Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-15-2010, 05:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Question Stevie's Heratige?

Ok, I've been really interested in finding about Stevie's ethnic background. I have known for a while that she has German roots, but I did not know this:

At the very end of the show, she said "One more bit of trivia... Like, half my family is from Colorado, and my great-great-grandmother crossed the desert leading into Colorado to come here... and she was the only survivor of a huge Indian massacre! So now you know that."

This was written into a review for a Show she did for the Enchanted Tour.
So what do you think, do you think she has Native roots?

If you have any info, please add
Old 10-15-2010, 08:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think on this board once, someone mentioned Scottish ancestry..
Old 10-15-2010, 11:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think Stevie must have some kind of Native American and/or Latin American blood in her somewhere. Undoubtedly she is a mutt, and it's entirely possible that she has German and/or Scottish roots as well. But she is a bit of an enigma. And her decidedly unusual, non-ethnic surname does not help matters either. Any ideas on where the name "Nicks" originated?

Interestingly there seem to be both caucasian and black "Nickses" in the U.S., which leads me to assume that there must have been a slave-owning Nicks (a southern farmer perhaps?) way in the past, which would seem to suggest European origin. So if there is anything non-European in her makeup, it would probably have to come from Barbara's side of the family. I think Barbara looks vaguely Latina...

Old 10-15-2010, 12:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I heard somewhere else her family was Episcopalian, so she could easily be something from the British Isles :giveup:

You can add me on Facebook
Old 10-15-2010, 03:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

As far as surname meanings and origins, here's the Nicks entry at ancestry.com, which provides information like name distribution, place of origin, immigration year, occupations, etc. And I'm pretty sure Barbara's maiden name is Meeks, so here's the Meeks entry.

According to the site, Nicks is a German name, and most of the Nicks clans came to America from English and German ports. Meeks is an English name, and most of the Meeks left from English and Irish ports.

Stevie's said that the Nicks side emigrated from Cologne, Germany and ended up in Colorado. Also, she was also raised Episcopalian, so she's probably got some English in her. Other than that, I have no idea. I'm sure both families have mixed and matched with different ethnicities since arriving. It wouldn't be America otherwise!
Old 10-15-2010, 04:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowi View Post
Ok, I've been really interested in finding about Stevie's ethnic background. I have known for a while that she has German roots, but I did not know this:

At the very end of the show, she said "One more bit of trivia... Like, half my family is from Colorado, and my great-great-grandmother crossed the desert leading into Colorado to come here... and she was the only survivor of a huge Indian massacre! So now you know that."

This was written into a review for a Show she did for the Enchanted Tour.
So what do you think, do you think she has Native roots?

If you have any info, please add
I think maybe you got this backwards. At first blush, it appears to me that what she meant was that she was with a band of white people who were attacked by the Native Americans, and her great great grandmother was the only survivor of that.

P.S. - How's THIS for WILD though??? I got curious once too and looked it up on one of the Geneology sites. Don't quote me on the exact details, but the general idea is that her family was from an area called "Buckingham." (My memory's hazy here though - maybe it was more like there were several families "seated in the area" - and one of them was named "Buckingham." SOME sort of crazy, wild coincidence like that - I seem to remember that it was a region either where they lived, or quite close by.) The name, by the way, actually may have started out as "Nick's son" - so - yeah - she MAY be distantly related to Richard Nixon. (The site deliberately mentioned that "Nixon" has the same roots.)
Interestingly enough, it said that the Nicks/Nickson family "was seated in the area from ancient times" - there's a family crest and motto and everything. So in other words, Stevie really is descended from "Nobility" - a concept I'm sure she would love! LOL!

Last edited by Ghost_Tracker; 10-15-2010 at 04:32 PM..
Old 10-15-2010, 04:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_Tracker View Post
I think maybe you got this backwards. At first blush, it appears to me that what she meant was that she was with a band of white people who were attacked by the Native Americans, and her great great grandmother was the only survivor of that.

P.S. - How's THIS for WILD though??? I got curious once too and looked it up on one of the Geneology sites. Don't quote me on the exact details, but the general idea is that her family was from an area called "Buckingham." (My memory's hazy here though - maybe it was more like there were several families "seated in the area" - and one of them was named "Buckingham." SOME sort of crazy, wild coincidence like that - I seem to remember that it was a region either where they lived, or quite close by.) The name, by the way, actually may have started out as "Nick's son" - so - yeah - she MAY be distantly related to Richard Nixon. (The site deliberately mentioned that "Nixon" has the same roots.)
Interestingly enough, it said that the Nicks/Nickson family "was seated in the area from ancient times" - there's a family crest and motto and everything. So in other words, Stevie really is descended from "Nobility" - a concept I'm sure she would love! LOL!
That's interesting! The Nicks-Nicks son-Nixon connection is entirely plausible. And there is an uncanny resemblence between Richard Nixon and Jess Nicks:

They share that bulbous nose; even Stevie has a little bulb-ette nose. Same with those ears! I mean, check out the batwings on little Dumbo, er, Chris!

Last edited by HejiraNYC; 10-15-2010 at 04:46 PM..
Old 10-15-2010, 05:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post

They share that bulbous nose; even Stevie has a little bulb-ette nose. Same with those ears! I mean, check out the batwings on little Dumbo, er, Chris!
I think you're on to something.

“Remember, in the grand scheme of things, what we do for a living is not very important. After all, we’re not curing cancer here.” - John McVie
http://goldduststevie.tumblr.com/
Old 10-15-2010, 06:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I always assumed she was Scottish.

Regarding her religion, I know she was Catholic at some point because she was a beheaded monk.

- Jake
Old 10-15-2010, 08:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I read her family history somewhere...

Also there is a huge German/Mexican population in the SouthWest US. Her dad's. Name was JESUS, she haw an Aunt Carmen and Aunt Carmel. Linda Ronstadt has this heritage...as did my ex. Her mom had dark eyes and her dads were blue...common for a peticular in area from Mexico/Southwest/South America. I also read of her Scottish heritage and Danish.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^^
About that, is her fathers name really Jesus?
If so, Jess must be his nickname
Old 10-15-2010, 09:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yup. Jesus. His dad was Aaron Jesus. I'm not sure of the origin of the name Aaron but its common among Germans and those that are Jewish. And from that area. So...it just makes me wonder...also I know Stevie often puts on a Latin accent...and at her 42nd birthday party she ate Mexican food...and she asked and ordered in terms that most people of Spanish culture would know. I forgot about that.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:08 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaidSomething View Post
also I know Stevie often puts on a Latin accent...and at her 42nd birthday party she ate Mexican food...and she asked and ordered in terms that most people of Spanish culture would know. I forgot about that.
I think I once heard that Stevie did a show in New Mexico... which is almost totally like the OLD Mexico, known as Mexico!! And people speak Spanish there and everything!
Old 10-15-2010, 10:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeA View Post
I think I once heard that Stevie did a show in New Mexico... which is almost totally like the OLD Mexico, known as Mexico!! And people speak Spanish there and everything!
Luke.

I'm on my phone in an emergency room waiting area.

Actually, never mind. Descriptions and thoughts that go into writing them are lacking right now.

So is the kindness in many...

But you ARE right...

always.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_Tracker View Post
P.S. - How's THIS for WILD though??? I got curious once too and looked it up on one of the Geneology sites. Don't quote me on the exact details, but the general idea is that her family was from an area called "Buckingham."
I always found it interesting that Lucille Ball's middle name was Desiree, considering she married a Desi.

I think Stevie's father was named Jess Nicks. Middle name began with an "S." I don't think Jess was short for Jesus.

Looking at a family tree for Aaron Jess Nicks (the grandfather -- I don't think the middle name is actually Jesus), I see he died in August 1974. His wife was Effie. His parents were Johnathan Nicks and Fannie Lida Newton. His paternal grandparents were Anderson T. Nicks and Mary Ann Wilkins. The "Nicks" lineage goes back to Kent and then Sussex, England (in the 1400s). Hey, Christine and Stevie might have the same ancestors!

They do have some of the ancestors listed as "Nix Nicks," so probably those surnames were interchanged at some point. And any time you got a father and son walking around in those days, you would just call the son, Nick's son. So, I think the link to Nixon and Nickson is very likely.

Now, on Aaron's mother's side, the tree doesn't go back that far. Mary Ann's mother and father were Jonathan Wilks and Susanna Black and that maternal line came from North Carolina, Texas and Georgia.

Michele