The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-14-2014, 07:55 AM
Ledgie

Default After May 27th 2015 - I'm never going to try and see this band again.

I saw them in 2013 at the 02 - really enjoyed the gig and was satisfied that I had achieved something. Christine McVie returned for one song and for a brief few minutes I saw the classic Rumours lineup. I walked out of there very, very happy. Yeah, cause of McVie's absence for the most part there where some songs I love that they didn't play (Everywhere for example)... but I thought I shouldn't be churlish and should just be happy with my lot.

Not long after seeing that gig I heard Christine McVie had rejoined the band permanently and that they would be doing a new, huge historic tour on the back of this. Even though I loved seeing the concert I did and had a great time, I suddenly became dissatisfied with my experience.

By some stroke of luck - I'll be seeing them AGAIN - with McVie back full time in May of next year.

I've decided that will be the last ever time. Looking at the setlist for the new concerts it seems that they will be doing some of the songs I missed in 2013 and I'm very excited about it.

Looking into the future - I think there will be another big tour in 2016/2017 where new tracks from the forthcoming album will be showcased. You can count me out on that one. I personally believe that you don't go and see a band like Fleetwood Mac to hear NEW tracks, you go to hear the OLD ones. Well, I do anyway.

I'm pretty sure it will be a great night in May but it feels like more of a "taking care of unfinished business" thing for me. There won't be a third time.

Anyone here share a similar view?
Old 11-14-2014, 08:18 AM
Junior Ledgie

In a word...'No'.

I appreciate where you're coming from but I'm just too damn stubborn for my own good. You never know what will happen in the future so I just take the opportunity when it presents itself.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:26 AM
Senior Ledgie

If that new album is a good one and you like the music than why not go to a new tour. Than you can hear some new songs and the old hits again... Why not?? These day's the artists seems to go on forever and some off them being in their 70's are still performing (Paul Simon, Art Garfunkel, Neil Diamond, Roger Waters to name a few). I think this band will go on for some more years if everybody stays on board!
Old 11-14-2014, 08:47 AM
Senior Ledgie

As long as CMV is around, I will keep going. If she leaves again, I'd probably stop. I've seen enough of the Lindsey/Stevie show that I don't need to see it again.
Old 11-14-2014, 09:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenStu View Post
I saw them in 2013 at the 02 - really enjoyed the gig and was satisfied that I had achieved something. Christine McVie returned for one song and for a brief few minutes I saw the classic Rumours lineup. I walked out of there very, very happy. Yeah, cause of McVie's absence for the most part there where some songs I love that they didn't play (Everywhere for example)... but I thought I shouldn't be churlish and should just be happy with my lot.

Not long after seeing that gig I heard Christine McVie had rejoined the band permanently and that they would be doing a new, huge historic tour on the back of this. Even though I loved seeing the concert I did and had a great time, I suddenly became dissatisfied with my experience.

By some stroke of luck - I'll be seeing them AGAIN - with McVie back full time in May of next year.

I've decided that will be the last ever time. Looking at the setlist for the new concerts it seems that they will be doing some of the songs I missed in 2013 and I'm very excited about it.

Looking into the future - I think there will be another big tour in 2016/2017 where new tracks from the forthcoming album will be showcased. You can count me out on that one. I personally believe that you don't go and see a band like Fleetwood Mac to hear NEW tracks, you go to hear the OLD ones. Well, I do anyway.

I'm pretty sure it will be a great night in May but it feels like more of a "taking care of unfinished business" thing for me. There won't be a third time.

Anyone here share a similar view?
You and I are on the same plane.

I saw them in 2003, 2009 and 2013 at the O2 with Christine. That last night I felt as though I couldn't be happier. Now the edge is slightly taken off that special night in London, because of this new tour. However, I got tickets to see them at Manchester, and I'll hear all the Christine songs I wanted (even Little Lies!). It was a struggle to get the tickets and they weren't cheap; I'm taking my old roommate who first really got me into FM nearly 20 years ago. I'm tempted, too, to leave things there.
Old 11-14-2014, 09:46 AM
Senior Ledgie

I might have a different view since I am a late bloomer fan....I wasn't even born during the Rumours era and I hit my 30's before REALLY becoming a fan. I had known and listened to both Fleetwood mac and Stevie Nicks before I simply wasn't that big of a fan.

Anyhow....I got to see them in Stockholm in October 2013 and that was an amazing experience. For several days afterwards I was walking around with this bittersweet feeling. The excitement of having attended the show and that sad feeling....almost a feeling of loss....due to the fact that they are not getting any older and it might as well could have been their last tour. So at the same time as I was so thrilled about having had the opportunity to see them live (at 5th row) I was also jealous of all the fans that had had the chance of being a part of music releases, several tours, Stevie releasing solo work.....all those things that I thought I would never get to experience as a fan.

So I promised myself that I would try to go to as many shows as possible if they ever did tour again and I am sticking to that promise!
Old 11-14-2014, 09:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I've held off going to see the Mac for 12 years now. Unlike you, though I AM waiting for a new album. I'm not interested in hearing the same old hits. That's what the radio & my music collection is for. I need freshness in the setlist to make me ever care to empty my pockets for this band again. Even significantly mixing up the set with lesser known album tracks & b-sides would do the trick for me. I don't even like hearing songs such as Don't Stop, Go Your Own Way, and Rhiannon on the radio anymore... they're just so tired. Why would I pay $200+ to hear them performed increasingly poorly live?
Old 11-14-2014, 10:09 AM
Ledgie

Oh I'm sure I will like the new album!

Another thing I should have mentioned is that getting to a concert (I'm speaking for me) is a very difficult trick to pull off successfully. Both times I've managed to secure tickets to Fleetwood Mac have not been easy tasks at all. They're not cheap - and the venue isn't exactly just "up the road" from where I live.

If I DID see the band a third time - IF - then it would have to be because someone else got the tickets and offered me one. I feel the stress of making attendance to a concert happen is not worth usually going through twice for the same artist. Like I said, the only reason I've made this effort with the Mac is because Christine McVie is back. If it was the same line up as last time I wouldn't have done it.

Generally speaking if I'm going to go through it again I would rather see someone I've not seen before. The next band I want to see is Toto, and I wouldn't mind seeing Foo Fighters or Faith No More either.

Stress, inconvenience and money are all major factions in this kind of decision making!
Old 11-14-2014, 10:09 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
I've held off going to see the Mac for 12 years now. Unlike you, though I AM waiting for a new album. I'm not interested in hearing the same old hits. That's what the radio & my music collection is for. I need freshness in the setlist to make me ever care to empty my pockets for this band again. Even significantly mixing up the set with lesser known album tracks & b-sides would do the trick for me. I don't even like hearing songs such as Don't Stop, Go Your Own Way, and Rhiannon on the radio anymore... they're just so tired. Why would I pay $200+ to hear them performed increasingly poorly live?
You are not alone !
Old 11-14-2014, 10:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I must be a outcast here.

Stevie that brought me to FM.I will go and see FM in whatever carnation they will be until I die.

I would not go overboard and condemn any band or artist I enjoy because they dont record new tunes or tour anymore.

Thats how I feel about it.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 11-14-2014, 11:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfanforever View Post
I must be a outcast here.

Stevie that brought me to FM.I will go and see FM in whatever carnation they will be until I die.

I would not go overboard and condemn any band or artist I enjoy because they dont record new tunes or tour anymore.

Thats how I feel about it.
I agree! I will always go see them whenever I can they are so worth it me! Of course I want a new album but if they dont make another one then oh well. Just the fact that they are in their 60's and 70's and are still touring is so amazing to me. I have no complaints at all. I just love their music so much.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

(as with most people on here, I'm sure) Fleetwood Mac are an addiction. The next hit might not be as good as the last but I'm always going to be back for more, no matter what. Would prefer a fresher set list- either more deep cuts or new songs but if not, that's okay.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kak125 View Post
I agree! I will always go see them whenever I can they are so worth it me! Of course I want a new album but if they dont make another one then oh well. Just the fact that they are in their 60's and 70's and are still touring is so amazing to me. I have no complaints at all. I just love their music so much.
I agree.We are soooooo lucky they are still touring.Now even Chris is back in the picture.I'm making up for lost time when I missed out of the 1970's and early 1980's tours.

I know they cant tour forever but I soak every show in.

Old 11-14-2014, 01:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I minds as will say I quit going to country concerts.The new country artists and their so called country music does not appeal to me but I'll go to any classic country artists or band concerts if they come my way.

Emmylou Harris,Dolly Parton and Loretta Lynn to name a few from a list of many.

I will continue to go see FM even if they do rap ..LOL...............

Old 11-14-2014, 03:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The prospect of a new Fleetwood Mac album seems to be in jeopardy. Aside from this ever expanding and never ending tour of greed, Stevie's ambivalence is a stunning insult to the band and fans. And time, inevitably, is not on their side.

Even if they manage to make and tour with a new album, the set list won't change much. They are so tentative with new material; maybe four new songs will be performed, and at least one will be dropped before the tour ends. I have hard time being at peace with on how restrictive, rote, stagnant and uninspired their set lists have become, even though they have surprised us with some minor alterations.

Other bands I love create unique set lists for each of their tours, featuring deep cuts, a healthy amount of new material, and a handful of their hits.
Fleetwood Mac is just doesn't have that kind of nimbleness. Because they have three singer/songwriters, they have to achieve a balance between them. Aside from that, they have a lot of hits and standards they feel they required to play. This mindset leaves little wiggle room. It's like they are performing the same play every time they tour, with very minor scene and script changes. When Stevie proclaims the set list is set in stone, she's stating the obvious par for course.

Look at a band like Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. They have a lot of signature hits, but they don't glut their sets with the same songs in the same sequence over and over. They'll play inspired covers, deep tracks, and some select hit songs. No one leaves their shows bitching about the set. "I paid a lot of money and they didn't play the songs I wanted to hear! No "Free Fall" I'm so pissed off." Their fans come for a show, not a greatest hits album.

I realize this is a somewhat unfair comparison; group dynamics and demographics vary vastly among bands and their fans.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 11-14-2014 at 05:37 PM..