User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
Yes. Well, minus the word "just", I'm pretty sure that's what he means. He, Mick, and John all identify primarily as musicians, whereas Stevie doesn't and isn't one. He extended "great singer" to include her in his overall statement.

I agree with your comment that Stevie gets the brunt of vocal criticism when both of them clearly don't sing like they used to (though I still enjoy both very much). It's never seemed entirely fair to me.
I think it's more that he's talking about how good the band is live. In that context, Stevie only contributes as a singer.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVielhaber View Post
I think it's more that he's talking about how good the band is live. In that context, Stevie only contributes as a singer.
Yes, that's what I mean too. I just thought it was clear that the "great singer" reference was referring to Stevie.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulpian View Post
ps. "Some of the reasons for that, I don’t exactly grasp, but, you know, what are you going to do?" - Again with this line. What is it that went on? My opinion is that there must be something here, as he is repeatedly using this 'I don't get it' line for some of her reasons for getting the hell out of Dodge.
Besides the "great singer" comment, which I thought was for Stevie (and good points about how Lindsey's voice has changed too), I thought this one was an interesting comment of his. Speaking about Christine's move: "Some of the reasons for that, I don't exactly grasp, but, you know, what are you going to do?" I think something must be there, too...I still think the band hasn't ever given the full story of what went on publicly. They still always go back to the same Rumours relationships breaking up talk, but haven't really gotten into what their relationships were like in 1997, for instance. I'm not sure if we'll ever get the truth. But there's certainly the Grammy story and the theory behind Thrown Down that Lindsey and Stevie had rekindled their relationship in an affair when Lindsey found out his girlfriend was pregnant. Who knows what Christine went through for The Dance and the tour? Maybe there were some fights. Maybe she was sick of the band's antics, just dealing with everyone (like in the only interview the five of them did together for The Dance) or was upset with how her facelift made her look on the video?

Last edited by bethelblues; 05-14-2013 at 09:39 AM..
Old 05-14-2013, 10:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
Yes, that's what I mean too. I just thought it was clear that the "great singer" reference was referring to Stevie.
Perverse to think he didn't mean Stevie when he said 'great singer'. Of course he meant her.

What happens in reviews is that Lindsey gets reviewed as a guitarist and Stevie gets reviewed as a singer. Lindsey's guitar-playing is as good as it's ever been (which is to say, pretty good) and Stevie's voice is different to what it was on Rumours. Some people like that difference, some people don't.

If Lindsey was reviewed as a singer, I doubt he'd fare so well.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
I thought "shipper" was a short form of "worshipper"
No. If it was, you would have people "shipping" singular people. But you don't, because it's a derivative of relationship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
. No one ever says that Lindsey had trouble with his vocal chords or sang off key in concert or can't hit the high notes any longer.
Well, I say that.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethelblues View Post
Besides the "great singer" comment, which I thought was for Stevie (and good points about how Lindsey's voice has changed too), I thought this one was an interesting comment of his. Speaking about Christine's move: "Some of the reasons for that, I don't exactly grasp, but, you know, what are you going to do?" I think something must be there, too...I still think the band hasn't ever given the full story of what went on publicly. They still always go back to the same Rumours relationships breaking up talk, but haven't really gotten into what their relationships were like in 1997, for instance. I'm not sure if we'll ever get the truth. But there's certainly the Grammy story and the theory behind Thrown Down that Lindsey and Stevie had rekindled their relationship in an affair when Lindsey found out his girlfriend was pregnant. Who knows what Christine went through for The Dance and the tour? Maybe there were some fights. Maybe she was sick of the band's antics, just dealing with everyone (like in the only interview the five of them did together for The Dance) or was upset with how her facelift made her look on the video?
I think that there was some sort of falling out. I also think that Stevie's story about the Grammys is an indicator of what might have gone on. I know that some Lindsey fans take great offence at the suggestion because they see it as yet another unwarranted attack on him, but hey ho.

For what it's worth, I think that Christine probably had enough of all of the intra-band fighting and politics and Lindsey might have borne the brunt of that around the time of the Grammys. I don't think her facial appearance on the Dance had anything to do with it; she looked stunning.

Whatever the problem was I agree that we have never been given the whole story about the breakup post-Dance. Lindsey's comments above, plus his comments around the time of SYW, make me think that something went awry between them. It's only now, some fifteen years later, that he is being a little more generous towards her.

It's interesting, too, that he says the LA dinner was the first time they'd all had since The Dance to relax in each other's company. I have said this on another thread (and was shot down!) -- he chose not to join the other three to dine with Christine in 2003 in London. I remember reading it at the time and thinking it was odd.

Anyway, I simply ask this: what is there not to 'grasp' about someone experiencing panic attacks, stage fright, fear of flying, homesickness, general tedium with the music business and relationship problems?
Old 05-14-2013, 02:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

ps. "Some of the reasons for that, I don’t exactly grasp, but, you know, what are you going to do?" - Again with this line. What is it that went on? My opinion is that there must be something here, as he is repeatedly using this 'I don't get it' line for some of her reasons for getting the hell out of Dodge.
and don't forget "burning bridges"... again....
Old 05-14-2013, 02:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wink

Quote:
I know that some Lindsey fans take great offence at the suggestion because they see it as yet another unwarranted attack on him, but hey ho.
but of course Lindsey must be to blame!

evidence is overwhelming as in every other case he is to blame, just look at the partial list:
  • Lindsey is responsible for Stevie wearing granny sweater during SYW because he didn't want her showing her boobs. (what?? the woman as emancipated as SN would listen to her ex about what to wear?? because what woman wouldn't?? )
  • Lindsey is responsible for Bob Welch not being inducted in the R'n'R Hall of Fame (what?? Wendy Welch says he's not? )
  • Lindsey has to be responsible for Christine leaving FM (that one is completely obvious - he talks about burned bridges. although now he is talking about always having a great connection with her, and having so much fun reconnecting at that dinner in LA... hmm )

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-14-2013, 02:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
but of course Lindsey must be to blame!

evidence is overwhelming as in every other case he is to blame, just look at the partial list:
  • Lindsey is responsible for Stevie wearing granny sweater during SYW because he didn't want her showing her boobs. (what?? the woman as emancipated as SN would listen to her ex about what to wear?? because what woman wouldn't?? )
  • Lindsey is responsible for Bob Welch not being inducted in the R'n'R Hall of Fame (what?? Wendy Welch says he's not? )
  • Lindsey has to be responsible for Christine leaving FM (that one is completely obvious - he talks about burned bridges. although now he is talking about always having a great connection with her, and having so much fun reconnecting at that dinner in LA... hmm )
Yeah. Maybe he just says that exceptionally irritating "for reasons I can't grasp" line, like she is some sort of irrational being, to piss Christine fans off.

But then from reading what others have said about Lindsey, it is possible that he has not always been very empathetic towards the circumstances of others, and perhaps that's still the case. He just doesn't get whatever Christine's issues were.

Anyway, as I said, 15 years on and time may well have cooled things down. Something went on during or after The Dance tour IMO.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Talking

Quote:
Yeah. Maybe he just says that exceptionally irritating "for reasons I can't grasp" line, like she is some sort of irrational being, to piss Christine fans off.
but of course, that's all he thinks about - how to piss off CM fans!

personally, i think burning bridges line is much more irritating than "i can't grasp".

i can't grasp can mean something like "i personally am too stupid to understand" or "that's not how i think", but it doesn't say "i want to piss off CM fans". jmo

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-14-2013, 03:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
but of course, that's all he thinks about - how to piss off CM fans!

personally, i think burning bridges line is much more irritating than "i can't grasp".

i can't grasp can mean something like "i personally am too stupid to understand" or "that's not how i think", but it doesn't say "i want to piss off CM fans". jmo
I think when coming from someone like Lindsey, who is smart, it seems like a facetious remark.

I was joking about the pissing fans off thing. We CM fans, minority as we may be, have a sense of humour if nothing else.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

It's interesting, too, that he says the LA dinner was the first time they'd all had since The Dance to relax in each other's company. I have said this on another thread (and was shot down!) -- he chose not to join the other three to dine with Christine in 2003 in London. I remember reading it at the time and thinking it was odd.

Anyway, I simply ask this: what is there not to 'grasp' about someone experiencing panic attacks, stage fright, fear of flying, homesickness, general tedium with the music business and relationship problems?
I don't think that the other three had a dinner with Christine in England that Lindsey failed to attend. I think they all saw her briefly during the unleashed tour and during the Say you will Tour. I don't think that he spent any less time with her than the others did during that visit, based on anything any of them have said. If you have the interview that mentioned a dinner that he never attended I would love to see it, because I never read anything of the sort. And, like all of us, I was collecting the interviews. Now, I've heard them all talk about the England stops during the tour. Mostly Mick talked about looking forward to them getting together and Christine cooking for hem BEFORE the Say You Will tour. During her meantime promotion, Christine did talk about seeing them in England but she never mentioned the dinner.

The only thing that Christine has said, singling out the people she's had contact with and the people she has not is with regard to emails. Even that has changed. Sometimes she said she sent emails to Mick and John. Sometimes she said she had email communication with Mick and Stevie.

As far as Lindsey being more generous to Christine now than he has been in the past, he's not saying anything about her now that he didn't say back then. In fact, back then he talked about being more understanding of her need to leave than he does now. He said that he understood her survival instinct to escape more than the others did and that they did not appreciate him for supporting it. He's not talking about 30% more room now and he's not talking about having more testosterone onstage now in 2013, but everything else he is saying is exactly what he said then. So I don't get what you mean about being more generous.

Lindsey didn't say he doesn't grasp Christine's need to retire. He said he doesn't understand why she cut off all her ties to California so completely. He never indicated that he didn't have empathy for the panic attacks or the fear of flying or the hating to travel part.

Michele
Old 05-14-2013, 03:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I don't think that the other three had a dinner with Christine in England that Lindsey failed to attend. I think they all saw her briefly during the unleashed tour and during the Say you will Tour. I don't think that he spent any less time with her than the others did during that visit, based on anything any of them have said. If you have the interview that mentioned a dinner that he never attended I would love to see it, because I never read anything of the sort. And, like all of us, I was collecting the interviews. Now, I've heard them all talk about the England stops during the tour. Mostly Mick talked about looking forward to them getting together and Christine cooking for hem BEFORE the Say You Will tour. During her meantime promotion, Christine did talk about seeing them in England but she never mentioned the dinner.

The only thing that Christine has said, singling out the people she's had contact with and the people she has not is with regard to emails. Even that has changed. Sometimes she said she sent emails to Mick and John. Sometimes she said she had email communication with Mick and Stevie.

As far as Lindsey being more generous to Christine now than he has been in the past, he's not saying anything about her now that he didn't say back then. In fact, back then he talked about being more understanding of her need to leave than he does now. He said that he understood her survival instinct to escape more than the others did and that they did not appreciate him for supporting it. He's not talking about 30% more room now and he's not talking about having more testosterone onstage now in 2013, but everything else he is saying is exactly what he said then. So I don't get what you mean about being more generous.

Lindsey didn't say he doesn't grasp Christine's need to retire. He said he doesn't understand why she cut off all her ties to California so completely. He never indicated that he didn't have empathy for the panic attacks or the fear of flying or the hating to travel part.

Michele
Very forensic, as usual, but I don't agree.

And, unlike you Michele, I don't collect the interviews but that dinner sticks in my mind and I can't remember where I read it. I may try and google some keywords to see if I can dig it up.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

And, unlike you Michele, I don't collect the interviews but that dinner sticks in my mind and I can't remember where I read it. I may try and google some keywords to see if I can dig it up.
Yes, I think a google search should bring it up. People post articles here all of the time contemporanously, predating the SYW tour and there's no post saying they actually had a dinner and Lindsey didn't come here. Although there are posts from people, like yourself, saying that they think they read it somewhere and can't remember where.

In fact, all the posted articles and interviews I have are of Mick talking about planning to have dinner with Christine -- she would be making it for them -- but then they don't talk about what happened afterwards. Christine talks about seeing them all and how tired they looked. John talks about the rumor that Christine would perform and says that that was never going to take place. We also have a picture of them from the SYW tour (but not Unleashed), but I don't see anything that says they had dinner, much less that they had dinner and everyone failed to come but Lindsey.

As far as Lindsey being more generous now, if you want to point out anything that he's saying today as an example, I can find an interview where he said the same thing 10 years ago. I have them all right here and his comments about Christine haven't changed. So, tell me what you mean and I'll find you the quote.

I mean he said how much he loved and missed her back then and talked about her leaving too, explaining what he meant by burning her bridges. He did talk about her leaving not hurting their stage show, making it more manly, etc., back then, which is not something he's harping on in the interviews from the last couple of weeks.

Michele
Old 05-14-2013, 03:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Very forensic, as usual, but I don't agree.
don't agree with what? everything she wrote there?