The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-13-2002, 10:55 AM
Senior Ledgie

I just read this thread and was compelled to note that lindsey acted like Brian Wilson.
He tried to sound like Wilson (Tusk), he took control of the group as Wilson did his, was/is a perfectionist like wilson, and he modeled himself as the "tormented artist", a weirdo or sorts, just like Wilson.
Old 09-13-2002, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jeffles
I just read this thread and was compelled to note that lindsey acted like Brian Wilson.
He tried to sound like Wilson (Tusk), he took control of the group as Wilson did his, was/is a perfectionist like wilson, and he modeled himself as the "tormented artist", a weirdo or sorts, just like Wilson.
That may be true to some extent, but it is grossly erroneous to suggest that is all Lindsey has ever tried to do. While he has drawn inspiration from several people, he has tried to be original to a fault. In fact, while recording GOS tracks, he was listening to Bach and Radiohead.

Besides, the question was do you now anyone who tries to act just like Lindsey, not does Lindsey try to act like someone else.
Old 09-13-2002, 11:17 AM
Senior Ledgie

Carneveca,
I was aware of the question, though, the reverse would be more relative. There are some artists such as Peter Buck (REM) and Jerry Cantrell (alice in chains) that model some of the guitar playing after him. However, who would act like Lindsey? Whatever "act" is supposed to mean.....apart from music, are we talking about his style? his clothes, haircut, etc? Aside from great music, he really didn't have "style". He was never a personality like Mick or Stevie, didn't say that much, he didn't dress flashy and he sported a bad hairdo in '84.
I wasn't suggesting all he did was copy wilson either.
Old 09-13-2002, 11:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

That '84 'do was in style then! haha!! And it's not like he looked as wild as the guy from Flock of Seagulls or anything! lmao!!Lindsey's hair has a mind of it's own, it seems!

Lindsey has always tried to be original, so I think he has drawn inspiration from others who were trying to do the same thing.

But as far as a "Lindsey look" I agree, there really isn't one. I think if someone were doing a parody of him based on looks alone, you wouldn't recognize it as him unless you stood him next to a gypsy-girl type!
Old 09-13-2002, 12:32 PM

Jeffles, while you didn't say Lindsey "copied" like Brian Wilson, you're playing semantics because what you said was as follows: "lindsey acted like Brian Wilson. He tried to sound like Wilson (Tusk), he took control of the group as Wilson did his, was/is a perfectionist like wilson, and he modeled himself as the 'tormented artist,' a weirdo or sorts, just like Wilson."

Lindsey does not model himself after a tormented artist; he is a tormented artist. That is not an act. Though he may be happy and married now, he will always have demons. Listen to some of the new songs and you realize that is the case. When he recorded Tusk, he was listening to the B-52s and Talking Heads and other bands of that caliber. Sure, Brian Wilson has always and will always be an influence, but to suggest he became a control freak to emulate Wilson is to ignore that he is naturally a control freak himself.
Old 09-13-2002, 01:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

That's right!
Someone earlier or in another thread said something about Lindsey not having any true angst anymore, and that it was "angst for angst's sake".

I couldn't disagree more.
He ain't a happy camper, baby, and it shows!
He's just one of those people with lots of issues that go way back, and none of us will ever truly know, beyond speculation, what they are.
He is a true tortured artist.
Old 09-13-2002, 03:57 PM
Senior Ledgie

I don't get this whole tormented artist bull**** with him.
Brian wilson had to contend will his brothers in the same band, a controlling father who wanted to halt his creativity, compete with the beatles and a nervous breakdown (or two). He WAS the tormented artist. way before LB did Tusk, Wilson took the beach boys in a totally different direction with the classic Pet Sounds album. An album both Paul McCartney and John Lennon said was better than anything they had done at the time, but was considerably less commercial than earlier stuff. Most critics would tend to think of Tusk as LB's Pet Sounds.
The one thing i would agree with is that he is naturally a control freak himself.
Old 09-13-2002, 04:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't really "get" or totally understand it either, but like I said earlier, I can see, for whatever reason it is there.

Stevie has been writing about how difficult he can be to live and work with from the start, and since none of the other women in his life have been writers, I only have what she says to get a woman's perspective on it.

He's complex, that's for sure.
I think his angst is real.
Old 09-13-2002, 05:31 PM
Senior Ledgie

Location: Minnesota....but really ANYWHERE but HERE.....because it SUCKS!!!
Wink Either that Sulamith...OR..

He's "SPINNING WHEELS"....I think it's a little bit of BOTH frankly

LOL
~alex~*

"Bondage looks good on ya B, the outfits all wrong, but hey"~Faith in 'Enemies'

"Hello, GAY now"~ Willow in 'Triangle'
Old 09-13-2002, 06:16 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
I don't get this whole tormented artist bull**** with him...Most critics would tend to think of Tusk as LB's Pet Sounds.
Well, I'd have to say, who am I to judge if he's tormented or not? It's not like I have ever seen him, nonetheless seen him in an out of the public eye setting. Who am I to even begin to crack the surface of the man? I don't think I have the right to decide if he has angst or not. I can't tell him he does or doesn't.
The only thing I don't understand - where's the need to compare any of LB's work to anyone else's? It's not LB's "Pet Sounds". It's LB's Tusk. He wrote half the album, Brian Wilson did not. When he produced the album, Brian Wilson wasn't in there with him. I think one would get FM fans pissed if they called Rumours "FM's [Beatle's] White Album". Both are comparing apples and oranges and more importantly comparing to bodies of work that shouldn't need to be compared. They stand alone for a reason.
-Brian
Old 09-13-2002, 06:30 PM
Senior Ledgie

I don't know iif he's tormented, maybe he is. But he has played that card for a long time. and if he is tormented, no one knows about it, as opposed to brian wilson's very public meltdown and battles with everyone around him.
as far as comparing tusk to pet sounds, you missed the point brian. i wasn't comparing the merits of either record, i was simply showing how LB's motivation was very similar to that of brian wilson.
Old 09-13-2002, 10:03 PM

Jeffles, at the risk of taking this thread from the sublime to the ridiculous, considering that after all we are arguing about whether someone neither of us knows personally is tormented. Dude, again, go look at the lyrics from the GOS tracks. What do you call Murrow? What do you call Shuffle Riff? Say Goodbye? Someone's Gotta Change Your Mind? Even the Stones cover, Gotta Get Away? The torment is evident in the artistry. Who is anyone to say he is or isn't? All I have is the man's work, and based on that, I say he is a tortured soul.

You made some statements in your original post accusing him of trying to copy Brian Wilson, then you have backtracked a little in every subsequent post. First you say he "acts like," then you say you didn't mean he "copies" (which is silly because "acts like" and "copies" mean the same thing) and then you say Lindsey's motivation "is similar" to Brian Wilson's. Seems to me you're backtracking because you were way out of school. It's OK to admit you made a mistake. No one will hold it against you.
Old 09-26-2002, 02:28 PM
Senior Ledgie

"copied", "acted like" , call it the same--i believe he "acted like" brian wilson. You may not agree, and thats fine. I do give him credit for making good music. As far as taking this thread from the sublime to the ridiculous.....this thread was ridiculous from the start.
Old 09-26-2002, 02:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Talking well.........

Quote:
"this thread was ridiculous from the start.
excuse me! it was just a damn question? you didnt' have to post anything if it was so "ridiculous"!

mimi