARS you really didn't have to be there to form an opinion about the guitar playing or the amount of back up singing that was done.

We may not know what went on behind the scenes, but like it or not, when it comes to things that are a matter of public record (and pun intended), I think fans are going to come to their own conclusions.

Michele
Old 11-05-2013, 02:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
were not there.
Really?

http://fleetwoodmac.net/penguin/qa/bobwelch_qa1.htm

"That's Lindsey playing the "chiming" intro guitars on "Sentimental Lady". He's great to work with, because he has a unique "vision" and he persists and persists until what he's hearing matches his "vision". He's also a fantastic guitar player; I've never seen anybody play with an "index finger" the way he does..."

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 11-05-2013, 02:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
You are so wrong. Much will come out later. But you know NOTHING! about Bob and Christine's relationship. Mick was managing Bob and Chris did it for Mick as far as the Roxy show was concerned, but not his solo albums with Captol. Mick did not manage him at the time of his hits.
People Magazine, May 7, 1979

"Now his follow-up album, Three Hearts, is also platinum and Fleetwood himself is acting as Bob's manager."

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 11-05-2013, 11:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Found these pictures:

Old 11-05-2013, 01:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
Good Gosh! Wendy sure gives the impression that Chris McVie was a tyrant!
I can't believe that this would be news to anyone! Christine gives that impression herself. It's so obvious if you listen to her carefully. It really blows my mind that on this site, she is considered a Saint with no human shortcomings whatesoever. And I do not believe for a minute any of the public excuses as to why she left the band. "Read between her lines" and it's obvious that she was sick of the whole Lindsey/Stevie dynamic (and actually, I can't blame her for that, that has to be a lot to deal with), plus Stevie's back-up singers' (aka her "clique") being involved. It's not that I don't like her, it's just that I don't look at anyone in the band through rose-colored glasses. They are all human, including the perfect Ms. Perfect.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrStevie View Post
Nothing personal to you WildHearted but I have read many things that lead me to believe Stevie and Lindsey went through similar ordeals with the British triumvirate. I just think they have chosen to keep quite about it, as continuing members of the band. As far as the inner workings of the band, it doesn't matter if it's about the making of Rumours, Tusk, Say You Will, or the EP, fans assume every comment about band infighting is Stevie and Lindsey not getting along. Yeah, they even like to fan those flames themselves, but every comment Stevie has ever made about being put down or not being given much respect as an equal member of the band wasn't always a direct reference to Lindsey mistreating her or not respecting her work. She hasn't always specified who did what when. She's too smart for that. Sure she has said some things about Lindsey's misdeeds, but even when she hasn't named names, he is the one everyone assumes mistreated her during most of her career in Fleetwood Mac. I know that's not true. I can read what people like Bob have said and make different assumptions. I'm not saying your perceptions are wrong, just that fans can come to different conclusions drawing inferences from other's comments, rather than taking every word the bandmembers say as the only view. I don't give Chris a pass just because she has chosen to speak less than the others except John. It gives her a more neutral appearing character than the more colorful Buckingham and Nicks, but I wouldn't put it past her to be as jealous, spiteful, and egotistical as everyone thinks they are. They wear it well, but on Chris it seems like a bad fit to the fans who have read very little about her bad side. Wendy, I am really looking forward to Bob's unique perspective. He has both an insider and outsider view that needs to be shared. I hope you publish his book as soon as you can. God Bless you on your loss.
Great points. You can't draw conclusions (that happen to suit your opinions) from things that were NOT said.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrStevie View Post
Nothing personal to you WildHearted but I have read many things that lead me to believe Stevie and Lindsey went through similar ordeals with the British triumvirate. I just think they have chosen to keep quite about it, as continuing members of the band.
Maybe initially. There are two sides to that coin, though. The Brits had every right to pull rank.

Why Stevie and Lindsey worked well with the Brits I suspect is that they had that same sense of grandiosity, that sense of being on a "mystical quest...or appointment to Her Majesty" that the Brits had, to quote Bob. Also, they had each other for a little while. Like with any new situation, they needed time to adjust to each other.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 11-05-2013, 01:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekerj View Post
And I do not believe for a minute any of the public excuses as to why she left the band. "Read between her lines" and it's obvious that she was sick of the whole Lindsey/Stevie dynamic (and actually, I can't blame her for that, that has to be a lot to deal with), plus Stevie's back-up singers' (aka her "clique") being involved.
Yeah, because it's not like she hadn't already publicly retired from the road in 1990 or made it clear in her lyrics that "Time" was going to be her swansong with Fleetwood Mac in 1995.

If anything, I just took her departure in 1998 as wanting to go out on top.

THE Stephen Hopkins