User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-15-2010, 03:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolaj View Post
For me, it was seeing Stevie perform 'Rhiannon' on 'The Midnight Special', I think it was 1976. For some reason, the 'under-my-thumb' parents were either out late, or asleep, and I saw that performance and was just blown away, to say the least. My pre-teen self was sure I was seeing into the future. It was my first real glimpse, in performance, at a woman I was certain was going to be a huge, huge star. I just knew at that young age that her music would always matter to me.
I lived for the live 'Rhiannons' that would play on FM radio in the 70s afterwards, and I must not have been the only one, 'cause by '78 (after 'Rumours') it was more common to hear a live 'Rhiannon' on WPLR or WCCC in CT than it was to hear the studio version. This was years before the official Fleetwood Mac Live lp was released with a good, but nowhere as near magical live, later 'Rhiannon'.
There was the simple moon/tree backdrop televised; Stevie's vocals so raw and wild, and her visual impact- I was hooked immediately. Mostly, it was the intensity of her performance and the voice. I thought Lindsey was fantastic on guitar and vocals, too.
I like Stevie's current voice fine, but I surely do miss the intensity that Stevie had on stage from the '70s til... oh, about 1986...right after Betty Ford, it left her. She still sings well, but her performances just have never been the same. She seemed so 'into' her time on stage for that decade, like she was in her own world and loving it and living for it as much as we did.
It may not even have to do with any drugs during that time period. Maybe it was inevitable for it to become less of a thrill to perform, and more of a job.
I think the early years when she knows that she is becoming a big deal,and she was hungry for it, with her singing so wild and fearless are just beautiful moments to revisit.
Time doesn't stand still, and I still like her onstage. But back then, oh my!
I wonder if it's possible if she may become 'hungry for it' again--I hope so!

Agreed, excellent post. It pretty much describes what Stevie Nicks is to me, and always will be, even if music may have become a job for her...though I don't believe it.

Stevie Nicks first got me hooked. It was, now, almost 2 years ago, and I was watching School of Rock with my cousin. One more pseudo-rock-kid-movie, I thought back then, until that moment in the bar, where Edge of Seventeen's playing. Immediatly, I noticed the catchy guitar riff, and the "ooh-ooh-oohs". I was in Serbia, at that time of the year, and went back home only 2 months later, but I hadn't forget the song. So, I searched it, found it, and it was still cool. But what really hooked me was the live performance I saw on youtube, later. It was from the HBO live concert, and that's where I recognize what Nikolaj described. It was huge. The fact that she cried, at the end of the song, really bumped me : it was heartfelt and powerful, and probably one of the best performances I have seen. Then, Rhiannon came, and i'll always remember those two songs as the beginning of my "fandom" =)
And, ironically, now, School of Rock is one of my favorite movies. (not very objective !)
Old 05-15-2010, 07:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Actually, "none of the above".

I was a Peter Green fan before Fleetwood Mac even existed.
Really? You'd never told us that before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolaj View Post
I like Stevie's current voice fine, but I surely do miss the intensity that Stevie had on stage from the '70s til... oh, about 1986...right after Betty Ford, it left her. She still sings well, but her performances just have never been the same. She seemed so 'into' her time on stage for that decade, like she was in her own world and loving it and living for it as much as we did.
It may not even have to do with any drugs during that time period. Maybe it was inevitable for it to become less of a thrill to perform, and more of a job.
I think the early years when she knows that she is becoming a big deal,and she was hungry for it, with her singing so wild and fearless are just beautiful moments to revisit.
Time doesn't stand still, and I still like her onstage. But back then, oh my!
I wonder if it's possible if she may become 'hungry for it' again--I hope so!
This is perfect. She brought back some of that spark on the Enchanted tour, and even switched up ye olde setlist. That was exciting, but didn't last. Their complete lack of spontaneity (not to mention missing a very! important member) is what disappoints me the most about the Mac today.

Stevie, too. I think the self-indulgent lifestyle is what fueled those performances, much as the thrill of being onstage played a part. Being so into every performance meant she could be so into herself. She could do a line, come out onstage, live out her art for as long as she wanted, and who would stop her? Her time at Betty Ford showed her exactly what that lifestyle did to her and FOR her, which, money and fame aside, wasn't much. Living a self-centered life is no way to live, and that's why it feels like everything she does onstage now is for the benefit of the show, not for herself.

Why did I even write so much. You're convinced.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldustsongbird View Post
Their complete lack of spontaneity (not to mention missing a very! important member) is what disappoints me the most about the Mac today.
Me too, Lisa. These days, I prefer to remember them in their heyday. If Chris were still in it, of course I'd still be interested, but without her(the only one who has any singing range left), they are lame. I appreciate Lindsey's energy, but that's not enough to sustain it for me.

Long live Fleetwood Mac, from 1967-1997!
Old 05-16-2010, 12:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Lindsey. Totally and completely. I wouldn't even care about FM if it weren't for him.

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." ~ JL
Old 05-16-2010, 01:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
Lindsey. Totally and completely. I wouldn't even care about FM if it weren't for him.
He's the only GIFT they have left.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Me too, Lisa. These days, I prefer to remember them in their heyday. If Chris were still in it, of course I'd still be interested, but without her(the only one who has any singing range left), they are lame. I appreciate Lindsey's energy, but that's not enough to sustain it for me.

Trying to imagine how different FM's shows would be if Chris was still with them. Probably much like the Dance, only she would look more bored. Right now, I'd only go to see them if the tickets were good and cheap, just to say I saw Stevie (and John!) in person.

Just my luck they'd break out the cardboard John for that one night.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

People don't get why I don't like SYW even when I explain the lack of Christine. Without her it's just never going to be the same. I was going to go to Unleashed but couldn't. Having seen the videos, I'm glad. As much as I love her, seeing Stevie sing Chris' songs would have broken my heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldustsongbird
Just my luck they'd break out the cardboard John for that one night.
I propose a cardboard Christine!!

Oh Yeah Christine McVie | Tumblr
Old 05-16-2010, 07:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldustsongbird View Post

You must have had my posts on "ignore" or something because I throw that out ever chance I've had...and more.

Ok, one more time for posterity...

I became smitten with Eric Clapton's guitar playing on John Mayall's "Beano" album (I was 10 yrs old)...a few months later when I read that Clapton had left to form some band called CREAM, I wondered who could take his place in Mayall's band...that's when I discovered Peter Green on Mayall's Hard Road album (@ age 11). He sounded so good, but so different, from Eric that I was quite taken by his playing, too. Wasn't long until I'd heard that Peter Green had formed some band called Fleetwood Mac (rock news wasn't as easy to come by out here in California...news didn't quite travel so fast in the late '60s). On a late night show on an "underground" FM station, they played "Black Magic Woman" and a couple of other Fleetwood Mac songs...I wasn't quite "hooked", but my interest was "piqued". Wasn't long before I kept hearing "Black Magic Woman" on the radio...a slightly different version, but I never could catch who it was by, I just thought Fleetwood Mac had recorded another version...but, no, that was Santana. Didn't hear much from Fleetwood Mac again until the same FM station played "Oh Well"...OMFG!! When the song was over and the DJ said "Fleetwood Mac", I WAS hooked....line, sinker, the whole damned trauler!! (of course, it wasn't long until Clapton released the Layla album and sucked me back in, so I had this "trio of guitar Gods" reality happening, since I'd also just been turned on to this band from Georgia called "The Allman Brothers Band", as well..and Duane Allman was the third part of the Guitar God Trinity.)

So, despite what you might assume by reading the above, I AM more of a "band" person...a fan of "the band" more than any one individual IN the band...when I'd read that Peter had left, but the band was going to carry on, I couldn't wait to hear how they'd sound without him...then came Kiln House...yep, there's "life after Green" after all. Just cemented my "Fleetwood Mac" fandom over being just a "Peter Green" fan...which I still am to this day, as well. And, as the personnel changes in FMac kept happening, it was just another day in Fleetwood Mac-ville for me...ok, let's hear how they sound with the new person. The "fame & fortune" of the Rumours era really put a damper on things...yay, they're finally famous, but as time went on, they just seemed to stagnate. Then the longer breaks between albums & tours in the '80s just infuriated me...S&L got the blame since they appeared to be the cause...when Lindsey left, I breathed a sigh of relief, thinking that Fleetwood Mac would once again become a full-time band...but, no, they had to "wait for Stevie's solo career"...just pissed me off, so when Stevie finally left (and unfortunately took Christine with her, in my eyes), again, I was looking forward to Fleetwood Mac becoming a full-time band once again. But, no. The Dance reunion was nice to see, but I thought it basically signalled the end...and for all intents, itwas. One good 2nd Buckingham Nicks album in 2003, but that just was it for me...out of which my new motto (paraphrasing some old Medieval Englishman)...

"Fleetwood Mac is dead; long live Fleetwood Mac"

Last edited by chiliD; 05-16-2010 at 07:35 PM..
Old 05-16-2010, 08:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

"Fleetwood Mac is dead; long live Fleetwood Mac"
Yep Steve, that's how I feel. It's 1980, in my FM book. Unless Chris came back, I couldn't care less WHAT they do now. I mainly stay here, for the Ledge/FM family that I found some 14 years ago(I'm trying to remember when I got my first computer, and found alt.music.fleetwoodmac. Sometime around 1995/96). I'll just revel in my memories of them....
Old 05-16-2010, 10:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yep Steve, that's how I feel. It's 1980, in my FM book. Unless Chris came back, I couldn't care less WHAT they do now. I mainly stay here, for the Ledge/FM family that I found some 14 years ago(I'm trying to remember when I got my first computer, and found alt.music.fleetwoodmac. Sometime around 1995/96). I'll just revel in my memories of them....
I just keep hoping (wishing & praying) that if/when they release this supposedly new album, it's going to knock my socks off (which would be tough since I don't WEAR socks, in the first place)....but, at the same time, that's fruitless because my expectation level, by the friggin' time they ever DO record & release the album, will be unreachably high. Which is what happened with Say You Will...nothing they could've done would've pleased me by the time it came out (especially since 90% of Lindsey's material I'd already been listening to for 5 years due to the GOS leak)...it's just a wonder that as much of it actually DID appease me. So, maybe it is time to pack it in...the bar for my tolerance & expectation levels of their solo albums is so much lower than for a band album that that's the road they should probably take.

Last edited by chiliD; 05-16-2010 at 10:45 PM..
Old 05-17-2010, 04:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It was Stevie's singing on the Mirage video. Her singing on The Chain is chilling. I think there is also a counter line on Go Your Own Way where she sings alone (on the album it is a group vocal). Again, chilling.

That was around 1998. It would be seven more years before I would see her live, then again with Tom Petty in 2006, then Lindsey in 2006 and 2007, then Fleetwood Mac in 2009. Now I have a hearing condition called hyperacusis and can never go to a concert again.

Lindsey is a master producer. Say You Will would be a piece of a junk without his production.

Stevie is the best writer and singer in the group.

Mick and John are as good a rhythm section as ever there was and ever there will be.

But who hooked me first? Stevie -- on the Mirage video. Right from that magic moment when she comes in on the Chain.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Who hooked you first?

Billy Burnette's songwriting.

One of my first CDs was "Mystery Girl" by Roy Orbison. "All I Can Do Is Dream You" from that album is co-written by Billy Burnette and Rick Vito appears as a guest guitarist.
It's a great song so I got curious as to who this Burnette guy is. When I saw Billy's solo album "Coming Home" in a catalogue when it came out in 93, I got it by mailorder without knowing what exactly I would get. What a great album that is!
I had gotten to know before that he played in Fleetwood Mac, but for some strange reason, whenever I looked into a booklet from one of the CDs of Fleetwood Mac's huge catalogue, I did not find his name. At one point, I even came across a new solo album by another Fleetwood Mac member whose name I had never come across before, but which I liked upon having listened to it in a store. That album was "Out Of the Cradle".

Only in about mid-94 did I find a CD of "Behind the Mask" in a cutout bin somewhere. A precious find.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Well, I feel where you're coming from. I get tired of the 'breaks' and the waiting. As well as the drama and in-fighting. I guess I'm not yet at the point where I could 'care less' what they do. I do care, but I wish they'd decide what they're going to work on and stick with it, whether it's solo work or a group effort.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Quote:
You must have had my posts on "ignore" or something because I throw that out ever chance I've had...and more.

Ok, one more time for posterity...

Ouch. Lisa got you there, Chili.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

First it was Stevie, and then I found out about everyone else, and then I was sucked into the World Of Macdom

Last edited by Meowi; 05-18-2010 at 02:23 AM..