The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Here's one more photo from Oct. 31, 1987 at the Boston Garden. This one from backstage....

Photobucket
Old 09-22-2009, 05:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This was my first Fleetwood Mac experience. I saw them at the Meadowlands. Although I was very disappionted that Lindsey was not on this tour, I was pleasantly surprised at how well Rick, and Billy seemed to blend with the band both musically and socially. I was unfamiliar with both of them until this point, they had their parts down and didn't come across as full of themselves. If anything they gave off the vibe of being honored to be a part of it, and that is what I found appealing. Stevie's vocals rocked, she seemed strong and confident, everyone just seemed to be enjoying themselves, the crowd was very receptive and let the band know it. Totally awesome experience.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

For those of you who went, did you know ahead of time that Lindsey wasn't in the band??
Old 09-22-2009, 06:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I honestly don't remember.lol, I know that's pretty bad right?
Old 09-22-2009, 09:36 PM
Registered

To answer the recent question posted, yes, I knew that LB had left the band and Billy Burnette and Rick Vito had joined well before I bought my concert tickets. It had been well publicized, there were full page photo ads of the new lineup in the concert ads in the Sunday newspapers, and there had been media coverage (magazines and MTV) about Lindsey leaving and it being a bitter split. I think LB being gone was one reason the tour was called 'Shake The Cage' so as not to misrepresent the tour as the same lineup on the 'Tango In The Night' album, though, of course, the tour was done to promote 'Tango'.
I don't think many fans of the band were unaware that LB was gone. Stevie had been quite vocal about the split , a nationally published article in US Magazine later became expanded in a book I have but need to find (ha!) and will later quote from, the paraphrased (here) quote of Stevie's was "IF Lindsey dares to hold up this band when we are ready to tour and need to tour, he will be very quickly shown that the band will go on without him, he can be replaced, Fleetwood Mac has always been about change"- and when the article was published, the Rick and Billy 'in' and LB 'out' tickets were on sale. It seemed fast, at the time, to me. So, I think it was widely known Lindsey had split.

Last edited by Nikolaj; 09-22-2009 at 09:38 PM..
Old 09-22-2009, 10:10 PM
Registered

I also just 'flashed' on there being quite a psychological similarity to the tour titles of 'Shake The Cage' and the current 'Unleashed'... almost like touring is a confining prison? Poor little animals being put up on display for the amusement of the zoo-goers Watch out, they're unleashed now!!!
Please do not feed the Stevies

Last edited by Nikolaj; 09-22-2009 at 10:17 PM..
Old 09-23-2009, 10:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I saw them in LA (David? Were we at the same show? Your description doesn't even come close to the experience I had!).

I thought it was the best Fleetwood Mac show I'd seen in over a decade.

Loved the song choices.

The set was unf***ingbelievable!! The stretch bolded below is probably the best 5 song stretch during any concert I've ever seen; not just FMac, but BY ANY ARTIST!!

Say You Love Me
The Chain
Dreams
Isn't it Midnight
Oh Well
Seven Wonders
Rattlesnake Shake
Over My Head
Gold Dust Woman
Has Anyone Ever Written Anything for You
I Loved Another Woman/Brown Eyes
Don't Let Me Down Again

World Turning
Little Lies
Stand Back
You Make Loving Fun
Don't Stop
Blue Letter
encores:
Go Your Own Way
Songbird
Old 09-23-2009, 11:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I saw them at the Forum. I had just moved to California in May. I saw them in December. I don't remember if I went to the first or second night.

I knew Lindsey was no longer in the band. If he had been in the band, I would have gone to both shows and would have hit Vegas and San Diego too.

I didn't think much of the show, thought Stevie was out of synch with the rest of the band most of the time. Found her jarring. But I do remember being very impressed with "Isn't it Midnight." Say You Love Me was also a highlight, but that one didn't surprise me. Midnight did.

Michele
Old 09-25-2009, 10:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

As far as the video of the shows in SF are concerned, I would echo other comments about the production thereof. Waaaaayyyyy too many close-ups of Stevie, not that she wasn't beautiful then as now, but come on!!

The video also did not do the entire show justice. It was only about an hour long, the actual show being much longer, the coverage of Mick's solo was edited very poorly and didn't do that justice either. I think it was generally just poorly edited.

I did like the fact that during that era, Rick and Billy didn't jump in over the top of John's bass solo in "The Chain". It's the man's only real time where he gets any solo attention, and Lindsey always seems to jump in on top of it.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjpdg View Post
As far as the video of the shows in SF are concerned, I would echo other comments about the production thereof. Waaaaayyyyy too many close-ups of Stevie, not that she wasn't beautiful then as now, but come on!!

The video also did not do the entire show justice. It was only about an hour long, the actual show being much longer, the coverage of Mick's solo was edited very poorly and didn't do that justice either. I think it was generally just poorly edited.

I did like the fact that during that era, Rick and Billy didn't jump in over the top of John's bass solo in "The Chain". It's the man's only real time where he gets any solo attention, and Lindsey always seems to jump in on top of it.
the whole video is garbage. It's shot like one long music video, which I suppose was the artistic direction and style at that time. What gets me is the slow motion effects...Why? Stevie was already in slow motion by that time, why slow her down even more? And she's looking into the camera most of the time. It's very distracting. The video completely sucked the energy and dynamic out of the live shows.

I remember it all...you just had to fall...
Old 10-01-2009, 03:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I just posted a little bit on this in the "first time" thread.

My first Mac show was this tour in Tampa, Florida. It was at the University of South Florida SunDome and I lived on campus, so all I had to do was walk up the road to the show.

I thought it was a great show. I thought the band did a real nice job. I missed Lindsey, but loved that it took two musicians to replace him.

Everyone just seemed happy, which wasn't something I'd previously associated with the band. I remember thinking Christine in particular was marvelous.

I wish I could remember every single detail. I'm just really glad I have this memory to have at all.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman408 View Post
For those of you who went, did you know ahead of time that Lindsey wasn't in the band??
I think I knew. I don't think it's revisionist history.
Old 10-01-2009, 05:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheart View Post
the whole video is garbage. It's shot like one long music video, which I suppose was the artistic direction and style at that time. What gets me is the slow motion effects...Why? Stevie was already in slow motion by that time, why slow her down even more? And she's looking into the camera most of the time. It's very distracting. The video completely sucked the energy and dynamic out of the live shows.

Good one!
Old 10-03-2009, 03:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheart View Post

Agreed!!!!
Old 10-03-2009, 04:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I don´t think that it´s so bad. It´s just 80´s style... but it´s true, that it would be great if there would be simply concert video without any changing...

I want Stevie to tour in Europe!