User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-28-2023, 12:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default 64,791 people watching Fleetwood Mac live

I was cleaning and reorganizing at home and found my Fleetwood Mac Cds (the only CDs I still kept are the FM ones, the other hundreds were ripped and gone to recycle bins long ago).

So I was watching the Live CD book and reading the shows list, and the largest attendance numbers caught my attention.

Tusk: 2 concerts in New Zealand, each with 30,000 souls (different cities). And the Munich show with 30,000 people too. No UK or US concert reached 30,000 per night; though some US were close to. However 8 consecutive nights in London Wembley arena were 8,000 each, so we could consider 48,000 different people. Same as LA in december '79, that adds up 51,000 people (they were back in sep. '80, 17,000 souls but since was another year, maybe there were repeated attendants).

So I looked for other tours data in the web.

About Rumours, I just found the wikipedia page about the tour. If numbers are correct (couldn't confirm in te source pages), the largest number the shows in Boulder, CO (61,500) and Oakland, CA (57,500). This includes the Penguin Summer Country Safari 1978 leg.

The 1975 tour has 3 shows with more than 50,000 people: Oakland, Denver and Foxborough (weird comparing with Tusk numbers). I doubted that Fleetwood Mac could summon several tens of thousands people for a exclusive show since they were just starting to be quite successful. But maybe some ledgies here have more info about it. However the crowdest registered show was Foxborough, MA with 64,791 people. This could be the biggest audience, at least registered, of all tours. But it doesn't specify if it was part of a festival or something like that. Two California dates do have a comment they were part of a "Day on the Green" where they shared with Dave Mason, Peter Frampton, etc.

The Reunion tour (The Dance) has partial info in wikipedia page. The largest registered number there is in Melbourne (53,072). Though they played in Wembley stadium (not arena) but no numbers specified (since it was a stadium, it could be a very large number).

Couldn't find numbers for the Mirage and Tango (Shake the Cage) tours. Probably there are sources like Billboard that have more data, but I guess you have to $ubscribe first.