The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default The real reason(s) Christine is returning.

Any theories?

My theory, it might not be the most original, but what the hell, is that Christine recently turned 70, the rest of the band isn't far behind her. I think she might have had an epiphany and realized being in Fleetwood Mac was her accomplishment in life, her legacy. I think she might have thought to herself "do I really want to die without ever playing with them again?" John getting cancer may have also attributed to this, he must be doing well though because they keep adding new dates to the tour.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:39 PM
Registered

certainly money has nothing to do with it
Old 04-17-2014, 08:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by olive View Post
How much money does she need? She has no kids. Stevie has people that she feels responsible for, Waddy, Sharon, Lori and no doubt Chris and his daughter too. The men all have families.

Christine has nieces and nephews, but I don't think she would feel the need to go back to work for their sakes. I don't think she lives that extravagantly. Even if she lives another 20 years, she can probably do so comfortably.

I think she was lonely and found life too quiet. She left FM to be with her family, but realized that, good or bad, they are as much her family as blood relatives and she might as well be fighting with them. At least it won't be dull.

Michele
Old 04-17-2014, 08:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by olive View Post

Money is awesome and the more the merrier, but she's 70 and apparently her net worth is like $50 million, celebritynetworth .com who knows how reliable that is, but I don't think she's in need of money. I think it's the symbolic aspect that is bringer her back, but it could be money who knows they could all be greedy as hell. I'd like to think it's a whole meaningful thing though.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

She got board while in retirement.I have friends that are at the retiring age and they dont need to be working because they dont really need the cash but they like to keep busy.

Atlease Chris will be earning a bigger paycheck with FM then if she had a job as an Walmart greeter at her age.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 04-17-2014, 09:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yea I don't think money is anywhere near the top of Christine's motivation. Maybe top 5 but not number. Moneys always been on the table. Lots of it. Stevie was even willing to work for free and give her share to Chris in 2009. I'm sure she told Chris that deal was only on the table until 2013, sorry dammed expiration dates.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 04-17-2014, 10:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

She gave the real reasons openly in her recent interviews. She was lonely and missed her friends, the life with her friends, etc.

I don't think there's any mystery here. Surprising, yes. But mysterious, nah. It's a great, heart-warming story.
Old 04-18-2014, 02:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, I think the others intimated to her that Fleetwood Mac's swan song was imminent , due to age and health.
She being a major member for the most productive years wasn't going to miss that.
And she made the decision to join for one last Album and one last Tour.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sue View Post
Well, I think the others intimated to her that Fleetwood Mac's swan song was imminent , due to age and health.
She being a major member for the most productive years wasn't going to miss that.
And she made the decision to join for one last Album and one last Tour.
I totally agree with you Sue and I've been saying this all along.I think it's a little unrealistic to think that Chris just suddenly decided she missed her friends and playing in the band after being away 15+ years.She didn't ache for this 5 years ago?And if she wasn't financially secure she wouldn't have left in the first place(although one can never have too much money) so I doubt that money is the sole reason-it's just icing on the cake.Also,Mick and Stevie seem to be very busy these days -Mick planning to host a TV show, Stevie performing with Dave Grohl and Lady Antebellum, and even Stevie appearing on talk shows without ever even mentioning Fleetwood Mac,and mingling at the Oscars.It seems like they're searching for an alternative career or at least a way to spend their time.And we all know that Stevie MUST be in the limelight in one form or another.She can't even take a vacation without getting bored or lonely.Or perhaps John's situation has made Chris take a look at her own mortality.Just a fleeting thought-remember the video of Say Goodbye from the last tour when Stevie could hardly hold it together?At one point it looks like she's looking back at Mick (when she literally bit her lip to keep from getting hysterical)as if to say "I seriously can't take this,this is killing me".Maybe I'm reading too much into this,I don't know.Thanks to everyone for listening.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

The way Christine has been smiling & beaming during interviews, photo shoots, public appearances, etc this past year, I have zero doubts money or intimidation have anything to do with her return. You could totally tell during the Dance era Chris wasn't enjoying herself the way she is now. I'm not terribly romantic when it comes to this band- all the fake love between Buckingham & Nicks the past 17 years borderline enrages me. But Christine's return smacks of realism to me. Yes, she retired for 16 years because she'd given her entire adult life to being on the road with Fleetwood Mac. She probably felt like she had to live life on her own terms for once, and really didn't think she'd ever return. But to quote Lindsey- her return feels "organic" to me- far more than the Dance ever did. You can't fake how giddy & serene the woman looks. She's there because she wants to be, and on her own terms.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think she is back for a number of reasons...
1. John's cancer diagnosis (realizing anything can happen now)
2. She got over her fear of flying
3. She performed on stage and really missed it and realized that's where she is the happiest
4. Wanting to seal the legacy of the band and missed being with them
5. She didn't like the English life anymore, she missed being a star
Old 04-18-2014, 11:07 AM

I don't think it has much to do with John's cancer. I think it was brewing a bit in 2013 and even a bit before. She slowly started writing music again and thought, "I would love to produce these songs with someone." She has always loved being in a band, and Fleetwood Mac quite honestly had a missing piece.

Of course getting rid of her stage fright, fear of flying and back on the music saddle was an obstacle. She hurdled those obstacles and she is now making Mac ing fun again.

And that's the story..
Old 04-18-2014, 11:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
The way Christine has been smiling & beaming during interviews, photo shoots, public appearances, etc this past year, I have zero doubts money or intimidation have anything to do with her return.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GavinBrown View Post
I think she is back for a number of reasons...
1. John's cancer diagnosis (realizing anything can happen now)
2. She got over her fear of flying
3. She performed on stage and really missed it and realized that's where she is the happiest
4. Wanting to seal the legacy of the band and missed being with them
5. She didn't like the English life anymore, she missed being a star
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I don't think it has much to do with John's cancer. I think it was brewing a bit in 2013 and even a bit before. She slowly started writing music again and thought, "I would love to produce these songs with someone." She has always loved being in a band, and Fleetwood Mac quite honestly had a missing piece.

Of course getting rid of her stage fright, fear of flying and back on the music saddle was an obstacle. She hurdled those obstacles and she is now making Mac ing fun again.

And that's the story..
agree with these posts. she has clearly missed it. she's probably the only one in that band for whom i'd say money is not really factoring in. but loving the limelight may be a part of it.... remember that youtube clip of CM coming out of one of the hotels last year and being genuinely and happily surprised that fans still recognized her and wanted her autographs? and, how many times in life you think you want to do something different, you try it, and it's not what you thought it was going to be... and when you are really getting older on the top of that, and if you have the luxury and opportunity to do it like Christine does, why not re-assess what you want to still do in life, and go do it!

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 04-18-2014, 12:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Chris began inching back towards the stage in early 2013 way before John's diagnosis. It's definitely all about the music, about being lonely and realizing that she made have never had children or a spouse who stuck around, but her "spouse" or "family" that never went away was Fleetwood Mac and she is at a point of reflection in her life where she has realized that.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Yes, from what they said of John's diagnosis, it came after Christine began thinking of returning. It looks like she was not in an emotionally good place for several years. Now, she's healed, has a more positive outlook and she wants to perform.

If the Mac were planning a "farewell" tour, I think they would announce it as such, so they could capitalize on that for marketing purposes. And I just don't get a "this is all coming to an end" vibe from them. Even at the end of the last tour, when Stevie and Lindsey were tearful, they were also quite upbeat for most of the final concerts from the video I saw. Even giddy. Just from their demeanor (not to mention the way Christine was beaming when we saw her coming out of that hotel last year) I got the impression that things were optimistic, not winding down. In fact, from the way they were acting, I thought John's prognosis was good. They said it was caught early, but I didn't believe what they SAID. But the way they were acting, just seemed kind of cheery, all the way around.

Michele

Last edited by michelej1; 04-18-2014 at 12:38 PM..