User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-20-2004, 10:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
I know. I think a big part of what "killed" the potential for a runaway record was the live morning appearance in NYC, where, and mind you I love FM, they sounded horrible for whatever reason. I know so many people from non-fans to casual fans to fans who saw that and were just right or wrong horrified by it. Then a few days later the Leno appearance was not much better. The Public is fickle, esp. when the act is over 50 and not in spandex. And that to me was sad. But, that is the way it was.
Damn skippy. When they made those appearances, I didn't even think they were the same band. I mean, even the AOL session songs weren't very good. But nothing beats the Today Show and Leno for sheer awfulness. Remember the threads from last year after they made those appearances? I think every one of us ripped them new assholes. And the Leno shows planted the seeds of inspiration for the song parodies.

Old 04-20-2004, 02:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yeah those performances on Leno and Today were HORRIBLE. But who knows maybe the band did that on purpose. Lower our standards for the tour and then BLOW US AWAY with their live shows. I know that was the case for me. The band that went on tour was not the same band that made those TV appearances.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 04-20-2004, 03:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Warner definitely put a lot of marketing muscle behind the release of SYW, so the issue is not lack of promotion.
I don't know if I agree. Was there really THAT much promotion. It must have SEEMED liek alot but really fir like ONE week they gave they did like a few things on ONE station. What if you're a non fanatic fan and you'e a CBS person They did Dateline, Leno, and The Today Show. How many people are up to watch the Today Show. And like I sadi some people watch Letterman. And if they were only doing NBC why didn't they at least do SNL for the first time in the band's history.

I will say radio stations around here played the hell out of Pecekeeper so it did get lots of radio play. And SYW got moderate play too. Thrown Down and SYHA got NONE.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 04-20-2004, 03:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarneVaca
The songs are definitely related. Who knows which came first? But their position in the sequence is telling. Not that Funny says, "don't blame me, please." There's still some emotional turmoil going on there, and the cacophony of guitar sounds at the end plays into that turmoil. In I Know I'm Not Wrong, the protagonist has made some more progress. There is resignation in his attitude: When he says don't blame me here, he's evolved from pleading, "don't blame me," to being certain he's right: "Don't blame me... I know I'm not wrong." Now compare the sing-songy riff in I Know I'm Not Wrong to the Not that Funny guitar work. The IKINW riff is structured and happy, as opposed to the pull-your-hair-out explosion of noise at the end of Not That Funny.
In a word: YES!

Great summation.
Old 04-20-2004, 03:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux
Really? I didn't know about the demo of SGCYM! It's ultimately my favourite song by Lindsey, I should have this. I put it on repeat when I fall asleep with my headphones on. So it pops up all over the place in my dreams. I need to hear this demo version. Where can I download it from?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarneVaca
There is a different mix, which is not actually a demo. I also have a demo of Deep Dense played on acoustic. Interested, Johnny?
I didn't realize there was a different version of "Somebody's Gotta Change Your Mind" either... I missed out on that one somehow.

Hopefully Nancy will be able to post it on her site... I'm interested in hearing it.
I agree with Lux... "SGCYM" is a brilliant song, and one of LB's all-time best.

Carne... I have two versions of "Deep Dense."
One is 4:13 in length, and the other is 4:41 in length. The latter version definitely sounds "finished," whereas the former is rougher and somewhat sparse.
Is this the version you're referring to, or is there a third version that I'm lacking?
Old 04-20-2004, 03:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

In regards to the album's success, I think it would have had more legs if the entire promotional blitz hadn't happened all within the first week it was in the stores.
It had a great first week, and then promotion all but died, and the album sold less and less each consecutive week.

But still, it is edging its way ever closer to a million copies sold, and that's nothing to sneeze at.
Old 04-20-2004, 03:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
In regards to the album's success, I think it would have had more legs if the entire promotional blitz hadn't happened all within the first week it was in the stores.
It had a great first week, and then promotion all but died, and the album sold less and less each consecutive week.

But still, it is edging its way ever closer to a million copies sold, and that's nothing to sneeze at.
But, how much more promotion could they have done? I mean there were ads in major mags, reviews (mostly favorable) in major magazines, radio, t.v., etc. I mean they had to get ready to go on tour. So, to me it was not the lack of promotion that caused the low sales numbers. Moreover, they have an entire taped concert for Blockbuster out there that no one has seen outside of the PK and SYW stuff and the random sniglets in the docs. I think that was to be used a la The Dance, but was not.

BTW - at if 180,000 units are needed to reach platinum, at an average of 5,000 units a week (which is optimitic at best) it will take 3 years. But, like you, my hope springs eternal

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 04-20-2004, 03:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Is this the version you're referring to, or is there a third version that I'm lacking?
If that IS the case, I'm interested,too.

Old 04-20-2004, 04:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
But, how much more promotion could they have done? I mean there were ads in major mags, reviews (mostly favorable) in major magazines, radio, t.v., etc. I mean they had to get ready to go on tour. So, to me it was not the lack of promotion that caused the low sales numbers. Moreover, they have an entire taped concert for Blockbuster out there that no one has seen outside of the PK and SYW stuff and the random sniglets in the docs. I think that was to be used a la The Dance, but was not.
That's one of the things I'm talking about... they needed to do something in conjunction with VH1. Have the network broadcast snippets from that Blockbuster Studios rehearsal concert, or do some little sit-down interview that they could have aired.

I was baffled that FLEETWOOD MAC had a brand new album coming out, and I wasn't seeing a single bit of promotion on VH1... not until the "Peacekeeper" video was finally released about a month later. And that wasn't much.

I also think they should have spread things out a little better, so that the Today Show, Dateline, and Leno appearances weren't all broadcast within the same 7-day timeframe.
Or perhaps appear on Letterman a few weeks later.

Anyway, it's all water under the bridge now.
Old 04-20-2004, 05:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
That's one of the things I'm talking about... they needed to do something in conjunction with VH1. Have the network broadcast snippets from that Blockbuster Studios rehearsal concert, or do some little sit-down interview that they could have aired.

I was baffled that FLEETWOOD MAC had a brand new album coming out, and I wasn't seeing a single bit of promotion on VH1... not until the "Peacekeeper" video was finally released about a month later. And that wasn't much.

I also think they should have spread things out a little better, so that the Today Show, Dateline, and Leno appearances weren't all broadcast within the same 7-day timeframe.
Or perhaps appear on Letterman a few weeks later.

Anyway, it's all water under the bridge now.
Interestingly, it made no sense whatsoever to me from then to release the Destiny Rules doc a year after the record. I mean people love reality t.v. They should have used that to their advantage and made a miniseries of the doc leading up to the record or released it with the record. That was a HUGE marketing mistake IMO.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 04-20-2004, 05:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Interestingly, it made no sense whatsoever to me from then to release the Destiny Rules doc a year after the record. I mean people love reality t.v. They should have used that to their advantage and made a miniseries of the doc leading up to the record or released it with the record. That was a HUGE marketing mistake IMO.
Holy cow, how true.

Old 04-20-2004, 05:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
I hadn't even thought of that! How awesome that would have been! Sigh.

Old 04-25-2004, 04:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux
Really? I didn't know about the demo of SGCYM! It's ultimately my favourite song by Lindsey, I should have this. I put it on repeat when I fall asleep with my headphones on. So it pops up all over the place in my dreams. I need to hear this demo version. Where can I download it from?
I put the rough outtake of SGCYM up this weekend, plus the demo versions of Deep Dense for good measure. Here's the link:

http://www.buckinghamnicks.net/fun/bootleg.html#request

Old 04-25-2004, 04:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Nacy, always coming through

He Will Burn You Down
Old 04-25-2004, 05:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Talking Coolness!

Thanks so much, Nancy!! I didn't have that rough version!
Old 04-25-2004, 10:42 PM
Lux
This message has been deleted by Lux.