The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-12-2024, 07:25 AM

This song is so under-rated we need a new term for it.

What a beautiful find. I've always adored this song and album.
Old 03-12-2024, 10:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I wish we could have a panel discussion on this song alone and bring Bob and Chris in for it. The musical track (no singing) is one of the happiest tracks the Mac has ever recorded. Its bouncy heaven and puts you in a good mood. It makes you want to sing along. The stripped down acoustic with only singing brings out a more somber Chris even though the singing is the same.
Here is what I want to know. Did Chris bring a demo and she or the band say "we dont want to have another Why song so lets do something upbeat" OR did the band already have this track and Chris put her lyrics or demo to it. I know music arrangement can change the dynamic of a song. This is a perfect example. Does anyone think the inspiration to Why is also the inspiration to this song? Is this why she plays the intro to this song before doing Why in concert in 1974?
Was it done on purpose to put a extremely happy upbeat musical track to a somber broken heart song by Chris?
Old 03-12-2024, 01:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

In one of his Q&As, Bob cited this song as one of his favs of hers because he liked its elaborate production. Not sure how responsible he was for it, but the inclusion of the arp string ensemble makes me think much of the arrangement was down to Christine.

The piano drives the track and everything else is layered in — or so it seems to me.

The drums do not mesh well with the song. They’re too overblown.
Old 03-12-2024, 02:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Okay, not sure this is the appropriate forum or thread….
But what would the ultimate Christine McVie retrospective consist of?
What would it be called? Songbird has been used. Ditto Don’t Stop. Maybe Christine McVie: Everywhere. Maybe ‘Christine McVie Makes Loving Fun’. Or maybe just plain old….The Very Best of Christine McVie

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 03-12-2024, 03:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
In one of his Q&As, Bob cited this song as one of his favs of hers because he liked its elaborate production. Not sure how responsible he was for it, but the inclusion of the arp string ensemble makes me think much of the arrangement was down to Christine.

The piano drives the track and everything else is layered in — or so it seems to me.

The drums do not mesh well with the song. They’re too overblown.
Why also has strings which maybe is not a coincidence. I suppose Chris really liked that impact on Why and maybe decided to put them on this song. However unlike Why where the music is a somber feeling, the vibe of the musical track is beyond peppy and happy. Its a unique take on the song.
Heroes scores each of Christine signature songs. Two hurt love songs with hope, one angry song (rare), and the signature pop song. She always had the knack but this album showed she was on her way to becoming one of the best pop song writers in pop/rock history.
Old 03-12-2024, 03:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Okay, not sure this is the appropriate forum or thread….
But what would the ultimate Christine McVie retrospective consist of?
What would it be called? Songbird has been used. Ditto Don’t Stop. Maybe Christine McVie: Everywhere. Maybe ‘Christine McVie Makes Loving Fun’. Or maybe just plain old….The Very Best of Christine McVie
Christine McVie: Skies The Limit
(the very best of)
Old 03-12-2024, 04:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Not a bad title….except I wouldn’t put that song on the collection, so….

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 03-13-2024, 12:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Listening to this now. It’s doing me a delight. I almost feel I could reach out and touch Christine, but not in a creepy way.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 03-13-2024, 03:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Listening to this now. It’s doing me a delight. I almost feel I could reach out and touch Christine, but not in a creepy way.
I had the same feeling. She felt so close to me. The intimacy of it—just her voice and that strumming guitar…
Old 03-14-2024, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
I had the same feeling. She felt so close to me. The intimacy of it—just her voice and that strumming guitar…
Ditto, much like the 2023 re-master. It seems her voice is way better than I ever thought. And I've always adored her voice.

Reaching out and touching it is such a good "as if"!! It's so true.
Old 03-14-2024, 01:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
Yes, there should be an official release to commemorate Christine's brilliant career.
I'm not sure how that would work, since most of her song catalog consists of Fleetwood Mac songs. Would Warner Brothers Records/Rhino release a compilation of only Christine songs with the band - combined with a few solo tracks?

I've made my own Christine playlist on my Spotify account. An official career retrospective would be great.
Lovely!

That’s the song that made me realize that, as much as I love him, Fleetwood Mac wasn’t getting to the next level with Bob. Put that song on an album full of pop gems and it would still be a radio staple today. I wish they’d have done that live in 1975 with the Buckingham Nicks harmonies.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 03-16-2024, 07:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Wow! Amazing to hear that pristine Christine vocal up front and centre- it was buried in the mix on the original. This would be a massive classic had it appeared on the 75 album- one of her very best and rivals Why and even Songbird. Beautiful exquisite song.
Old 03-16-2024, 10:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Ice View Post
Wow! Amazing to hear that pristine Christine vocal up front and centre- it was buried in the mix on the original. This would be a massive classic had it appeared on the 75 album- one of her very best and rivals Why and even Songbird. Beautiful exquisite song.
Agreed. She said in an early 80s interview that it was Prove Your Love that she wanted to re-record with Buckingham and Nicks. This would have been the song to do it. I love the album version in all of its glitz and happiness and I love this stripped down somber version. I can talk about Heroes all day so I will stop here
Old 03-16-2024, 09:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Agreed. She said in an early 80s interview that it was Prove Your Love that she wanted to re-record with Buckingham and Nicks. This would have been the song to do it. I love the album version in all of its glitz and happiness and I love this stripped down somber version. I can talk about Heroes all day so I will stop here
PYL would have been perfect for Lindsey’s production style.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 03-19-2024, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Lovely!

That’s the song that made me realize that, as much as I love him, Fleetwood Mac wasn’t getting to the next level with Bob. Put that song on an album full of pop gems and it would still be a radio staple today. I wish they’d have done that live in 1975 with the Buckingham Nicks harmonies.
It's just the simple truth. The melody and her core ideas for the song are just brilliant. This demo shows just how solid of a songwriter Christine was.