Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-13-2009, 11:58 AM
Ledgie

Default Lindsey compliment of Christine

I read this interview with Lindsey at http://www.blackbookmag.com/article/...ast-tour/10650 in which I think he pays a tremendous compliment to Christine.

Finally Lindsey, can I ask you where, in your many years on the road have you enjoyed visiting the most?
The heritage of the band is, of course, British. So I have immense and deep fondness for the UK. I was recently reminded that when Stevie Nicks and I were asked to join the band, we were also asked—in some sense—to become honorary Brits. I don’t mean this in any derogatory way, but I firmly believe that Christine McVie’s very British blues sensibilities kept us from sounding like just another version of The Eagles. When I joined, they would take me to the public houses of SoHo, and show me places like the 100 Club on Oxford Street where my heroes The Rolling Stones and The Sex Pistols played. Then back again to the famous Soho pubs like the Coach And Horses on Greek Street where I was ‘converted’ by a time-honoured tradition of of drinking many, many pints of Guinness in the name of the British Empire! When I visit these places again today, the memories are overwhelming. I love that everyone calls it Tin Pan Alley. Even Bill Clinton’s favourite pub—The Portobello Star—brings it all back, especially as seems like only yesterday when we played at his inauguration. I find touring in Europe so rewarding.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

That was a fine complement--and a well-earned one. This might be the warmest text I've ever read from Lindsey. He seems genuinely nostalgic about England!
Old 09-13-2009, 05:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

He also seems to be treading more carefully on the subject of Christine's resignation:

Surely modern methods of communication meant that you were never far from each other’s thoughts?

Of course from time to time I would email Stevie or Mick especially pictures from the kids’ summer holidays. We’re always interested in how our families are growing up. It’s good to just reconnect as human beings. Christine (McVie) wasn’t involved in any shape or form, as she pretty much took permanent leave of the performing world. I don’t want to say that she burned her bridges, but she certainly closed her book on her contact with all of us over here on the west coast, including selling her house in Los Angeles. She moved back to England and lives somewhere out in the country, I believe. From what I hear, she’s completely changed her life, and to be honest, she never really enjoyed touring anyway. I think she feels like she had said what she wanted to say within the confines of Fleetwood Mac, whereas the other four of us feel that our artistic lives are still evolving.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well basicly he explains what he meant with his earlier remarks. I never thought he said something wrong or hostile against her. It was easily negatively interpreted though. So he chose his words differently this time. At least he's showing that you can learn around 60.

Old 09-13-2009, 05:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
That was a fine complement--and a well-earned one. This might be the warmest text I've ever read from Lindsey. He seems genuinely nostalgic about England!
Don't forget that he had a firm interest in british music around the punk/new wave periods.

Old 09-13-2009, 06:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
He also seems to be treading more carefully on the subject of Christine's resignation:
This is no different from what he's always said when he elaborates. Back when he first started saying she "burned her bridges" he would say that she sold her house and moved to England, pulled up stakes. So, whenever he talks about it at length, that's the way he has explained himself and talked about Christine's exit for years now. He also said he sympathized with her wanting to go, because he'd been in that place himself before. In fact, he said that he was the only one in the band who did understand the need to leave.

It's just that most of the time he doesn't explain (or the interview is so short that that part is not there). So, we just get the "burned her bridges" part. And I don't know why he keeps saying that, since he must know what the connotations of that phrase are. But I suppose that's how he keeps himself amused.

Michele
Old 09-14-2009, 07:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't know. I half wonder if he's playing with the song she wrote--"Temporary One," where the "bridge will bring us back together." Kinda like, "HA! The bridge won't bring us back together--you burnt it!"
Old 09-14-2009, 08:00 AM
Ledgie

I cant believe that Lindsey has never been to visit Christine in England. Would you not have visited a long time friend especially when you can easily afford the first class trip?

I also cringe a bit whenever an interviewer asks a question where the answer would involve saying how good Stevie, and to a lesser extect, Christine are at writing songs - LB always brings it round to how he managed to turn the raw material into something great. He so rarely compliments them on their songwriting skills.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
This is no different from what he's always said when he elaborates. Back when he first started saying she "burned her bridges" he would say that she sold her house and moved to England, pulled up stakes. So, whenever he talks about it at length, that's the way he has explained himself and talked about Christine's exit for years now. He also said he sympathized with her wanting to go, because he'd been in that place himself before. In fact, he said that he was the only one in the band who did understand the need to leave.

It's just that most of the time he doesn't explain (or the interview is so short that that part is not there). So, we just get the "burned her bridges" part. And I don't know why he keeps saying that, since he must know what the connotations of that phrase are. But I suppose that's how he keeps himself amused.

Michele
I often find him in interviews not finishing thoughts... so he will start off talking about a subject... then side track himself.... and you're only left with the incomplete ramblings like... "burn bridge"
Old 09-14-2009, 01:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenC View Post
I cant believe that Lindsey has never been to visit Christine in England. Would you not have visited a long time friend especially when you can easily afford the first class trip?.
I am sure he saw her in 2003 when she came to their Earl's Court show. As to visiting her house, I heard (on here) that all but Lindsey went to dinner at Christine's a day after or before the show. Who knows why he didn't take up her invite if this is true?
Old 09-14-2009, 05:45 PM

I really think he took it very hard that she left....

I'm not in the majority here... but I think they had a very good relationship ... they liked to work together, write together.... they were on each other's studio albums... they had great times on stage (mostly)... and until LB's SYW comments... I feel they had a great deal of respect for each other....

as far as being friends... I don't think any of them really were... even John and Mick after a while live very separate lives...
Old 09-14-2009, 06:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I really think he took it very hard that she left....

I'm not in the majority here... but I think they had a very good relationship ... they liked to work together, write together.... they were on each other's studio albums... they had great times on stage (mostly)... and until LB's SYW comments... I feel they had a great deal of respect for each other....
I completely agree with you. I don't know why you say you're not in the majority. I think most people who think about Christine and Lindsey probably think the same thing.

Michele
Old 09-14-2009, 10:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I completely agree with you. I don't know why you say you're not in the majority. I think most people who think about Christine and Lindsey probably think the same thing.

Michele
I agree, too. They had a really fruitful musical relationship and without her, he doesn't have the same musical empathy for his ideas.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Michele
I suppose you're right, Michelle. His tone here, however, seems a little softer than what I've read before. Maybe I'm just wishing...
Old 09-14-2009, 11:28 PM

Quote:

Michele
most people don't think they liked each other outside the music...

i remember her saying Lindsey would do anything for her... and that she felt him a brother..