Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:07 AM
Registered

Default What tricks were FM playing on us

White Album

10. Sugar Daddy

Anyone else hear Chris laughing at the End?

Rumours

7. The Chain

The first second of the song you hear Lindsey drop the F-Bomb

Behind the Mask

Lizard People

Creepy!! Sounds like a 9-11 song!
Old 02-16-2014, 09:20 AM
Registered

Tusk

Tusk - The melody of Tusk was what Lindsey used for soundcheck during the Rumours tour.

Buckingham Nicks

Lola (My Love) - Sounds like the chain in the beginning

Rumours

Go Your Own Way - Written in November 1975; Lindsey and Stevie broke up Mid 1976

Last edited by welcomechris; 02-21-2014 at 08:55 AM..
Old 02-17-2014, 07:53 AM
Registered

Tusk

Not that Funny - Lines from I Know I'm Not Wrong
Old 02-17-2014, 01:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by welcomechris View Post
Go Your Own Way - Written in November 1975; Lindsey and Stevie broke up February 1977
is that right? or was it earlier, like 1974? i have no info either way but this quote from Michele in another thread would point towards the earlier date:

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
He wrote GYOW before the entered FM and he says he wrote it because he and Stevie were crumbling. He said he's sure he was at some Holiday Inn and he just wrote the song because it was very autobiographical, from his perspective.
FM played GYOW on the white album tour right? BN didn't play it live, i don't think.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 02-17-2014, 02:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by welcomechris View Post
Tusk

Tusk - The melody of Tusk was what Lindsey used for soundcheck during the Rumours tour.

Buckingham Nicks

Lola (My Love) - Sounds like the chain in the beginning

Rumours

Go Your Own Way - Written in November 1975; Lindsey and Stevie broke up February 1977
Ok, Go Your Own Way was written in mid to late 1975, during the first FM tour. Stevie and Lindsey "officially" broke up during the last days of the Sausalito sessions- approx. April of 1976- but he (and she) actually have expressed that they were not an exclusive couple by that time- Lindsey called it a slow death leading up to this- I'll find the quotes. He was already living with a new girlfriend by Feb. 1977.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

So here's the lead up to the demise of their relationship through Lindsey's eyes- Monday Morning was written in the BN days. “Monday Morning is a precursor. Nothing definitive has happened between me and Stevie- only the feeling that something is not quite right. You cut to two years later- and all sorts of things have happened. Stevie has moved away from me ah emotionally, she’s ahh been unfaithful, she’s ahh come back, she’s ahh gone through a whole evolution of of experiences unique to herself that that have nothing to do with me, during the touring that happened with Fleetwood Mac after the first album. You know, so you’re talking about a long period of time of sort of a slow death, of estrangement, of a lot of, you know, we were not really a couple by the time that song was written. Ah we were still, there was still a lot of love and we would sort of come back and go away and come back but basically you know you’re talking about a situation during the making of Rumours which was very painful for me. Working with someone that I was still in love with, who was, didn’t want to be with me and yet me having to do the work for her, having to produce hits for her, having to see her everyday, not being allowed the necessity- I won’t say the luxury- it is a necessity- of of of physical distance in order to get closure. Um, the the compartmentalizing of emotions that had to follow in that situation.”
Old 02-17-2014, 04:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
FM played GYOW on the white album tour right? BN didn't play it live, i don't think.
Stevie has mentioned him writing it back when they were in their apartment. So, I thought it predated them being on tour with the White album. He mentioned writing it in some hotel room like Holiday Inn. I got the impression that the skeletal outline of the song had been around.

Michele
Old 02-17-2014, 05:23 PM
Registered

Quote:
is that right? or was it earlier, like 1974? i have no info either way but this quote from Michele in another thread would point towards the earlier date:

Fm started doing it in November 75 idk if it was written before that. The white album tour one is missing the second verse
Old 02-17-2014, 07:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Newsweek magazine printed an article in the May 10 1976 issue about the band that said they were in the middle of recording their next album (Rumours) and it seemed likely to survive the breakup of Nicks and Buckingham's relationship 2 weeks prior. (We don't know exactly when the story was written vs when it was published). This would put the Sausalito breakup ~early '76.

Stevie's affair with Don Henley was somewhere during this time frame. And Sara reportedly was written in 1976, per the whole lawsuit where another woman claimed to have written it.

Last edited by bombaysaffires; 02-17-2014 at 07:07 PM..
Old 02-17-2014, 07:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Stevie has mentioned him writing it back when they were in their apartment. So, I thought it predated them being on tour with the White album. He mentioned writing it in some hotel room like Holiday Inn. I got the impression that the skeletal outline of the song had been around.

Michele
That would't surprise me. In an interview from '81 she said they were ready to break up when they joined FM in 75, but that joining and breaking up all at the same time was "too much for one heart to take" so "we stayed together for another year"
Old 02-17-2014, 08:46 PM
Registered

Lindsey and Stevie broke up after the making of Rumours (Mid 76)

Sara was written at the end of the Making of Rumours (Mid 76)

Don and Stevie started to go out (Early 76)

Go Your Own Way was written (Late 75)
Old 02-17-2014, 09:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
That would't surprise me. In an interview from '81 she said they were ready to break up when they joined FM in 75, but that joining and breaking up all at the same time was "too much for one heart to take" so "we stayed together for another year"

After they joined FM, I think they got separate apartments. She says that "and I had a nice apartment" once they got a little money. So, I think that although he might have kept the place they had shared together with a roommate that she moved out once they started earning some dough.

On the other hand when she talks about Go Your Own Way she says, "Oh it bugged me terrible. And I had to listen to it every night and sing along with it. It would just put me right back in the place where Lindsey and I were when he wrote that song, back to our apartment where he was really angry with me. It was like I had to revisit the world of the big fight every time he sang it."

So, I got the impression he was sitting on the floor writing it even before FM and that he probably kept fiddling with the thing or adding new parts to it right on through being on the road with FM. When he mentions it's origin, I would agree that they were definitely on the road by that time, but I think it may have been conceived when they were still stuck in an apartment together, based on her comments.

Michele
Old 02-17-2014, 09:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

If so, it was likely recorded and performed in 1976, during the recording of Rumours. They did some festivals and shows to take a break from recording. I believe they performed a few, still unreleased songs then. You Make Loving Fun was one of them.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 02-17-2014 at 09:29 PM..
Old 02-17-2014, 09:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
After they joined FM, I think they got separate apartments. She says that "and I had a nice apartment" once they got a little money. So, I think that although he might have kept the place they had shared together with a roommate that she moved out once they started earning some dough.

On the other hand when she talks about Go Your Own Way she says, "Oh it bugged me terrible. And I had to listen to it every night and sing along with it. It would just put me right back in the place where Lindsey and I were when he wrote that song, back to our apartment where he was really angry with me. It was like I had to revisit the world of the big fight every time he sang it."

So, I got the impression he was sitting on the floor writing it even before FM and that he probably kept fiddling with the thing or adding new parts to it right on through being on the road with FM. When he mentions it's origin, I would agree that they were definitely on the road by that time, but I think it may have been conceived when they were still stuck in an apartment together, based on her comments.

Michele
Yes I think a lot of their Rumours songs had been around for some time, (Dreams being an exception, being written in the studio) though it makes a better story to market it as material written literally during the making of the album Rumours. I'm sure songs were tweaked and reworked during the time in the studio, but really the events which the lyrics describe mostly predate the formal breakups and the making of the album.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
No, I think it was written before 1975, but not performed earlier. Now I believe Chili heard the early GYOW with FM and I think he has posted about how it changed by the time it made it to Rumours.

Michele