Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-09-2004, 07:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshWitchPMD
Here are a few photos that I took outside of the Dakota on Oct 9 2004 which would have been his 64th birthday. I was in NYC for Columbus weekend.
awesome pics, whata a grand & beautiful place~ ot, wasn't "rosemary's baby" filmed @ the dakota also?~
have a groovy day every1~
Old 12-09-2004, 07:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GODDESS6
awesome pics, whata a grand & beautiful place~ ot, wasn't "rosemary's baby" filmed @ the dakota also?~
have a groovy day every1~
Yes, it was. Interestinglty, the Upper West Side, where The Dakota is located, experienced a rebirth in the late 80's and early 90's. Many people bought properties there before then for next to nothing and now have properties worth several million dollars. Sadly, in that time period, many of the original units were cut down and altered, which made them lose them original florrplans, etc. As an aside and just because I think that building is particularly beautiful, here are some of the properties currently for sale in The Dakota:

http://www.elliman.com/Listing.aspx?...archType=quick

http://www.sothebysrealty.com/proper...n=&fromrentyn=

http://www.brownharrisstevens.com/detail.aspx?id=347915

Don't ya love that people can pay millions for the unit (probably all cash) and then have enough left over to satisfy the co-ops financial solvency requirements (probably purchase price in cash) and then have enough left over to pay several thousand a month in the co-op fee

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 12-09-2004, 08:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
Yes, it was. Interestinglty, the Upper West Side, where The Dakota is located, experienced a rebirth in the late 80's and early 90's. Many people bought properties there before then for next to nothing and now have properties worth several million dollars. Sadly, in that time period, many of the original units were cut down and altered, which made them lose them original florrplans, etc. As an aside and just because I think that building is particularly beautiful, here are some of the properties currently for sale in The Dakota:

http://www.sothebysrealty.com/proper...n=&fromrentyn=

http://www.brownharrisstevens.com/detail.aspx?id=347915

Don't ya love that people can pay millions for the unit (probably all cash) and then have enough left over to satisfy the co-ops financial solvency requirements (probably purchase price in cash) and then have enough left over to pay several thousand a month in the co-op fee

wow, thanx!!! ~
Old 12-09-2004, 08:36 AM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

Looking at those floorplans is interesting. it's amazing how much people will pay for for so little space!!!! Good Lord, the kitchens are like the size of a large bathroom. But then again look at your view...and just being in the city by Central Park..priceless. It's always been a little dream of mine to have a place in the city.

At those prices-- never gonna happen!!

-Lis
Old 12-09-2004, 08:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux
I cannot listen to Grow Old With Me. I lie, I can listen to it and I do, it just doesn't sit well. To be written at any stage would have made it tragic, but to be part of the to-be-released recordings, well it's too tragic, as if he was expecting his own death. Listening to that followed by In My Life, plus perhaps the "I can hardly wait, to see you come of age" line in Beautiful Boy might be the key to making me cry. So might stabbing me with some kind of dagger, but the latter example isn't particularly relevant.
Me, too. I have a hard time with any song from 'Double Fantasy' and 'Milk & Honey.' I never knew who John was until he was gone...I'll never forget that night. I powerful storm rocked through the valley I lived in...thunder, lightening, winds like you wouldn't believe. I was ten years old, and I just shook under my covers all night. The next morning, December 9th, I saw the news on TV. My older sister brought 'Double Fantasy' home, and told me more about what had happened to him. I had to listen to that record; I had to learn more about who he was. I spent the next few years getting to know his music, but mostly, who he was...what he stood for, what he thought, how he felt...I was so blown away by his intelligence and honesty. I now have a huge collection that I keep, of interviews and music, etc., but I must admit, I don't listen to it often. It just makes me too sad.

My friend Marvin died last February from a tragic accident, but about six months before he died, he took a trip to NYC. My phone rang; it was Marvin, standing out in front of The Dakota. For him standing there, it was much like others have described standing there...so sad. But it was his way of making sure I was there with him as he experienced it...he knew how much John had meant to me, and the impact he had made upon my life. He then walked across the street to 'Strawberry Fields,' with me still on the phone. He described how beautiful the 'Imagine' art was on the ground in the park, and all of the great fans there, celebrating John's life. A few days later, in my mail, a package arrived. Marvin had sent me a huge portrait of the 'Imagine' circle, beautifully framed. Especially now that Marvin has passed on, it's one of my most prized possessions...

Claudia
Old 12-09-2004, 09:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePenguin
Looking at those floorplans is interesting. it's amazing how much people will pay for for so little space!!!! Good Lord, the kitchens are like the size of a large bathroom. But then again look at your view...and just being in the city by Central Park..priceless. It's always been a little dream of mine to have a place in the city.

At those prices-- never gonna happen!!

-Lis
Amen darlin'

BUT - I have friends on all levels who live in NYC. The difference is pretty apprent though - and I am FAR to large loud and busy to live with my two Scotties in a 600 sq. ft. walk up studio for $1,500 a month

Last edited by strandinthewind; 12-09-2004 at 10:49 AM..
Old 12-09-2004, 10:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I wish I'd been around yesterday and seen this thread. I was thinking about him all day yesterday as well. I even wrote stuff about him on my finals exams, even when it was inappropriate to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux
I cannot listen to Grow Old With Me. I lie, I can listen to it and I do, it just doesn't sit well. To be written at any stage would have made it tragic, but to be part of the to-be-released recordings, well it's too tragic, as if he was expecting his own death. Listening to that followed by In My Life, plus perhaps the "I can hardly wait, to see you come of age" line in Beautiful Boy might be the key to making me cry. So might stabbing me with some kind of dagger, but the latter example isn't particularly relevant.
I can't listen to "Grow Old With Me" at all. I remember when my Mom told me about the song and brought me a copy. She played it for me in my room and we both cried. I haven't listened to it since then. "Beautiful Boy" is hard to take as well.

But I just want to stress that I will NEVER forget him, and I think that is an amazing thing, since he died before I was born (as Lux was saying as well). That didn't stop him from having an effect on me.

Hillary
Old 12-09-2004, 04:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wouldn’t it be great to live life in peace? Living life without the distractions we’ve created. It’s hard to imagine because we make the thought complex just thinking about it. Trying to imagine a peaceful world with a head clogged full of other peoples sh!t isn’t easy. It’s amazing how stupid mankind’s become. Greed is the reason we’ve become what we are today. We need all these things to keep us occupied and for what? We create all this crap to blind us from the way we would truly like to live and we do it because we know what we want we'll never get.

Imagine no computer, radio, or TV. Imagine no hunger, illness, and worry. No need to survive. Without all these things there would have been created unimaginable wonderful things. The irony of the whole shabang is we can still do it but are we ready to give up our life to have it happen? I’m not talking war. I mean giving up everything you know. Everything you own. All your sh!t. Oh well as long as people have a vision for peace there’s still hope.

Oh man my prepackaged processed frozen and microwaved food item is done and the news is on. I can’t miss being programmed. “See ya soon John.”

I’m insane so I had to add this: I was just thinking about my sh!t and what will happen to it when I’m gone. Somebody’s gonna have to do something with it. A few will take this or that. It will end up they’re sh!t and on and on until its such complete sh!t they throw it away. Then it’s the landfills sh!t . I’ll have to google a search on how much waste a person generates in they’re lifetime. I’ll bet it’s staggering.

Last edited by ½ ¡Ñ§ÅñË ®; 12-09-2004 at 05:35 PM..
Old 12-09-2004, 05:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Funny, when I started reading this thread Penny Lane came on, as I finished Photograph came on... two Beatle related songs...
Anyways I am just starting to understand the significance of what john was saying so many years ago...Imagine is still one of my favorite songs...
It says so very much. Listening to the song Revolution after the elections and in light of the war was quite interesting, John seemed to see things so very clearly... Although I think In My Life is probably one of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard, and one of my top five songs...Atl east Johns music lives on for all eternity.
"May the Force be with you..."~Star Wars
Old 12-09-2004, 07:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadegypsy
Listening to the song Revolution after the elections and in light of the war was quite interesting, John seemed to see things so very clearly... Although I think In My Life is probably one of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard, and one of my top five songs...Atl east Johns music lives on for all eternity.
i love both of those songs 2 especially "in my life", 1 of the prettiest songs ever!!!~ always makes me nostalgic when i hear it~
Old 12-09-2004, 07:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

IMO This is a very moving dvd...particulary "Watching the Wheels", a compilation of home movie footage from the star's semi-reclusive Dakota years.

Tracks include: Imagine, Instant Karma (We All Shine On), Mother, Jealous Guy, Power to the People, Cold Turkey, Love, Mind Games, Whatever Gets You Through the Night, #9 Dream, Stand by Me, (Just Like) Starting Over, Woman, Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy), Watching the Wheels, Nobody Told Me, Borrowed Time, Working Class Hero, Happy Xmas (War Is Over), Give Peace a Chance

RIP JOHN
WE LOVE YOU
Old 12-09-2004, 07:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Amen darlin'

BUT - I have friends on all levels who live in NYC. The difference is pretty apprent though - and I am FAR to large loud and busy to live with my two Scotties in a 600 sq. ft. walk up studio for $1,500 a month

I read recently where the average price of a one-bedroom apartment in NYC is now over--get this--a million dollars. How the hell does anyone come up with a million bucks to buy an apartment? What kinds of salaries must these people make to afford to live in New York?

And Strand--it amazes me, and actually somewhat frightens me, that you have a working knowledge of NYC real estate firms! I love looking at those sites though-fun to see how the other have lives even if I can't figure out how the hell they afford it!
Old 12-09-2004, 08:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeGeMe
I read recently where the average price of a one-bedroom apartment in NYC is now over--get this--a million dollars. How the hell does anyone come up with a million bucks to buy an apartment? What kinds of salaries must these people make to afford to live in New York?

And Strand--it amazes me, and actually somewhat frightens me, that you have a working knowledge of NYC real estate firms! I love looking at those sites though-fun to see how the other have lives even if I can't figure out how the hell they afford it!
Well, ya gotta be prepared

Seriously, to give you an example of why, I have a bunch of friends and relatives who live there. Some wealthy friends of mine about two years ago bought a million $$$ one bedroom place in a FABULOUS building on Central Park West. I got to look at the places they looked at, which included Roberta Flack's place in the Dakota. It was inspiring and somewhat scary and perhaps even humiliating all at once I also thought about moving to NYC. I just had issues with having no space, etc. I like having a yard or at least access to one, which meant I had to live on Fifth (no way $$$$$ wise) or Central Park West, on which I could have affroded a rental facing a wall - But, I chickened out Also, two Scotties in an 800 sq. foot apt. and working all day is a receipe for TROUBLE Thus, I visit Manhattan with no commitment

BTW - if you want to get your socks knocked off - go here:

http://www.corcoran.com/property/lis...stingID=742970

Unreal isn't it

Please also note that to live here, you have to pay the entire $70 million in cash, have probably at least that much afterward, and be able to meet the $47,767 MONTHLY maintenance cost

Last edited by strandinthewind; 12-09-2004 at 08:06 PM..
Old 12-09-2004, 08:20 PM
golddustwoman77
This message has been deleted by golddustwoman77.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:

BTW - if you want to get your socks knocked off - go here:

http://www.corcoran.com/property/lis...stingID=742970

Unreal isn't it

Please also note that to live here, you have to pay the entire $70 million in cash, have probably at least that much afterward, and be able to meet the $47,767 MONTHLY maintenance cost
holy mamma!!! ~

sounds gorgeous & geez look @ the view u would have, but wowzer on that price!!!~
Old 12-09-2004, 08:38 PM
Senior Ledgie

December 8th really does seem to be a tragic day. 24 years to the day after John Lennon was senslessly killed, and former Pantera/Damageplan guitarist Dimebag Darrell is shot dead at a gig in Ohio, along with several fans. I just dont get this ****!