User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-17-2009, 04:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina View Post
Ah, Silver Springs is the lure that got me into this crazy fandom. Specifically, the live Dance version. I kept channel surfing and getting the concert at the exact moment when Stevie turns to Lindsey and rails about him "never getting away." Drama! Passion! Romance! Stalkerdom! My kind of world.
Me too. The night it originally aired my dad was watching their Behind the Music and kept prattling on about Rumours. I, of course, being an ever so wise 19 year old, dismissed the thought that my father could possibly have good taste in music. I'd heard of FM, but I basically only remebered Little Lies and told my dad he was watching the barn people. I left for the evening and when I got home I couldn't sleep. I turned on VH1 and Silver Springs started. I though oh this is a nice quiet song, should help me sleep. Then the woman with the long blond hair got angry, and the man playing the guitar looked scared. I was hooked. I watched the rest of the Dance and it suddenly occured to me that I knew all these songs, and they were all from the same band?! Blew my mind, and the rest is an expensive history.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
Me too. The night it originally aired my dad was watching their Behind the Music and kept prattling on about Rumours. I, of course, being an ever so wise 19 year old, dismissed the thought that my father could possibly have good taste in music. I'd heard of FM, but I basically only remebered Little Lies and told my dad he was watching the barn people. I left for the evening and when I got home I couldn't sleep. I turned on VH1 and Silver Springs started. I though oh this is a nice quiet song, should help me sleep. Then the woman with the long blond hair got angry, and the man playing the guitar looked scared. I was hooked. I watched the rest of the Dance and it suddenly occured to me that I knew all these songs, and they were all from the same band?! Blew my mind, and the rest is an expensive history.
This is one of the coolest stories I have ever heard! The barn people--now that's funny!
Old 07-18-2009, 12:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
Then the woman with the long blond hair got angry, and the man playing the guitar looked scared.
And that, my friends, is what Fleetwood Mac is all about for me at the end of the day. I have grown to adore all the pre-Rumours stuff and each member's solo endeavors, but there's something extra poignant in the thing that first catches your eye... and, in my case, rattles your view on something colassal.
Old 07-18-2009, 12:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Viv-- post your favorites! Or am I blind and missing your post?
Old 07-18-2009, 12:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellaaarisen View Post
Viv-- post your favorites! Or am I blind and missing your post?
You're not blinded by the light. Wrecked up like a duece in the middle of the night. I'm still going over in my mind which sogs to list. BTW welcome home from your trip.
Old 07-18-2009, 01:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
You're not blinded by the light. Wrecked up like a duece in the middle of the night. I'm still going over in my mind which songs to list. BTW welcome home from your trip.
Making my list was so difficult-- every time I cut another song from my 15+ options, I felt like I was betraying the words and melodies that I love so much.

And I'm not quite home yet-- I just finally found access to a computer. Thank you, though! It'll be so nice to be home on Sunday.
Old 07-18-2009, 01:46 PM
Junior Ledgie

Default FAVOURITE Fleetwood Mac songs?

By Stevie it would be Sara as my Dad had the single when it was released and I have loved it ever since I first heard it. Gypsy is a very close second.

By Christine it would be Songbird with perhaps Over & Over second. Wonderfully heartfelt simple love songs which I have listened to on repeat when I've been in love.

I don't really have a favourite Lindsey in the same way - though I love all his spiky little songs on Tusk..
Old 07-18-2009, 04:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macpai View Post
Def. understand the purist thing, but even though I really love the original blues peeps, I love myself some blues rock as well. Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs is prob. my fave album of all time and I love hearing Peter Green wail away, he's a master. The blues is such a malleable form, you can turn it into almost anything. I'd prob. even get into opera under blues circumstances.
My issue is that I just don't like rock that much, especially hard rock, which is what TPO amounts to. I remember one time I posted on here that I liked Steely Dan and wondered why no one here ever mentioned them - the only reply I remember is from someone who said they were a "pussified" band or something along those lines.
Old 07-18-2009, 05:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by markolas View Post
My issue is that I just don't like rock that much, especially hard rock, which is what TPO amounts to. I remember one time I posted on here that I liked Steely Dan and wondered why no one here ever mentioned them - the only reply I remember is from someone who said they were a "pussified" band or something along those lines.
I used to like those guys. Christine mentioned on TV in 1990 that her favorite album was GAUCHO, & that's the Steely album I know best, too.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 07-18-2009, 10:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by markolas View Post
The music of Steely Dan had a huge impact on my life, especially in the 1970's.
"The sparkle of your China and the shine of your Japan"
Old 07-18-2009, 10:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The music of Steely Dan had a huge impact on my life, especially in the 1970's.
"The sparkle of your China and the shine of your Japan"
Ditto. Anyone who can't at the VERY LEAST appreciate Steely Dan has no business talkin' about music, if you ask me
Old 07-18-2009, 10:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellaaarisen View Post
Ditto. Anyone who can't at the VERY LEAST appreciate Steely Dan has no business talkin' about music, if you ask me
It's funny how much you love the music from my generation and how much I love the music from your generation.
Old 07-19-2009, 02:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It's funny how much you love the music from my generation and how much I love the music from your generation.
So true. I love a lot of new music, too-- it just pales in the shadow (heh) of the older stuff. I'm a bit of a music fiend so I can give you 5 good artists in just about every genre from the past 50 years, but I definitely prefer 70's stuff.

My music section from Facebook:

Fleetwood Mac, Stevie Nicks, Ryan Adams (& the Cardinals), Arcade Fire, Beirut, Metric, Explosions in the Sky, Bon Iver, Led Zeppelin, Jose Gonzalez, Radiohead, Animal Collective, Panda Bear, TV on the Radio, Wilco, Horse Feathers, Wolf Parade, Bob Dylan, Rocky Votolato, Architecture in Helsinki, Damien Rice, Chad Van Gaalen, Isis, Iron & Wine, Andrew Bird, Of Montreal, Isis, Girl Talk, White Stripes, Streetlight Manifesto, Guided By Voices, Heart, Modest Mouse, Neil Young, The National, The Who, Neutral Milk Hotel, The Smiths, Okkervil River, Pink Floyd, Pixies, Television, Brian Jonestown Massacre, Andy McKee, M.I.A., Yeah Yeah Yeahs, The Doors, David Bowie, Devendra Banhart, Santogold, Regina Spektor, Rocco deLuca and the Burden, David Ford, Seabear, Interpol, the Shins, Grateful Dead, Snow Patrol, U2, Sufjan Stevens, Ugly Casanova, Dario Marianelli, Vampire Weekend, Velvet Underground, the Weepies, Whiskeytown, Without Gravity... to list a few.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I used to like those guys. Christine mentioned on TV in 1990 that her favorite album was GAUCHO, & that's the Steely album I know best, too.
I remember hearing about that, now that you mention it.

Aja and Gaucho are both probably in my favorite Top 25 albums ever, but I was listening to them recently for the first time in a while, and I think Aja has a slight edge. But it's close. Those are definitely their best albums.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I only like about 5% of "today's" music. Please take me back to the '60s/'70s!

Just for fun, I'll post my artists list from my Music section of Facebook too:
Fleetwood Mac, Stevie Nicks, The Eagles (those are my top 3 - now they're just alphabetical):
Aerosmith, Allman Brothers, Bad Company, David Gilmour, Derek & the Dominos, Doobie Brothers, Eric Clapton, Foreigner, Heart, James Taylor, Journey, Lindsey Buckingham, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones, Tom Petty.

^That's seriously all that I listen to. My friends don't quite get the same enjoyment of the kind of music that I like. They like rap songs that are 3 minutes even with a catchy beat. They would never listen to a 13 minute jam by, say, the Allman Brothers. I don't think most people have the attention span to appreciate truly good music anymore.